One of the best treasure finds in US. Must see.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This has got to be one of the greatest treasure finds ever recorded in the United States. It is the recovery of the steamboat Arabia found near Kansas City, Missouri near the Missouri River that sunk in the 1850's. Read the story and watch the video of the finds. The leather goods are as if new today, buttons, pocket knives, guns, kitchenware and thousands of other items were recovered and in near new condition. I went to the museum several years ago and found it to be one of the best I have ever seen. Everything in the museum came from this ship. I highly recommend watching the video and read the stories and go to the museum if possible. They are still cleaning items to be displayed. These are just a few pictures from ship. You must see in person to get the true impact of this great find. Their website is http://www.1856.com/

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the link.

I watched the video, pretty cool seeing all the stuff they recovered. Hard to imagine it ended up 45 feet under a modern field. To think how excited we get by finding a single button or other object and they pulled them out by the dozens.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have been there 4 times in the last 12 years, there is always something new on display. One of the guys that dug it up, his daughter worked as a waitress for me while she was in college. I got to meet him several times and talk about a lot of the things they went through to get to where they are today. It is an incredible story and well worth the visit to the museum. Anyone who likes treasure hunting should make it a point to go there if they are even close to Kansas city.

HH Charlie

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I was there once. My sister live an hour away from KC. Would love to go back again. It is an awesome place.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
savant365 said:
I have been there 4 times in the last 12 years, there is always something new on display. One of the guys that dug it up, his daughter worked as a waitress for me while she was in college. I got to meet him several times and talk about a lot of the things they went through to get to where they are today. It is an incredible story and well worth the visit to the museum. Anyone who likes treasure hunting should make it a point to go there if they are even close to Kansas city.

HH Charlie

LOL, small world. I dated your employee, J.H., for a couple years. The family is great and they recently found another boat in another field not too far from my home town. Not sure when they are going to start digging that one up but look for it in the next couple of years.

Shield

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions