17th Century SPECTACLE BUCKLE found on the WRONG side of the pond!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week, I found my oldest piece. It is a 'double loop oval buckle' commonly known as a 'Spectacle Buckle'. It is most likely early-mid 17th Century, although those with the 3 transverse lines on each loop are circa 1350-1650. (Thanks to CRUSADER and others who helped identify.)The first visitors to North Carolina from 'across the big pond' were in the early 1500's.

Although the Spectacle Buckle is the oldest, my BEST find was a Civil War Flat Button & tiny plate found just a week before the Spectacle Buckle. I found them in one of 'the' Civil War camps where my Great Grandfather was stationed during the Civil War. It was an emotional experience to actually stand and walk where he did, and an even more, emotional experience to find something that could have belonged to him and/or the men in his Regiment. He was wounded during the Battle of New Bern and had to have his leg amputated.

I find it somewhat sad that strangers on this forum can get more excited for you about a special find than some friends, and even family members. Thank ya'll for understanding how a certain find can bring tears to your eyes, and to know it's 'not just a button.' Southern Smiles, Breezie

Attachments

• BestFinds1.jpg
    BestFinds1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 691
  • BestFinds2.jpg
    BestFinds2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 626
  • BestFind3.jpg
    BestFind3.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 632
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe the buckle is an outstanding find for the US. It would be like me getting a 2000 year old coin. Excellent :icon_thumright:

The flat button looks pre-CW.

The other item is a brass or copper-alloy late Georgian escutcheon plate from a furniture piece.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Stellar find and a Fantastic story! Thank you for posting these. I have not heard of many of those buckles being found over here except for the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

Regards,

Buckles

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice buckle.........NC does have some old stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions