3-4 pounds of pain

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k., found this last fall, but because I've just signed up I figured I might as well share this one.
After working some mountain paths (really rocky area, big pain, heavy iron content in the rock) for a few hours, I followed one sloping, overgrown one down a steep incline, gettting down to the bottom I found nothing, figuring the day was pretty much a loss, I made my way back up. It was on the way up I got a super strong signal...most of the time these turn out to be huge pieces of scrap so imagine my amazement when I found this...

Attachments

• morning star.jpg
    morning star.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,075
  • morning star 2.jpg
    morning star 2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 2,085
Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW.... that is a *fantastic* find!!! I bet that ended your day off on a high note!
Great job & Welcome to T-Net!!! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about a description of the item including date?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
am I going blind :icon_scratch: or is that a Medieval Mace :dontknow: and whats it doing in Canada :icon_scratch:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
am I going blind :icon_scratch: or is that a Medieval Mace :dontknow: and whats it doing in Canada :icon_scratch:

my thoughts exactly, maybe Spanish 17th C, but thats a wild guess, I'm clueless on this one :dontknow:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
This could have been a mace at one point, which someone turned into a military flail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_(weapon)) or morning star, because of the broken chain link attached to it.

Here is another example of a similar morning star found in Montreal, Canada...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3207104760/

Bran <><
No, that's mine I'm papapico for my photography.
And I'm figuring it's definitely a morning star. There are marks which could possibly be from combat use. I agree w/ silver searcher, medieval, but as for how it's here? No clue. From any images of seen (paintings, lithographs, ect. ) of Cartier, or any early Canadiana, there's never been any morning stars, or maces for that matter.....

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mile-ender said:
No, that's mine I'm papapico for my photography.
And I'm figuring it's definitely a morning star. There are marks which could possibly be from combat use. I agree w/ silver searcher, medieval, but as for how it's here? No clue. From any images of seen (paintings, lithographs, ect. ) of Cartier, or any early Canadiana, there's never been any morning stars, or maces for that matter.....

AH!!! lol
I was thinking that it looked awfully similar... but I just figured that maybe it was lost by the same race of people that lost yours. lol
Well a "morning star" was the first thing I thought of when I saw it... as far as the age, I'm not even sure.
Definitely looks pretty old...
Hope you can get a solid ID on it!

Bran <><

Cuthroat

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Have you emailed a university or museum to get their opinion on it? I would love to know more about it and why it is in Canada. Assuming it is authenticly old and not some recreation someobdy lost years ago while playing "knights" up in the hills ha ha.

Weird find, want to know more.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuthroat said:
Have you emailed a university or museum to get their opinion on it? I would love to know more about it and why it is in Canada. Assuming it is authenticly old and not some recreation someobdy lost years ago while playing "knights" up in the hills ha ha.

Weird find, want to know more.
Same thing I was thinking...Contacted museums by phone and e-mail, always get the run around at some point this summer I may just start doing the rounds with it. Bring it down in person, maybe to the university as well.
I can tell you though, holding it, I'm pretty damn sure it's not a reproduction. I wouldn't wanna be smacked outside the head with it ;)

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That item has created areas of envy in my heart I've solely missed. That is one fine piece of military history.
Carl

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Cru... would the mold seem mean anything? Could that help date it? It's remarkably clean for something assumed that old...

I dunno... just asking...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Cru... would the mold seem mean anything? Could that help date it? It's remarkably clean for something assumed that old...

I dunno... just asking...

I not very up on weapons, so won't like to comment. I've seen sandinavian examples & they are not the same.

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just think of how many possible skulls were split open with that thing. :headbang:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you say ouch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions