1820 and 1840 Gun Barrels

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I hunted for a long time and in one year I find 2 gun barrels and what a thrill. I have found some gun related items in the past but never two brass gun barrels. The "Cannon Gun Octagon Barrel" is a womens pistol that was made in the 1820's and is manufactured based on a cannon barrel design. The other is also a womens purse pistol from the 1840's. Both guns are of the cap and ball type and were made in Belgium. They are Hale Marked with the manufacturing stamp. The 1840 barrel is of French Design. I also found a musket ball that fit the barrel of the gun. Go figure !! Some said that they like other things then coins here is something different. Hope you like them. Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0002_2.JPG
    IMG_0002_2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_0003_2.JPG
    IMG_0003_2.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 761
Upvote 0

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive ! Did you find them in the same area? Can you tell us a little about the history of the place they were found? Congrats on the finds. ;D

OP
OP
H

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
The brass pistol barrels are all that remains. The wood stock of the gun have rotted away over time. These barrels were found about 10 months apart in areas of some old cellar holes located on private property and with the owners permission. It was an area that I deer hunted for 10 years before I took up detecting. Along with the French Barrel were found five large cents and a bust half dime. It was found at a depth of 8 inches and rang loud and clear. So if you have not found one don't worry you have not ran your coil over one. The octagon barrel was again found at a site that had a very old foundation. It was in an very wet area and was down at least 10 inches. I almost stopped digging due to the depth of the item. It was pure mud and mucky as heck with groundwater filling the hole. The barrel is a rare design and is shaped like a cannon. I saw a complete one for sale, it was priced at $2500.00 in ok condition. The items are minimal as far as value but the idea of holding them are sure historic pleasure. I have tossed the idea of cleaning and buffing them to the original luster but I can't bring myself to do that.
I have 2 complete guns that I have found that are from the 1920's I think. They are rusted solid and both were found in water. I am not sure if you can mention the type of detector used so I will only tell you that it is a high end detector. I have enjoyed posting some of my finds and hoped that I added a little more info about the barrels. Jim

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great story and someone will correct me if I am wrong...but I dont see any problem naming your detector.....heck we name everything and everyone else around here!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Im sure we would like to see the guns from the 20's too :) Theres no problem with posting your detector here, its a detecting forum :D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Actually now that I thing of it...everyone names their detectors in this forum...lately I have called mine..."you worthless peice of _____" ;)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was an earlier post on "what name did you give your detector"?

Nice gun barrels! Something I have never found.
A detecting friend was searching in an area where they were putting in a new parking lot, and found a cache of old guns. They were wrapped in something to protect them, but age did it's ugly thing. All the wood was rotted away, and they were in pretty rough shape. From the serial numbers and the type of guns, it was suspected that they were buried about the time of the Civil War. I believe they were donated to the local Historical Society.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread