SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this month (Nov.) I had to go home to Pennsylvania for a funeral, my great Uncle had passed away. After the funeral I stopped in to see my other Uncle in a small Southwestern part of the state. While visiting with my great Uncle I asked him if he would mind if I did a little detecting around his property and he said sure. The property is a farm where he and his brothers were born and grew up. The farm dates back to the mid 1800’s and his family had owned it all of this time. The house where my great Uncle and his brothers were born was boarded up and overgrown but still partially standing.
My uncle told me that when he was a kid, one of his brothers had a coin collection and they were playing like pirates and buried it near the house or the barn. They forgot about it and just a few years ago he and his cousin were talking about coins and he remembered it. This got me very excited so I started out detecting the back of the house near an old barbed wire fence. I was using the Garrett Ace 150 I had bought for my wife. I found all sorts of junk including Mason jar lids, nails, a horse shoe, barbed wire, pop tabs, bolts etc. I worked my way from the fence towards the house. My Uncle was very interested once I started finding metal pieces and parts and kept a close eye on my finds. A few hours went by and I had almost filled 3 gallon plastic bucket with junk. I stopped for lunch and my Uncle told me stories of his childhood growing up on the farm.
After my short break I went back to work. I already searched from the back of the house up one side and now was starting at the front. I searched the whole front yard and found a few Wheat cents, a 1932 Canada cent, some .22 bullets, copper wire, nails, screw type bottle caps and an old bicycle sprocket. I was starting to get tired of finding junk but that story of the buried coin collection kept me going. I worked my way down the side of the house. There was a huge old dead tree that had fallen over next to the house. I remember hearing that people often hid money near the base of trees so I checked all around it. I found nothing. I got to the back corner of the house and got a good signal stating something at around 6 inches. I started digging and hit a big flat piece of roofing slate. It was about 10 inches by 12 inches and lying flat at approximately 4 inches down. I dug it out and still got a signal where it was. I had to cut out some roots and dug down about another 4 inches and then I hit something! It sounded like tin. I dug the hole wider and then pried out the metal object. My Uncle was standing right on my heels looking over my shoulder and yelled “you found it!” I just about had a heart attack. It looked to me like a rusted junk tin can. I didn’t think I found anything but trash. What I had found was an old Half & Half tobacco tin. It obviously had something inside of it because it had some weight to it. I took it over to my car and carefully opened the hinged lid. Inside was a bunch of dirt and cotton and the missing coin collection.
Yahoo! it was my first cache! We carefully emptied the contents of the tin. It contained 16 coins: a 1900,1912 large copper penny (one has a man’s head on front the other a woman’s head and foreign writing) 1887 large copper penny with Victoria D:G: Britt: Reg: F.D and a woman’s head on the front, 1864 Napoleon III Empereur written on front with a man’s head and an Eagle on the back(back says DIX Centimes), 1870 Cinco centimes and Lion with Shield on front and Cinco gramos on back . I have no idea where these were from but they are pretty old. I do not know much about coins but I have seen these before U.S.: 1922, 1923 silver dollars, 1900, 1907, and two 1912 V nickels, 1901, 1905 silver dimes and 1892, 1902, 1907 Indian head pennies. The tobacco tin is in pretty bad condition but was found in a relatively dry area close to the foundation of the house.
Looking at those coins and remembering burying them with his brother brought some tears to my Uncle’s eyes. I told him I was happy to find them for him and he told me that they were now mine. He said with a big smile on his face “Finders, keepers!”

footnote: ( I added the 1932 Canada cent to the picture)

Attachments

• DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,216
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    DSCN2430.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9,325
  • DSCN2447.jpg
    DSCN2447.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 9,337
  • DSCN2443.jpg
    DSCN2443.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9,288
  • DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,205
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    DSCN2430.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9,258
  • DSCN2450.jpg
    DSCN2450.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 9,213
  • DSCN2449.jpg
    DSCN2449.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 9,178
  • DSCN2448.jpg
    DSCN2448.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 9,174
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this one. :icon_scratch:
Great story Joe, and fantastic find. That is so cool you were able to find that cache with your uncle there with you.
Good memories for both of you. :thumbsup:
I sure pays to bring that detector everywhere you go. You just never know, as you proved on this one.
Congrats on a well deserved BANNER!!!
-MM-

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joe

I Just saw you made the Spring 2010 Issue
of the GARRETT SEARCHER with this Story !

Congrats also on winning a Pro Pointer ! !

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See Joe, I told you you didn't need any help. :-)
Congrats,
Doug

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Hey Joe

I Just saw you made the Spring 2010 Issue
of the GARRETT SEARCHER with this Story !

Congrats also on winning a Pro Pointer ! !

Thanks! Love the pointer!

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ziggy-Grimm said:
Cool story and congrats on the banner!

I'm from Southwestern, PA...maybe this happened not far from me :icon_scratch:

What general area of SW PA if you don't mind me asking?

Green county

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This story is beautiful, interesting and well written .....
Thank you very much for sharing with us this story so intimate and beautiful and give my condolences for his late uncle, who was one of the first numismatic of the USA. also the very different currencies and countries of origin is amazing .
The coin unknown center (lion on shield in his paws and woman ) are Spanish, and found hundreds of these coins, all of which were manufactured in my city in 1870, for me are the most beautiful coins that were built in the 19th century in Spain.
The history of this coin is very long and complicated why I show a link to another page where it explains in detail and more links where these coins are found by my.
Greetings! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perra_gorda

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,303030.0.html

Attachments

• 24-02-2010_040.JPG
    24-02-2010_040.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,725
  • 24-02-2010_040.JPG
    24-02-2010_040.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,720
OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
This story is beautiful, interesting and well written .....
Thank you very much for sharing with us this story so intimate and beautiful and give my condolences for his late uncle, who was one of the first numismatic of the USA. also the very different currencies and countries of origin is amazing .
The coin unknown center (lion on shield in his paws and woman ) are Spanish, and found hundreds of these coins, all of which were manufactured in my city in 1870, for me are the most beautiful coins that were built in the 19th century in Spain.
The history of this coin is very long and complicated why I show a link to another page where it explains in detail and more links where these coins are found by my.
Greetings! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perra_gorda

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,303030.0.html

Thanks but the Wikipedia link is in Spanish.

mascallw119

Apr 23, 2010
Reading this reminded of the story I heard about a gold miner many, many years ago who was digging in California and became tired and weary of not finding anything for months on months (I do not remember how long he had been digging). Anyway, he gave up and went back home and someone else started working the site and digging in the exact same area the first miner gave up on. From what I remember of the story, the new miner struck a vein of gold the same day he took over the dig and from what I remember it was only just a few more feet down. The earlier miner just needed to hang on a little longer. Reading your story reminded me of this one that I had heard. CONGRATULATIONS.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
So ... after listening to a relative, you found a cache. :laughing9: :laughing9: Another reason for going to my next family reunion, huh? Thanks for the story, the phtos, and the good time. :hello2: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH MY!
Words cant correctly describe that find. GO ACE 150 and great patience SkyPirate :thumbsup:

B|lker

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildwood said:
Great story and find! You should write something up to go with the coins and tin, so in the future people will know the story behind it all. :)

My story was featured in the book "Relic Quest" by Stephen L. Moore. He writes books for Garret.

Attachments

• Relic%20Quest.jpg
    Relic%20Quest.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 918

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions