SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this month (Nov.) I had to go home to Pennsylvania for a funeral, my great Uncle had passed away. After the funeral I stopped in to see my other Uncle in a small Southwestern part of the state. While visiting with my great Uncle I asked him if he would mind if I did a little detecting around his property and he said sure. The property is a farm where he and his brothers were born and grew up. The farm dates back to the mid 1800’s and his family had owned it all of this time. The house where my great Uncle and his brothers were born was boarded up and overgrown but still partially standing.
My uncle told me that when he was a kid, one of his brothers had a coin collection and they were playing like pirates and buried it near the house or the barn. They forgot about it and just a few years ago he and his cousin were talking about coins and he remembered it. This got me very excited so I started out detecting the back of the house near an old barbed wire fence. I was using the Garrett Ace 150 I had bought for my wife. I found all sorts of junk including Mason jar lids, nails, a horse shoe, barbed wire, pop tabs, bolts etc. I worked my way from the fence towards the house. My Uncle was very interested once I started finding metal pieces and parts and kept a close eye on my finds. A few hours went by and I had almost filled 3 gallon plastic bucket with junk. I stopped for lunch and my Uncle told me stories of his childhood growing up on the farm.
After my short break I went back to work. I already searched from the back of the house up one side and now was starting at the front. I searched the whole front yard and found a few Wheat cents, a 1932 Canada cent, some .22 bullets, copper wire, nails, screw type bottle caps and an old bicycle sprocket. I was starting to get tired of finding junk but that story of the buried coin collection kept me going. I worked my way down the side of the house. There was a huge old dead tree that had fallen over next to the house. I remember hearing that people often hid money near the base of trees so I checked all around it. I found nothing. I got to the back corner of the house and got a good signal stating something at around 6 inches. I started digging and hit a big flat piece of roofing slate. It was about 10 inches by 12 inches and lying flat at approximately 4 inches down. I dug it out and still got a signal where it was. I had to cut out some roots and dug down about another 4 inches and then I hit something! It sounded like tin. I dug the hole wider and then pried out the metal object. My Uncle was standing right on my heels looking over my shoulder and yelled “you found it!” I just about had a heart attack. It looked to me like a rusted junk tin can. I didn’t think I found anything but trash. What I had found was an old Half & Half tobacco tin. It obviously had something inside of it because it had some weight to it. I took it over to my car and carefully opened the hinged lid. Inside was a bunch of dirt and cotton and the missing coin collection.
Yahoo! it was my first cache! We carefully emptied the contents of the tin. It contained 16 coins: a 1900,1912 large copper penny (one has a man’s head on front the other a woman’s head and foreign writing) 1887 large copper penny with Victoria D:G: Britt: Reg: F.D and a woman’s head on the front, 1864 Napoleon III Empereur written on front with a man’s head and an Eagle on the back(back says DIX Centimes), 1870 Cinco centimes and Lion with Shield on front and Cinco gramos on back . I have no idea where these were from but they are pretty old. I do not know much about coins but I have seen these before U.S.: 1922, 1923 silver dollars, 1900, 1907, and two 1912 V nickels, 1901, 1905 silver dimes and 1892, 1902, 1907 Indian head pennies. The tobacco tin is in pretty bad condition but was found in a relatively dry area close to the foundation of the house.
Looking at those coins and remembering burying them with his brother brought some tears to my Uncle’s eyes. I told him I was happy to find them for him and he told me that they were now mine. He said with a big smile on his face “Finders, keepers!”

footnote: ( I added the 1932 Canada cent to the picture)

Attachments

• DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,216
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    DSCN2430.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9,325
  • DSCN2447.jpg
    DSCN2447.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 9,337
  • DSCN2443.jpg
    DSCN2443.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9,288
  • DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,205
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    DSCN2430.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9,258
  • DSCN2448.jpg
    DSCN2448.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 9,174
  • DSCN2449.jpg
    DSCN2449.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 9,178
  • DSCN2450.jpg
    DSCN2450.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 9,213
Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
That is really cool. Back in the '70's I was detecting around an old house and dug tin can full of Lincoln pennies dating from 1912 to 1940 I asked the lady who owned the property if she knew anything about them. She said that she and her sister had buried them while they were playing and had forgotten about them. I asked her if she wanted them and she said no. I still have them Not worth much but a cool find.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Awesome story. How old is your Uncle? When did he and his brother bury them? Love to know more.

Golden Silver

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Just about the coolest story ive heard in along time. makes me thatnk you, your kin, garrett and Marc for starting Tnet long ago.
hell im crying.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic story with a unreal ending. That is just to cool that you found
the coins. Congratulations on the find and the banner.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SkyPirate :icon_thumleft: for the very interesting story and pics. The Treasure AND The Banner have obviously gone to a worthy person.

Cheers, Mike

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post. Good story and wonderful recovery. A very nice Banner !! :wav:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh for the record your 4 foreign coins are queen victoria (1900) & george V ( the fifth) (1912) their british* --- napolean III ( is french )--and the last one is spanish ---cool story & great finds

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden silver said:
Awesome story. How old is your Uncle? When did he and his brother bury them? Love to know more.

Golden Silver

The Uncle that had passed away was born in 1922 and the one who helped me search was born in 1923. The two silver dollars were saved to commemorate their birthdays. My Great Uncle told me he thinks they burried the coins when they were around 10 years old. He said that their father had the coins hidden in a box in his closet and they took them to burry as pirate treasure. He said that they drew up a very detailed treasure map that had been lost long ago.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Really neat story, and so cool that you found it with your Uncle looking over your shoulder. What a thrill for the both of you.

Jim

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thats one treasure story that came true. Very Nice and congrats on the Banner, well deserved. :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions