Caribbean site we are working on

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
For those that contacted me via the "what is it" section, some photo's from the site in the Caribbean we have been working for the last couple of years. At the moment we are talking with a governement in the Caribbean to open a museum there as a tourist attraction. It will cover the whole piracy era, re-create a dig and go on to cover the whole history of the region from Pre Columbus with several thousand original exhibits. From our site we have found many crosses, coins, pottery pieces and object from everyday life. The site appears to be some sort of semi-permanent camp used by pirates or traders around the early 1700's. The first picture is me in a defensive ditch that goes around 3 sides of the site. There will be a series of books to to with the museum using original artifacts to illustrate them, they are written and due to be printed later in the year.

Attachments

• DC1 and DC2 3156.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 3156.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 5,754
  • DC1 and DC2 2982.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 2982.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,767
  • DC1 and DC2 2984.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 2984.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5,701
  • DC1 and DC2 3035.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 3035.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5,746
  • DC1 and DC2 3094.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 3094.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 5,711
  • DSC02497.JPG
    DSC02497.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 5,614
Upvote 4

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This sounds like an exciting undertaking with some wonderful possibilities ahead. We all look forward to many more posts with project updates.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
monacoauctions

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
Some further photo's, hopefully if we get the go ahead to build a museum we will be able to display a whole array of stuff ; we are not looking for any funding for this project as hopefully we will get a building at a very low rent and sales from the series of books will contribute to the costs. However anyone with any ideas or experience in marketing this type of venture would be welcome to contact me. There are thousands of items in store awaiting conservation/cleaning as everything has been left as found until we know exactly what direction the project is heading.

Attachments

• 294.JPG
    294.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 5,515
  • 082.JPG
    082.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 5,537
  • DSC02496.JPG
    DSC02496.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 5,545
  • DC1 and DC2 3029.jpg
    DC1 and DC2 3029.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 5,584
OP
OP
monacoauctions

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
Few more pics, C17/18th fishing hook/weights, knife with stamped date 1705 on blade with sharpening stone, C17/18th copper cook pot, cannon balls, Spanish ? cloak clasp in bronze, C17/18th ship's gaff. I am keen to hear opinions on how things should be on display - do you think it is better to do a big display with everything as found or go down the road of cleaning everything ? All museums i have been to seem to clean everything, my taste is to see artifacts as they have been found .

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 5,464
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,468
  • 203.JPG
    203.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 5,433
  • 229.JPG
    229.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 5,425
  • 364.JPG
    364.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 5,396
  • 232.JPG
    232.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 5,392

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Awesome findes, thanks for sharing them. What are the little spoon like things in the first post? As fa as displaying, I gree leaving them as found only lightly cleaned is good, perhaps when you have multiple of the same item show it in various stages of cleaning.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow! Excellent finds. We are over here in the Dominican Republic and are about to begine our search for pirate Roberto Cofresi's Black Eagle which wrecked in our territory on the north coast of Hispaniola. We have a good idea where she lies, just haven't gotten out there with a mag yet to find her. When we do we might be interested in an artifact sharing program for your museum or something along those lines.

Keep us posted, really cool project man. I wish you the best of luck.

Jason

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To go a step further, we have a slightly different approach to "cleaning artifacts" that you may find interesting. All artifacts should be conserved...but all that means is to stop the oxidation and remove any salts/chlorides or other impurities that might further degrade the condition of the artifact. However, once this is done, I see no need to polish them up to look like the day they were made. Most of our artifacts are from shipwrecks, and need conservation immediately upon removal from the water. I usually leave a few coral buttons or encrustation on everything because the artifacts are more interesting in their "as found" condition. So in my humble opinion, you should stop any degradation, but leave them looking like they just came out of the ground or water in most cases. Often it's nice to have a shined up cross pendant or something, but in general I like 'em still dirty.

My 2 cents anyways...keep us posted, and let me know when the books are available...I'll certainly own a set. Are you the author?

Jason

OP
OP
monacoauctions

monacoauctions

Feb 27, 2009
Monte- Carlo
The small bronze spoons on the log are made from bronze , they appear to be gunpowder measures, i can't think of any other use. A hoard of them were found , in total about 40 wrapped in what remained of a linen bag that just disintigrated. I would think that they were measures for a pistol as they are too small for a musket size measure of powder. Maybe they were a merchant's stock or were Navy ? there are no markings on any of them and they are all the same size, at a guess i would say they are late C17th or early C18th.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome Treasures !

Keep us Posted :thumbsup:

JEFF

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScubaFinder said:
To go a step further, we have a slightly different approach to "cleaning artifacts" that you may find interesting. All artifacts should be conserved...but all that means is to stop the oxidation and remove any salts/chlorides or other impurities that might further degrade the condition of the artifact. However, once this is done, I see no need to polish them up to look like the day they were made. Most of our artifacts are from shipwrecks, and need conservation immediately upon removal from the water. I usually leave a few coral buttons or encrustation on everything because the artifacts are more interesting in their "as found" condition. So in my humble opinion, you should stop any degradation, but leave them looking like they just came out of the ground or water in most cases. Often it's nice to have a shined up cross pendant or something, but in general I like 'em still dirty.

My 2 cents anyways...keep us posted, and let me know when the books are available...I'll certainly own a set. Are you the author?

Jason
Yes Jason, that is the way to go with relics/artifacts. And that way they are much more valuable and interesting...

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: wow keep us informed on what happens an show us more pics their great

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread