Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rev officer coat button probably in the running for the best known example of the early pattern. I have never heard of a non dug one and it's better than any shown in current publications. I'll also add my 17mm find which I believe also might be a contender for best known that size . Both buttons have perfect shanks and the first came out of the ground much the same way a gold coin would. I also found a CT copper that day in 2001. The green and gold one came several years later on a day that I received a call to hunt basically on the spur of the moment. Sure glad I went!

Attachments

• zz4thb.jpg
    zz4thb.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5,465
  • zz4thb.jpg
    zz4thb.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5,446
  • zzpic12.jpg
    zzpic12.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5,468
  • zzpic12.jpg
    zzpic12.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5,469
  • zz4thb.jpg
    zz4thb.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5,455

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful finds :icon_thumleft: For me, although I'm partial to my more "photogenic" early military buttons and buckles, if I had to choose just one military find based on both age, condition and rarity it would be this U.S. belt plate from around 1810. It came out of the ground with very light corrosion due to it being under the porch overhang of the old Logan Inn for almost 200 years.

Attachments

• buckleback1.jpg
    buckleback1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5,376
  • bucklefront 1.jpg
    bucklefront 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5,408
  • buckleback1.jpg
    buckleback1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5,379
  • bucklefront 1.jpg
    bucklefront 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5,391

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
Rev officer coat button probably in the running for the best known example of the early pattern. I have never heard of a non dug one and it's better than any shown in current publications. I'll also add my 17mm find which I believe also might be a contender for best known that size . Both buttons have perfect shanks and the first came out of the ground much the same way a gold coin would. I also found a CT copper that day in 2001. The green and gold one came several years later on a day that I received a call to hunt basically on the spur of the moment. Sure glad I went!

These are beautiful buttons, if you don't mind me asking, are you speaking of the same Rev war that we had? I'm not familiar with your guys' history at all.. I only ask out of curiousity, no disrespect.. Do you still have the buttons? and, are those British or American?

They are Loyalist and date 1776-1781 which probably answers your first question.

After the Revolution many Loyalists and British went North to settle, and I guess lose a few buttons. :thumbsup: The first I received a very good offer shortly after I found it and decided to sell thinking (and hoping) I would find another nice Coat size. Turns out it was the right call because that Fall I did just that. I also got it's twin 2 years ago. The green patina one I still have which makes three total. I have no plans to part with these and am very content how it all worked out.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Inspired by IronPatch...no brainer for me. This should be a good thread if everyone who has ever dug military participates...post em up!

1790-1815 Royal Artillery Sword Cross Belt Plate

You'll have a hard time topping that one! But I plan to stay 3 steps ahead of you to try and prevent it. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Wonderful finds :icon_thumleft: For me, although I'm partial to my more "photogenic" early military buttons and buckles, if I had to choose just one military find based on both age, condition and rarity it would be this U.S. belt plate from around 1810. It came out of the ground with very light corrosion due to it being under the porch overhang of the old Logan Inn for almost 200 years.

Good one. :thumbsup: I waited quite a while to find my British one and had I decided to try and avoid the 1,000 or so mosquito bites that day it still might be in the dirt.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:

That would be a favorite of mine too...somewhat partial to plates. And to find it unbent with all attachments is very nice!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:

Good one. :thumbsup: I waited quite a while to find my British one and had I decided to try and avoid the 1,000 or so mosquito bites that day it still might be in the dirt.

id like to see this one

British looks the same, except mine has a bend. I'll post a pic if i still have one.

....found one.

They look plain ??? I've never seen plates like these

That's because they are... unfortunately!

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was dug up in a Maryland bottle dump. The watch is in the picture for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_8702.JPG
    IMG_8702.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 5,161
  • IMG_8703.JPG
    IMG_8703.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,138
  • IMG_8702.JPG
    IMG_8702.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 5,161
  • IMG_8703.JPG
    IMG_8703.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,153

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! I have many 1812 buttons but am no where close to any 1812 action. If you hunt old sites military finds can and will happen no matter where you are! :thumbsup:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DROOP WINGED EALGLE
CONFEDERATE OFFICERS BUTTON

Attachments

• P1050576.jpg
    P1050576.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 5,054
  • P1050576.jpg
    P1050576.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 5,039

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It was hard to choose but I picked 3. hope that's ok
Texas Buckle, less than 20 known
Georgia Military Institute button, less than 12 known
MVC officers button, less than 20 known

Attachments

• 1 tex.jpg
    1 tex.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 5,350
  • GMI A.jpg
    GMI A.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 5,241
  • 1 dug MVC3.jpg
    1 dug MVC3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 5,241

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool items here..I could use a little info please - I would like to know the age of these - A few things found throughout the chicago area and I'm not sure what they are...The small button I think is a reverse navy button? the other button has 1868 - 1818 under the eagle next to the shield and on the back it has C F or G F FOSTER SON & CO CHICAGO ILL.
Thanks, Bill T.

Attachments

• 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 4,982
  • 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 4,964
  • 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4,862

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button, it's just a backmark. I have one too.

Maybe the sword pin is associated with the Shriners?

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Thanks Iron Patch,
I never thought of Shriners..Thought the button was a good one, Is it a navy button?
Thanks again for the info,Bill T.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bilt46 said:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks Iron Patch,
I never thought of Shriners..Thought the button was a good one, Is it a navy button?
Thanks again for the info,Bill T.

No, not Navy but I still like mine so would consider it a good find.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Some really cool stuff. The button with the eagle and anchor on the back dates about 1810. It was intended to be a navy button but one of several things happened. The company that originally stamped the face was taken over by another company, the company that made the button had navy buttons left over after the design was changed and used just reversed the button, or the shank was simply put on the wrong side. That button is in Albert's book the number is NA75B. It's worth $10 to $20 or so. The other button is an Illinois state seal. 1818 is the date the state was admitted to the union and the 1868 is the date that the state seal was changed. The button dates about 1900.The piece with the A looks like a rosette for a horse harness. the cross swords is an Indian war cavalry hatpiece. The other sword I have no idea. I hope this helps

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Some really cool stuff. The button with the eagle and anchor on the back dates about 1810. It was intended to be a navy button but one of several things happened. The company that originally stamped the face was taken over by another company, the company that made the button had navy buttons left over after the design was changed and used just reversed the button, or the shank was simply put on the wrong side. That button is in Albert's book the number is NA75B. It's worth $10 to $20 or so. The other button is an Illinois state seal. 1818 is the date the state was admitted to the union and the 1868 is the date that the state seal was changed. The button dates about 1900.The piece with the A looks like a rosette for a horse harness. the cross swords is an Indian war cavalry hatpiece. The other sword I have no idea. I hope this helps

Thanks a bunch vayank54.........

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:

First, Merry Christmas! Iron patch, I got a neat book for Christmass today by Neuman and Kravic that pictures some mighty cool Rev. war finds. It lists this buckle as far back as 1775. That makes sense regarding my buckle, because it was the Rev war troops who spent a lot of time at the Logan Inn (while the British were camped across the river in lambertville). Hey, buy the way, I've been looking at those brass bottoms caps to the old rev war holsters and I'll bet we've probably foud a few but failed to identify them 9probably thought they were flask tops) :D

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:

First, Merry Christmas! Iron patch, I got a neat book for Christmass today by Neuman and Kravic that pictures some mighty cool Rev. war finds. It lists this buckle as far back as 1775. That makes sense regarding my buckle, because it was the Rev war troops who spent a lot of time at the Logan Inn (while the British were camped across the river in lambertville). Hey, buy the way, I've been looking at those brass bottoms caps to the old rev war holsters and I'll bet we've probably foud a few but failed to identify them 9probably thought they were flask tops) :D

Brass caps? What page are they on?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread