Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    us
    Mar 2009
    North Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
    35 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Old coin collection dug up in SW PA.

Earlier this month (Nov.) I had to go home to Pennsylvania for a funeral, my great Uncle had passed away. After the funeral I stopped in to see my other Uncle in a small Southwestern part of the state. While visiting with my great Uncle I asked him if he would mind if I did a little detecting around his property and he said sure. The property is a farm where he and his brothers were born and grew up. The farm dates back to the mid 1800’s and his family had owned it all of this time. The house where my great Uncle and his brothers were born was boarded up and overgrown but still partially standing.
    My uncle told me that when he was a kid, one of his brothers had a coin collection and they were playing like pirates and buried it near the house or the barn. They forgot about it and just a few years ago he and his cousin were talking about coins and he remembered it. This got me very excited so I started out detecting the back of the house near an old barbed wire fence. I was using the Garrett Ace 150 I had bought for my wife. I found all sorts of junk including Mason jar lids, nails, a horse shoe, barbed wire, pop tabs, bolts etc. I worked my way from the fence towards the house. My Uncle was very interested once I started finding metal pieces and parts and kept a close eye on my finds. A few hours went by and I had almost filled 3 gallon plastic bucket with junk. I stopped for lunch and my Uncle told me stories of his childhood growing up on the farm.
    After my short break I went back to work. I already searched from the back of the house up one side and now was starting at the front. I searched the whole front yard and found a few Wheat cents, a 1932 Canada cent, some .22 bullets, copper wire, nails, screw type bottle caps and an old bicycle sprocket. I was starting to get tired of finding junk but that story of the buried coin collection kept me going. I worked my way down the side of the house. There was a huge old dead tree that had fallen over next to the house. I remember hearing that people often hid money near the base of trees so I checked all around it. I found nothing. I got to the back corner of the house and got a good signal stating something at around 6 inches. I started digging and hit a big flat piece of roofing slate. It was about 10 inches by 12 inches and lying flat at approximately 4 inches down. I dug it out and still got a signal where it was. I had to cut out some roots and dug down about another 4 inches and then I hit something! It sounded like tin. I dug the hole wider and then pried out the metal object. My Uncle was standing right on my heels looking over my shoulder and yelled “you found it!” I just about had a heart attack. It looked to me like a rusted junk tin can. I didn’t think I found anything but trash. What I had found was an old Half & Half tobacco tin. It obviously had something inside of it because it had some weight to it. I took it over to my car and carefully opened the hinged lid. Inside was a bunch of dirt and cotton and the missing coin collection.
    Yahoo! it was my first cache! We carefully emptied the contents of the tin. It contained 16 coins: a 1900,1912 large copper penny (one has a man’s head on front the other a woman’s head and foreign writing) 1887 large copper penny with Victoria D:G: Britt: Reg: F.D and a woman’s head on the front, 1864 Napoleon III Empereur written on front with a man’s head and an Eagle on the back(back says DIX Centimes), 1870 Cinco centimes and Lion with Shield on front and Cinco gramos on back . I have no idea where these were from but they are pretty old. I do not know much about coins but I have seen these before U.S.: 1922, 1923 silver dollars, 1900, 1907, and two 1912 V nickels, 1901, 1905 silver dimes and 1892, 1902, 1907 Indian head pennies. The tobacco tin is in pretty bad condition but was found in a relatively dry area close to the foundation of the house.
    Looking at those coins and remembering burying them with his brother brought some tears to my Uncle’s eyes. I told him I was happy to find them for him and he told me that they were now mine. He said with a big smile on his face “Finders, keepers!”

footnote: ( I added the 1932 Canada cent to the picture)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2429.jpg 
Views:	9046 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	26816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2430.jpg 
Views:	9080 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	26817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2447.jpg 
Views:	9153 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	348310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2443.jpg 
Views:	9122 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	348311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2429.jpg 
Views:	9033 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	348312  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2430.jpg 
Views:	9030 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	348313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2448.jpg 
Views:	9018 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	348314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2449.jpg 
Views:	9008 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	348315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2450.jpg 
Views:	9043 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	348316  
    SkyPirate

us
    Oct 2009
    mountain home Idaho
    ace 250 dfx
    31 times

Re: Old coin collection dug up in SW PA.

cool story found neat stuff and helped a gentleman enjoy his childhood good job. and an ace 150 to boot. proves it is the man not the machine
    Semper Fi

us
    Jan 2009
    New Mexico

Super cool find for you and your uncle. had just a little bit of everything. Good times for the both of you.

us
    Oct 2009
    Northern VA
    Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
    2 times

That is really cool. Back in the '70's I was detecting around an old house and dug tin can full of Lincoln pennies dating from 1912 to 1940 I asked the lady who owned the property if she knew anything about them. She said that she and her sister had buried them while they were playing and had forgotten about them. I asked her if she wanted them and she said no. I still have them Not worth much but a cool find.

Oct 2007
    Hampton Roads, VA.
    bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
    18 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome story. How old is your Uncle? When did he and his brother bury them? Love to know more.

Golden Silver

us
    Jun 2009
    Biloxi, MS
    Ace 250
    1 times

Great Story, Thanx for sharing!!!

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    31 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Just about the coolest story ive heard in along time. makes me thatnk you, your kin, garrett and Marc for starting Tnet long ago.
    hell im crying.
    Leave no stone unturned.

us
    Dec 2008
    Fern Creek Ky
    XLT
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

That is a fantastic story with a unreal ending. That is just to cool that you found
    the coins. Congratulations on the find and the banner.

Charter Member
    nz
    Oct 2006
    New Zealand
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    72 times

Thanks SkyPirate for the very interesting story and pics. The Treasure AND The Banner have obviously gone to a worthy person.

Cheers, Mike

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3189 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Great Post. Good story and wonderful recovery. A very nice Banner !!
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    689 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

oh for the record your 4 foreign coins are queen victoria (1900) & george V ( the fifth) (1912) their british* --- napolean III ( is french )--and the last one is spanish ---cool story & great finds

us
    Dec 2005
    Bay Area Ca.
    White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
    14 times
    Metal Detecting

awesome find and an amazing story, congrats on finding them and glad you made banner.. thanks for sharing and hh
    Happy Hunting Everyone, may your swings be filled with beeps, and your scoops full of the treasures you seek!

us
    May 2008
    Somewhere in CT
    Minelab E-Trac
    7 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great story and picture... than you for taking us along!

Paul
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

us
    Apr 2006
    Michigan
    2 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Awesome find and great story too, congrats!!

Smiles!
    BDoo
    "I'm a finder, not a loser!"

seger98

Congratulations on the find & the banner, real neat story!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors