Very Rare 3rd Dragoons Texas Star Identified.

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I found this 3D Star back in February of this year while searching a known Confederate Camp with my brother KirkTN and my buddies Donny & Arthur who were down from Canada. We all knew that it was a very special find when I found it. ( Video of Recovery Below ) I had posted the star when I found it and didn't get an ID so I recently re-posted it in the "What is it" section of this forum. I had also sent pictures of it to Charles Harris and Butch Holcombe of American Digger Magazine and he had sent a copy of my email to Howard Crouch author of books like Relic Hunter and Civil War Artifacts all three men authorities on Civil War relics. My friend Joe(TX) had told me all along this was related to the 3rd Dragoons Confederate Texas Rangers or possibly earlier 3rd Dragoons Republic of Texas Guards. Mr. Harris and Mr. Crouch agreed that this was in fact what I had found.
Joe(TX) tells me he had seen one recovered years ago by the late VanFossen of Houston Texas and that the find was Very Rare and VERY VALUABLE! Here is a copy of the email correspondence I had with Mr. Harris:

> Hi John & Butch,

No, this is not from a "3D" movie but from the 3rd Dragoons. The Dragoons were the predecessor of the Civil War era Cavalry. To my knowledge, the only items similar to this beautiful star have come from the True West of the era, mostly from Texas sites where the dragoons were highly active in the 1830-40's era. This is also where the Colt Patterson revolvers, the Colt Walker revolvers & of course, the famous Colt Dragoon revolvers really made their name in history. The Colt Dragoon revolvers were a scaled down version of the humongous Colt Walkers, but I guess that I'm getting off of the subject here.

This nice little star luckily has all the 3 attachment brackets on the back side, which appear to be small loops soldered to the back side. I'm not really sure if this item would have been attached to the hat or the coat, maybe one of our other readers can help out on this facet. I'm not finding it in Campbell & O'Donnells , American Military Headgear Insignia book, but I strongly suspect that it is used on one of the tall hats of the period & that it would have been mounted in the center of one of those large, but generic background plates. The "3D" probably stands for the 3rd Dragoons, Troop "D".

Oh, I just noticed that Butch forwarded a couple of Howard Crouch's comments about this plate to me. Here are Howard's comments: "Yes I have, very rare one, but with a different number and or letter. Third dragoons." & "The dragoons served almost entirely in the west. a lot of the rare stuff they had is scattered across thousands of miles of desert and woods."

A Great find.

Keep your powder dry,
Charlie Harris

Here's the youtube video made at the time of recovery:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true">

It has taken 9 months to identify this find. I'd like to thank my friend Joe(TX), Charles Harris, Butch Holcombe, and Howard Crouch for their combined efforts in helping me put this mystery to rest. It just goes to show that often when there is little valid information available about an item it is a reflection of that items rarity.

Attachments

• Star1.JPG
    Star1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Star2.JPG
    Star2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Star1.JPG
    Star1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Star2.JPG
    Star2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,191
Upvote 1

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find!!!!!! :headbang: I imagine you felt on top of the world when you finally got her identified!!!!! Way to go, Tim

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly a Banner find. :hello2:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner find! :hello2:

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

K

KirkTN

He is my Brother yes, but that aside I without a doubt do believe this Outstanding little Rare piece of Civil War history deserves the banner. Bravo Bro! Way to stick with it on the research, the results are Impressive to say the least. I'm Proud of You! :hello2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[size=14pt]

Banner Banner Banner
[/size]

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when you posted this , I too am voting Banner , I,m happy that you got the item identified at last .

Mac

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
Wasn't it Larry H. that located that camp bought 20 years ago. LOL

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......What everyone does not know is that this Texas Star was identified because I started a thread on the Compass Forum.......BEST FINDS......John waited awhile and stated that he was having problems on deciding what was his BEST FIND(s).......As soon as I saw it I knew what it was a rare Texas Star......I knew that it was either Texas Confederate or possible Republic of Texas.......Due to a friendship with Van Fossen of Houston for over 25 years plus a lot of attendance to local Gun/Relic shows .........I have seen a lot of buttons and related Relics that had Texas ties to the Confederacy and even the Republic of Texas..............NEXT TIME JOHN......SHOW IT TO ME FIRST.......LOL.....it may save you 9 months ....................LOL AGAIN.......Joe

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
John you are a shining star with that texas star and you have the right to be for I like what I see,great find ,vanzutphen

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve Hutch, this is 3rd request, stop posting you finds in other members threads..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread