CS eggshaped oval belt plate

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
I found this in the early 90's on a Saturday.....the day before Easter...I got it in a heavilly md'd spot in Gainesville Va in a field that is now A huuuuuuge commercial develpment..as most of my sites are now. The construction was just into the early earthmoving stages. Half of the field was cordoned off w/ black erosion control fencing & being left alone because they were waiting (for many years) to have a burial plot from the original farm to be moved..One day somebody screwed up & ran the bulldozer through the fencing & plowed a spot as wide as the blade & only about 4 inches deep then backed up. we all of a sudden started finding sharps tie ring bullets all over in about a 10 foot square..over 200 between my buddy Dave Beveridge & I.. I often wonder if Dave is on here, havent heard from him in years...anyway, we started finding pack rivets & buttons and other stuff and more and more tie rings. Another buddy walking to the site (detector off) picks up an Austrian 4 sided bayonnete just sticking out of the freshly piled dirt, which last I saw him was actually being used on his reenacting rifle, since it cleaned up so well!!! Since we were all of a sudden finding stuff after everyone had all but given up & went elsewhere, we hit the area with weedeaters & lawnmowers...it was a hayfield & the hay was close to 4' high.. The farmhouse was used by both sides as headquarters & a hospital numerous times during both battles of Bull Run or Manassas, depending on what side you're on...and we found all kinds of union & cs stuff...When I found this plate, I saw the back first & was thinking it was just a spoon, until I dipped it in a puddle to clean it a little & saw CS!!!! I went back the next day on Easter & dug an almost perfect Eagle breast plate in a poison ivy patch that I knew obody had ventured into...I'll post that another time I could ramble on but since I went too far down the screen it is going nuts and making me crazy trying to type

Attachments

• cs egg1.jpg
    cs egg1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 649
  • cs egg 2.jpg
    cs egg 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 619
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jpitt1970

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
not in great shape, but really rare to dig one.. I had a guy offer me 1000 bucks 20 minutes after I dug it....also the back is engraved w/ lover's initials...I'll break it out again soon & let you guys know what the initials are, but I don't handle it very much...this was the first time in over 20 years...my relic room is in transit now because of a water problem and my friggin camera is busted...this is a scanned image..I'll get better pics later

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a great find!!! I have been MD'ing hard for about ten years now and found my first belt plate, here in Arkansas just last week. A U.S. plate but was in great shape and still had some leather on the back. As happy as I was I can only imagine the fit I would have if it had been a CS oval. Once again that is a wonderful find...d2

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro
Great story. Stuff is still out there. Just gotta have a little luck.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find, I would love to find one in any shape. I wish I was older so I could have hunted before all the developments. I always hunt the poison ivy Hoping no one else hunted it but never find anything.

rryals

Greenie
Sep 20, 2013
Hot Springs AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a Arkansas oval belt plate im wanting to sell, what price should i ask for it? i know its rare this one dosnt have the puppy paws on the back and 2 small holes on each end of it. only thing i can figure someone had it nailed on the wall are something at one time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions