Large Cents and a Daguerreotype (My Favorite Finds)

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I'm devoting more time than ever to hunting, but I've been doin' this off and on a long time. Here are a few pics of some of my favorite finds. The 1827 and 1852 LC's were dug in the same yard about 27yrs. ago when I was swinging my Coinmaster 2DB. The 1828 came into my life earlier this year while hunting with RodeoRecon. It felt good to end that dry spell. :hello2: But my coolest find ever is this Daguerreotype that I dug in my front yard with a White's 5000 GEB. (Well, I dug it with a knife, but you know what I mean. ::)) I got a good scan of it and the mat, and printed an 8x10 to hang on the wall. It's a good conversation piece. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 1827 Obv.JPG
    1827 Obv.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 497
  • 1827 Rev.JPG
    1827 Rev.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 1828 Obv.JPG
    1828 Obv.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 1828 Rev.JPG
    1828 Rev.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 1852 Obv.JPG
    1852 Obv.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 492
  • 1852 Rev.JPG
    1852 Rev.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 477
  • CIMG1453.JPG
    CIMG1453.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 490
  • CIMG1423.JPG
    CIMG1423.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
that is the way large cents should
come out of the ground looking !!

He cleaned them. I'm not quite sure of the method.

Great finds, Coinmaster. I think you should restore that Dag.

-Buck

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I get a little aggressive with the cleaning sometimes. :o I think I used toothpaste and a toothbrush on the 27 and the 52. Can't remember for sure :icon_scratch: (27years ago). Let me preface my cleaning method for the latter one with this: I would NEVER clean a coin that had any great value in this manner. None of these particular LC's are that valuable (maybe $20.00). I wouldn't take $100.00 for any of them, so if I'm going to show them off I want them to be pretty. I used a powdered cleanser called "Bar Keeper's Friend". Just shake out a little, add some water to make it pasty and scrub it in with a toothbrush. I even polished it a little with Nevr-dull. I don't want to clean them to the point that they look fake. Let me repeat....I would never clean a valuable coin in this manner. Check, and double check what you have before you try this. :read2: After having said that, which is worse on a copper? "Environmental damage", or "cleaned"? Usually, I'm showing them off to someone who's not into our hobby. I'd rather hear "cool" than "why is it green", or "what does it say?" On the other hand, if you show them to someone in the hobby (IE. BuckleBoy), you hear things like "those aren't dug". :laughing9:

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Don in SJ said:
Nice going on the Dag, you are aware of the restortation post I did on mine? Electrolysis did work, but a special way of doing it...

Thanks Don. It's been a while, but I have read about your restoration. I may try to clean mine up this winter. After reading about my cleaning method for that large cent, everyone will think I'll try to clean it with a wire brush. :laughing9: When I found her, I wasn't sure what I had at first. I thought it was a frame for a tin type, or some sort of a mirror. It wasn't until later that night when I was rinsing it off in the kitchen sink that I saw the image :o . I'd be lying if I said it didn't creep me out for a minute. I was afraid I'd have to go back out in the yard in the middle of the night and re-bury it. That's such a cool piece of history to dig up especially in your own front yard. Little did she know when she posed for that photo that 150 years later she'd be appearing on the internet for the whole world to see. (Good thing she had her earrings in.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread