Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi T-Netters :icon_thumright:

This is what I consider the find of my life.

In the spring of 2008, I discovered a trading station (village) of the Vikings.
The place dates in the period of about 800 - 940 AD.
Especially sensational is the find of 9 coins of the Carolingian Empire, that do not look as if they have been used as trading silver, but as coins. That could indicate whole new knowledge about the early use of coins in Denmark.
The arab Dirhem coins were used as trading silver, together with large amounts of cut silver rings and other silver items.
In the picture you can also see some of my finds of typical viking fibulae.
The find has been kept secret till now, because the place is situated on a very open place.
The next two weeks the archaeologists will make an excavation of the field.
After the first finds I called in my detector collegue, and we have together found about 300 metal objects on the site.
In one week I will paricipate for one week in the excavation on the site.

Here an assembly of some of my best finds from this viking trading village.

Enjoy ! :wink:

Regards, The Dane

fundkollage.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Thank you all for the nice words ! :thumbsup:

Latest update (as promised):
The excavation results show that it is probably an international beach market that has been on the location.
No signs of permanent buildings. But my theory is that there might have been some further away from the beach. Future excavations will show if or if not, I hope.
Plans of the museum are to make further investigations in 2010 or 2011.
The autumn (since the excavation) and winter have brought new finds from me and my detector collegue, we have the exclusive authority, given by the museum, to search the area. These finds are now sent to the museum. All finds are registered with precise GPS-coordinates.
Now everything is frozen and with snow on top, but we will continue the searches when it gets mild again.

Thank you for your interest ! :thumbsup:
The Dane

Sounds like a Seasonal Trading Port/area. Where they camped for agreed periods of time when the winds favoured trade from other countries (& when the weather was better). The other countries would know the best time to visit this place with goods to trade, & the beach/port would be controlled by one of the local King (type) people, & yes for the most part they would live further in land where it was less exposed. :icon_thumright:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like museum quality finds! Incredible!! :icon_thumright:

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
If our government was to share credit and pay us for our finds, we would disclose more of our finds and locations. I keep my finds private and enjoy looking, studying and only show to close friends. This statements for the feds. all my finds come from private with permission to hunt. If not for me and people like you they would NEVER seen or put in a basement to rot like so many are doing at this very moment.

Rickiowa2009

Mar 6, 2009
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Detector(s) used
GTP1350 Garrett, Xterra 705 gold pack and ace250!
TheDane said:

Especially sensational is the find of 9 coins of the Carolingian Empire, that do not look as if they have been used as trading silver, but as coins. That could indicate whole new knowledge about the early use of coins in Denmark.
The arab Dirhem coins were used as trading silver, together with large amounts of cut silver rings and other silver items.
The find has been kept secret till now, because the place is situated on a very open place.
After the first finds I called in my detector collegue, and we have together found about 300 metal objects on the site.

Regards, The Dane

fundkollage.jpg
Great finds

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dane :hello:

The finds are just awesome and the site still producing outstanding relics :sunny:

Have a museum display been made available for public and if so where in Denmark?

:icon_king:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TheDane said:

Regards, The Dane

fundkollage.jpg
Nice bunch of finds, it pays to do your research & not tell very many people about your site. :coffee2:

hellhoot

Jan 25, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Would be hard to top an awesome historical find like those drooling :tongue1:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread