Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime

Finding this coin was a shocker ,A Colonial site near Genesseo N.Y. That my friend Tim? invited me to hunt turned out to be great when this coin popped out ,knowing it was silver I showed Tim the piece before I wiped the dirt off. You could see the edge so I was hoping it was not a spanish real. The area gave up a number of flowing haired large cents ,and Colonial coppers, so when another friend Jim B came over I gave it to him and I said just tell me it's a U.S. Coin, He said it says America on the reverse. We knew it was going to be good so when we cleaned it off in a small mud puddle you can see the beautiful lady on? the front with the date. I yelled yes, this was the best coin at least Silver that I have ever found...So I thanked Tim who took me to the site by taking him to the site i found? and he found the 2 best Pieces there as I discussed in the Todays find Post.... When I got home and looked it up in the coin book I was even more excited when I learned that there were only 15600 minted? ......I can just say that Relic Hunting and the Research to find these spots are what makes this hobby so much fun and to enjoy finding nice pieces to share with others.....John

Attachments

• Picture 009 Large Web view.jpg
    Picture 009 Large Web view.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,777
  • Picture 004 Large Web view.jpg
    Picture 004 Large Web view.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,775
Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime

Excellent coin! Something I have never found. It took me 30 years to find my first bust coin.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dime

Living in Kansas I can only dream about that kind of coin. It sure is a beauty. WTG. Research sure is important.

H H Burdie

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

Amazing find -- Even at good grade it's over an $800.00 coin -- that pays of a detector pretty quick -- CONGRATS 8)

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

Awesome coin! Not in perfect shape though....you should probably just throw it out. Or better yet, give it to me...I'll take good care of it! ;)

Keith (Indiana)

Jan 4, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

Great coin John! That must be a thrill of a lifetime to find a Daraped Bust silver! I found my oldest silver this year but it was "only" an 1833 Capped Bust half dime! I hunted in Genesseo back in the mid 80s. Our Company had a factory in Warsaw and I used to get there quite a bit. How long have you been hunting? Do you know any of the old timers from Warsaw who used to hunt?

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

This is really impressive, given that the 1805 is one of the less common early dates.? It would have been much more likely that you would have found an 1800 or 1803.? There are only about ~150 of these 1805 coins known to exist.? This is also the first draped bust half dime I've seen come out of the ground, period.? If I were you, I'd document the location of the find and take a few pictures, and keep them along with the coin, as it adds to the historical interest & value of the coin.? Otherwise, once you sell the piece, its history is lost forever.? My best guess on its auction value is probably around $750 to $1,000, in spite of minor scratches and signs of ground recovery.? Congratulations on digging a really rare one!?

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

A very sweet find. Thanks for posting.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Those BUST coins have a very special beauty that is unmatched by any other type (in my opinion).

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Zeb said:
Those BUST coins have a very special beauty that is unmatched by any other type (in my opinion).

I Agree

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice,

have only found 1 bust piece in my detecting career so far,

hh

lonewolfe

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well the snow is melting here in Western NY . Hope to get out on monday to the old place and see what we can find.....Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.....Seeker :) ;D :P 8)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dim

Congrats on a rare coin find.It's great that the weather is mild there and you
are still able to get out and hunt.? Here in Wisconsin you'd need a pick axe to
do any digging. We've had a bit of a thaw the last couple of days and I'm hoping
it's enough to get out for a winter hunt. Once again congrats on the Draped bust silver
and best of luck to you and your freinds on future hunts. Merry Christmas!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, Seeker. I guess that answered my question about finding any old silver. Congratulations.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spring was good , finding my best coin this year 1805 -Draped Bust Half Dim

What an AWESOME find!! :)

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the best U.S. Silver I have found to date...Thanks for all the kind words......... ;D

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This coin is a rare find....and its staying in my collection....unless the price is right......lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread