johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are probably my best coin and button finds to date. The 1793 "wreath back" large cent I found using a whites on a property in Bucks County once frequented by Alexander Hamilton. (Near the site I also years later found a chain back, but made the mistake of washing it in water which left it looking like an unrecognizable sea sponge!) That entire property has been developed since.

The second large cent is the rare "Jefferson head" variety (about 25 known) which I found on a site which had been an Inn during and after the Rev. War. I also found a Continental Army button (Albert's G14R4) which I gave to the land owner, and which is registered in the Pa. Senate record. It was used in an attempt to stall the building of a rock quarry, but that attempt was unsucessful. My batteries had gone dead in the whites, and I used the fisher aquanaut "backup" to find this one.

The "Long Live the President" button (laurel wreath variety) is one of five to seven known, and I found this also at an Inn which was in use during the period, and which was on the route from Philadelphia to New York, the site of the innauguration. I published this find year ago in an article in the now defunct "Treasure Magazine" called "Treasures from the Plow" in which I mentioned what detector I used. I think it was the fisher or the whites. I didn't know it at the time, but there is evidence that this set of buttons was possibly made for General Monroe to wear at the innauguration. It makes sense, as the Inn was not only within sight of where he may have crossed the river, but also the area where he recouperated afterwards. This site also has been completely developed, with even the roads location moved several huindred feet to accomodate the new houses.

The last button I found a few weeks ago. It is the backmarked "Monroe" campaign button listed in Albert's as "PC75". It is by far the rarest of the four finds, with possibly two or three known that I can account for including this one. I used the new etrac with a six inch coil, after systematically skimming earth off of a 4' by 8' area to a final depth of roughly 20". The ground was loaded with square nails per square foot which made this necessary. This site thankfully has not been developed, nor will it be in the foreseable future, as I found it in my back yard.

The first buckle I found this week at a worked out foundation on the Delaware. It's the first U.S. Navy Buckle (rarity 9), The second buckle (plate) is U.S. Militia dating from 1810 which I found when the old Logan Inn in New Hope was remodeled. It had been outside the hearthstone doorway under the overhang all these years. (rarity 6.) The other two are the more common Civil War-1870 era "U.S. and sword buckles which I found buried along with a flagstaff and iron fence in the backyard of a home in Pennsylvania. They were found between the iron of a collapsed wrought iron fence along with a Civil War flagstaff which I gave to the owner. I think it may have been a memorial to a soldier who lived there, but I was never allowed to dig the fence and remove it to detect beneath for the remainig pieces. There is a piece of the belt remaining, as well as some clay I used to reinforce areas which were fragile. (rarity 1 and rarity 4 respectively)

Attachments

• better picture.jpg
    better picture.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 162
  • best finds.jpg
    best finds.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 755
  • better picture.jpg
    better picture.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 167
  • buckle fronts.jpg
    buckle fronts.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 157
  • buckles verso.jpg
    buckles verso.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: best button and large cent finds

Nice swamp dollars! and button.....Kane 23

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome finds, you are one heck of a relic hunter to find so many rarities. I guess that's what research, Patience and knowing how to use your detector can get you. congrats on a wonderful collection. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"awesome finds, you are one heck of a relic hunter to find so many rarities. I guess that's what research, Patience and knowing how to use your detector can get you. congrats on a wonderful collection."

Thanks collector1. I attribute it to generally good locations, lots and lots of time spent walking, and blind luck! As far as knowing my detector is concerned, I have to confess that one of my biggest regrets, (and one that's probably shared by many of us here,) has been to have spent so many years not knowing it well enough due to laziness, and depending for far too long on "pre-sets" simply because back then the pickin's were good. I must have passed over many smaller objects in those days, including some smaller irregular "bits" and possibly gold. As you know, today you have to know your detector and stretch it as far as it will go if you're going to find what others have missed. By the way, the Monroe button was a case of blind luck, as I picked a random place to trench and found it, and what trenches I've dug in the area since have been basically "dry holes". Thanks again.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool finds - I'd be happy w/them for sure!

HH

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Lonewolfe. When I found the "Long Live the President" and the 1795 "Jefferson head" they were delayed reactions as I didn't immediately know what they were exactly. By the time I dug the "Monroe" it was instant backflips because by then it was on my "wish list" and I knew exactly what it was. I was hoping that by posting these last two here I could discover if anyone has ever found either in the ground before? So far I'm at a dead end on that quest, but maybe soon I'll hear somethiong I hope.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some super finds for sure, I just started checking around about the Jefferson Cent and so far, noone has ever heard of one being found, so that was quite a rare find you made years ago. I will continue checking

Like I thought, my one well versed buddy on buttons does remember seeing one Monroe button before, but like me, cannot remember where, I will keep pursueing that one also for more information......... Now would not it be nice to find another one on the property, but shhhhhhhh, if you do, afterall, then there would be more than one or two known to be found. :wink:

Perhaps about as good as anyone could ever post for 4 of their best finds, without a doubt! :hello2:

Don

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: wtg

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

johnnyi said:
I have to confess that one of my biggest regrets, (and one that's probably shared by many of us here,) has been to have spent so many years not knowing it well enough due to laziness, and depending for far too long on "pre-sets" simply because back then the pickin's were good. I must have passed over many smaller objects in those days, including some smaller irregular "bits" and possibly gold. As you know, today you have to know your detector and stretch it as far as it will go if you're going to find what others have missed.

Fantastic finds, Johnny. I pride myself with knowing my detector, its features and its limitations. As I get to know it better and better, I can push the envelope and find things that I missed on previous hunts. Research is always king, however. The more research you do, the luckier you will be!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! What a group of finds. Knowledge and persistence pay off once again. Congrats and keep at it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions