P1280004.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 5,823
Upvote 0

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Hi Laurent, I love the buckle. I only found fragments (the frame only). Great Stuff.
Folkert

OP
OP
vercingetorix

vercingetorix

Sep 30, 2005
Toulouse
Celtic silver coin called " Drachme" around 200 AD .. RARE in such a good condition

Attachments

• P1280017.JPG
    P1280017.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 3,010

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great coins, but must admit the buckle is awesome.... Show us some more of your past finds.

God bless,
Peter

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
;D was that for a chastity belt? you seem to be in an area blessed with history. I am also a history freek, but in South Africa we do not have that much to work with.

God bless,
Peter

OP
OP
vercingetorix

vercingetorix

Sep 30, 2005
Toulouse
Celtic coin ( around 150 BC )

Hi pgill !
let's say i love history and i have a great intuition to locate the good spots ( well that's what i've been told so i dunno ...) but i never hunt near any protected aera though

i think the whole country is really rich in history and moreover i think i'm probably the only one that detects round here . maybe that explains why i find so many old coins and artifacts .

good hunt in south Africa ...at least you're not bothered by the weather here it's been snowing all day . i tried to go detecting for a few hours but with over 10 inches deep in snow i gave up after 10 minutes . it stinks

Laurent

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are Excellent finds ,those bronze items last a long ,long time.....We want more!!!!!!!! Seeker

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
pgill said:
;D you seem to be in an area blessed with history. I am also a history freek, but in South Africa we do not have that much to work with.

God bless,
Peter

Peter, I notice that you often say you dont have much to work with in South Africa.....why is that? From what I have read, there seems to be so much history waiting to be explored. What part are you from?
Isnt there alot of interesting stuff around Cape Town?? Wasnt that a big port for spices and I think it also has alot of interesting Dutch architecture and places that date to the 1600's. What about the Durban area,where in December 1838, the Zulus were badly defeated at the terrible ?Battle of Blood River? where thousands of Zulus died due to overwhelming firepower. Or how about the city of Pietermaritzburg founded in 1838, or Port Edward The village that was laid out on Banner?s Rest bought by Mr. Pringle for his retirement. It was renamed Port Edward in honour of the Prince of Wales, who later became King Edward VIII. Port Edward has a delightful beach that overlooks a hill known by Europeans as ?Tragedy Hill?. The tragedy in 1831 was the bloodthirsty killing of opposing tribespeople by a rampaging band of Zulu warriors. Human bones still scattered the hillside up until recently. The coast here is known for its shipwrecks and in 1878, ?The Ivy? ran aground on the beach. When the locals realised its cargo included hundreds of cases of wine, beer and spirits, they went on the biggest binge of their lives!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Gypseyheart,

You are very right in what you say - I am living 50km outside of Johannesburg, which for the better part is away from most of the history you are talking about. What we do have here are some forts from the boer war, which by the way will be my first sites when I get a detector. Also when I go to pilgrims rest later this year, there are a couple of places where the zulu's went to battle which I want to check out. But a lot of the historical areas are national heritage grounds where they will not let us detect. Also the other reason I said that is because, if I look at the age of coins that you are all finding, our history does not go back that far. Our oldest coin is 1825, which is old, but compared to what some of you are finding ::) My area (Westonaria) is the mining area for gold. Unfortunately 90% of the ground in and around my town is owned by the mine, who will hang me on a cross if they catch me with a detector, or digging on their property 8)

What I am hoping to find though is some relics from the boer war, and if I can get an exact place where the zulu's fought, maybe a couple of spear heads. Other than that, I am looking at coins and jewlery in and around the parks etc.

So yes we do have history, but most of the areas are protected lands which is difficult to get access to, and even at the coastal places you have talked about, most is very built up now. I still think that the USA is blessed with their history, as with Britain.

God bless,
Peter

The Hammer

Greenie
Feb 4, 2006
Hobbs NM.
You are so fortunate to be able to hunt in an area that goes so far back in history. The best we can do where I'm from ( Southeast New Mexico U.S.A.) is the mid to late 1800's and that is if you are very very lucky.
Great finds my friend, great finds.

The Hammer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread