Imagine finding this and then finding out......

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

Attachments

• 1849 California Republic Company Gold $5 OBV.jpg
    1849 California Republic Company Gold $5 OBV.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 1849 California Republic Company Gold $5 REV.jpg
    1849 California Republic Company Gold $5 REV.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,282
Upvote 0

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
As President Ronald Reagan would say "Trust but verify".

I agree that you should have that one checked again and by a different dealer.

You might want to check it again if you get the same response.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice, the reall thing or not, WTG!!!
I would definitely be sure before getting rid of it. I'm sure just about any dealer would love to get his fingers on it...
Can you tell if it's solid from the little ding in the lower left of the reverse?
Good luck & Happy hunting~

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that is a great find even though it probably is a fake. Even dealers get fooled sometimes.
I think that the "R" on the obverse stands for reproduction.
Oh well, still a cool find.
Thanks for posting.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
It probably is a reproduction, but just to be sure, I would examine the dings under strong magnification to determine plated vs. solid, and weigh the coin.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vatt, where did you find it and how deep was it, if you dug it? I would take into consideration how it was found, before I would believe that it was a counterfeit.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
:) :) doesn't matter if it's real or not :) :)

:o :o you'll always remember how you felt when you first saw it :o :o

Nice going!
HH

OP
OP
tgravatt

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
haupin said:
Vatt, where did you find it and how deep was it, if you dug it?? I would take into consideration how it was found, before I would believe that it was a counterfeit.
Hello!

It was found in an old mining camp north of Phoenix and to the west of Interstate 17, near the Bradshaw mountains. At first, I thought it was some trash, from campers and whatnot, but dug, and pulled it out of the ground. It was just about a foot deep or so. I thought my heart would never stop pounding. Ran back to my vehicle and looked it up in the Red Book, and sure enough it was in there. I like to drive off a cliff getting out of there and into Prescott, Az., found a dealer and showed it to him.

Needless to say, it is likely to be a reproduction, but that is all I have been able to find out about it. Seems like the whole Pacific Company California is shrouded in mystery and there is little documentation about details for this company. A lot of it is speculation. The experts do agree that it was a company out of Boston, that set up shop in california during the old gold rush days, but not much more about the company or the details of their minting these coins.

I'll be back there again in a couple of weeks to try again.

Good Luck!

HH

T.G.Creations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread