1820 and 1840 Gun Barrels
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Bucky

Dec 2005
    NY
    E Track, Fisher 6a
    188 times
    Banner Finds (1)

1820 and 1840 Gun Barrels

I hunted for a long time and in one year I find 2 gun barrels and what a thrill. I have found some gun related items in the past but never two brass gun barrels. The "Cannon Gun Octagon Barrel" is a womens pistol that was made in the 1820's and is manufactured based on a cannon barrel design. The other is also a womens purse pistol from the 1840's. Both guns are of the cap and ball type and were made in Belgium. They are Hale Marked with the manufacturing stamp. The 1840 barrel is of French Design. I also found a musket ball that fit the barrel of the gun. Go figure !! Some said that they like other things then coins here is something different. Hope you like them. Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002_2.JPG 
Views:	700 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	76062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003_2.JPG 
Views:	732 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	76063  

us
    Tesoro Cibola

Jul 2005
    Massachusetts
    Tesoro Cibola
    14 times

Re: 1820 and 1840 Gun Barrels

Wow those are some awesome artifacts!!

Jul 2005
    Houston, TX.
    1 times

Boy you really have some great finds there, keep up the good work. HH
    Some days your the dog and other days your the hydrant

us
    Looking for that ONE find.

Nov 2005
    South Central Kansas
    Etrac
    87 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Very impressive ! Did you find them in the same area? Can you tell us a little about the history of the place they were found? Congrats on the finds.

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

These are really great...and yes can you give us a state or some history??
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

Nov 2005
    Excalibur,
    2 times

nice finds there,

us
    Bucky

Dec 2005
    NY
    E Track, Fisher 6a
    188 times
    Banner Finds (1)

The brass pistol barrels are all that remains. The wood stock of the gun have rotted away over time. These barrels were found about 10 months apart in areas of some old cellar holes located on private property and with the owners permission. It was an area that I deer hunted for 10 years before I took up detecting. Along with the French Barrel were found five large cents and a bust half dime. It was found at a depth of 8 inches and rang loud and clear. So if you have not found one don't worry you have not ran your coil over one. The octagon barrel was again found at a site that had a very old foundation. It was in an very wet area and was down at least 10 inches. I almost stopped digging due to the depth of the item. It was pure mud and mucky as heck with groundwater filling the hole. The barrel is a rare design and is shaped like a cannon. I saw a complete one for sale, it was priced at $2500.00 in ok condition. The items are minimal as far as value but the idea of holding them are sure historic pleasure. I have tossed the idea of cleaning and buffing them to the original luster but I can't bring myself to do that.
    I have 2 complete guns that I have found that are from the 1920's I think. They are rusted solid and both were found in water. I am not sure if you can mention the type of detector used so I will only tell you that it is a high end detector. I have enjoyed posting some of my finds and hoped that I added a little more info about the barrels. Jim

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

Great story and someone will correct me if I am wrong...but I dont see any problem naming your detector.....heck we name everything and everyone else around here!
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    Tesoro Cibola

Jul 2005
    Massachusetts
    Tesoro Cibola
    14 times

Im sure we would like to see the guns from the 20's too Theres no problem with posting your detector here, its a detecting forum

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

Actually now that I thing of it...everyone names their detectors in this forum...lately I have called mine..."you worthless peice of _____"

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyheart
    Actually now that I thing of it...
    What THINK THINK THINK So cold that it affecting my sp....brrrrrrr....elling

bk
    us
    Seeker of Fortune

Jan 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
    61 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

There was an earlier post on "what name did you give your detector"?

Nice gun barrels! Something I have never found.
    A detecting friend was searching in an area where they were putting in a new parking lot, and found a cache of old guns. They were wrapped in something to protect them, but age did it's ugly thing. All the wood was rotted away, and they were in pretty rough shape. From the serial numbers and the type of guns, it was suspected that they were buried about the time of the Civil War. I believe they were donated to the local Historical Society.

Oct 2005
    Charleston S.C.
    12 times

HUNT1805, Great Relics, YOU are most defiantly, on the right track. Best of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Sponsored Links