Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    **Bring History Back to Life**

Nov 2005
    Keep on Digging!
    MINELAB Explorer-II
    76 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime

Finding this coin was a shocker ,A Colonial site near Genesseo N.Y. That my friend Tim? invited me to hunt turned out to be great when this coin popped out ,knowing it was silver I showed Tim the piece before I wiped the dirt off. You could see the edge so I was hoping it was not a spanish real. The area gave up a number of flowing haired large cents ,and Colonial coppers, so when another friend Jim B came over I gave it to him and I said just tell me it's a U.S. Coin, He said it says America on the reverse. We knew it was going to be good so when we cleaned it off in a small mud puddle you can see the beautiful lady on? the front with the date. I yelled yes, this was the best coin at least Silver that I have ever found...So I thanked Tim who took me to the site by taking him to the site i found? and he found the 2 best Pieces there as I discussed in the Todays find Post.... When I got home and looked it up in the coin book I was even more excited when I learned that there were only 15600 minted? ......I can just say that Relic Hunting and the Research to find these spots are what makes this hobby so much fun and to enjoy finding nice pieces to share with others.....John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 009 Large Web view.jpg 
Views:	1749 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	75072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 004 Large Web view.jpg 
Views:	1749 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	75073  
    Keep on Digging!

bk
    us
    Seeker of Fortune

Jan 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
    61 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime

Excellent coin! Something I have never found. It took me 30 years to find my first bust coin.

us
    Looking for that ONE find.

Nov 2005
    South Central Kansas
    Etrac
    87 times

Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime

Living in Kansas I can only dream about that kind of coin. It sure is a beauty. WTG. Research sure is important.

H H Burdie

Aug 2005
    Idaho
    6 times

Amazing find -- Even at good grade it's over an $800.00 coin -- that pays of a detector pretty quick -- CONGRATS 8)

Oct 2005
    Salem, Missouri
    16 times

Awesome coin! Not in perfect shape though....you should probably just throw it out. Or better yet, give it to me...I'll take good care of it!
    By 2064, experts say man will have established twelve colonies on the sun, ideal for family vacations.

Jan 2005
    Indiana
    Minelab E-Trac
    2 times

Great coin John! That must be a thrill of a lifetime to find a Daraped Bust silver! I found my oldest silver this year but it was "only" an 1833 Capped Bust half dime! I hunted in Genesseo back in the mid 80s. Our Company had a factory in Warsaw and I used to get there quite a bit. How long have you been hunting? Do you know any of the old timers from Warsaw who used to hunt?
    Keep your coil to the soil....

Oct 2005
    Missouri

WOW! Great coin and congrats.

BPhillips

Mar 2003
    Eastern NY
    White's Spectrum
    156 times

This is really impressive, given that the 1805 is one of the less common early dates.? It would have been much more likely that you would have found an 1800 or 1803.? There are only about ~150 of these 1805 coins known to exist.? This is also the first draped bust half dime I've seen come out of the ground, period.? If I were you, I'd document the location of the find and take a few pictures, and keep them along with the coin, as it adds to the historical interest & value of the coin.? Otherwise, once you sell the piece, its history is lost forever.? My best guess on its auction value is probably around $750 to $1,000, in spite of minor scratches and signs of ground recovery.? Congratulations on digging a really rare one!?

us
    Wolfpack Life Member

Mar 2005
    Stephens City, Virginia
    Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
    40 times

A very sweet find. Thanks for posting.

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    143 times
    eating

Those BUST coins have a very special beauty that is unmatched by any other type (in my opinion).
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

bk
    us
    Seeker of Fortune

Jan 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
    61 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb
    Those BUST coins have a very special beauty that is unmatched by any other type (in my opinion).
    I Agree

us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    560 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice,

have only found 1 bust piece in my detecting career so far,

hh

lonewolfe

**Bring History Back to Life**

Nov 2005
    Keep on Digging!
    MINELAB Explorer-II
    76 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Well the snow is melting here in Western NY . Hope to get out on monday to the old place and see what we can find.....Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.....Seeker :P 8)
    Keep on Digging!

Mar 2005
    Merrill,Wi.
    3 times

Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dim

Congrats on a rare coin find.It's great that the weather is mild there and you
    are still able to get out and hunt.? Here in Wisconsin you'd need a pick axe to
    do any digging. We've had a bit of a thaw the last couple of days and I'm hoping
    it's enough to get out for a winter hunt. Once again congrats on the Draped bust silver
    and best of luck to you and your freinds on future hunts. Merry Christmas!

us
    Jan 2005
    Great Falls, Montana
    White's DFX & a Sunray probe
    31 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow, Seeker. I guess that answered my question about finding any old silver. Congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links