Celtic Gold Coins

UK_Treasure_Hunter

Feb 22, 2006
England
Detector(s) used
Coin Pro II, e-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have only managed to find two celtic gold coins, but I'm hoping for lots more ;)

Celtic Stater of Tasciovanus next to a 5p coin to give scale.

55731676_9c3ead42f2.jpg

55731675_69713e328a.jpg

55731677_7274976438.jpg

A beautiful red gold Celtic Stater also of Tasciovanus:

55731678_6e71c00a61.jpg

55731680_0619c34964.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

UK_Treasure_Hunter

Feb 22, 2006
England
Detector(s) used
Coin Pro II, e-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DJ - Put the time in and you'll get there!!!!!! ;D

Haven't managed to get any silver celtic yet, maybe this year will be the year!!!! ;D

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Up to now , i only found one celtic gold. A State of the Treveri, not a rare one, but in excellent condition

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the value of such coins? Can you tell us the history of the area you searched?
What is the story behind these finds? You are lucky to have a rich history over there.
Burdie

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always nice to find Gold......Welcome to the gold coin club....!Keep on posting.....Seeker :o

OP
OP
U

UK_Treasure_Hunter

Feb 22, 2006
England
Detector(s) used
Coin Pro II, e-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins are worth about ?1500, (the full stater about ?1000, the smaller one about ?500). There was no known occupation or history to the site - just an empty field, no pottery sherds to be seen anywhere. How they ended up there is anyones guess.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
UK, I am addicted to watching "Time Team", and your lucky the laws are different in the UK than in Ireland. Anything historical I find, I have to turn in. Did you see the 57 Bronze Age gold pieces that metal detectorist found in a farm field in Cirencester? Pretty nice haul there. I would go back to the area you found those and do a grid and hunt every square meter. Good luck!

DJ

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi UK, Nice Staters! Have been across the pond twice now and was lucky enough to walk over 4 full staters. 2 Addidomarus, 1 Snettisham, 1 Wadden Chase.
Hope you find more. I am going back on Friday and hope my luck continues.
HH Chicago Ron

Attachments

• celticgold4.jpg
    celticgold4.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 906
  • waddenchase.jpg
    waddenchase.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 909
  • ronceltic.jpg
    ronceltic.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 910
  • celticgold4.jpg
    celticgold4.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 910
  • waddenchase.jpg
    waddenchase.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 916
  • Ron celtic.JPG
    Ron celtic.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 894
OP
OP
U

UK_Treasure_Hunter

Feb 22, 2006
England
Detector(s) used
Coin Pro II, e-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DJ, I wonder how long it will be before our laws are like Ireland's, so many people here want detecting banned - including the people on time team which is why I stopped watching it.

Ron - fantastic collection of staters there, hopefully I will get a few more this year!

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
UK_Treasure_Hunter said:
Hi DJ, I wonder how long it will be before our laws are like Ireland's, so many people here want detecting banned - including the people on time team which is why I stopped watching it.

Ron - fantastic collection of staters there, hopefully I will get a few more this year!

I still watch Time Team, I'm just a history junkie and can't help it. I have never been questioned or stopped once MDing here in Ireland, but I am very carefull about where I go. The laws are quite ambiguous, and have yet to be really tested in the courts. The best interpretation I can get is that owning and using a metal detector is not illegal, but once you start digging it is. But this law is rarely if ever enforced, and then there is the antiquities laws that say if you have something of historical value or a treasure trove and turn it in you are entitled to compensation from the State. One of my friends who I go MDing with sometimes found a gold religious object from the 14th century, which he turned in just like I would have to try and do the right thing, and instead of getting a finders rewrd he got nothing but hassled about metal detecting. He found it on private property on which he had permission to hunt. I hunt for the history and because I'm curious, not to loot historical sites. Having said that, I am in technical violation of the law here when, even with the landowner's permission, I dig a coin up in his field.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...Like you guys, it is easy to hunt hear, just have to be carefull where you are and how you look,,, Most people just smile and go and don't give any hassle. Bining in jungle areas help, most people don't even waant to go in there! Have worked with the archaeologist here 20 years ago, but not sure how they feel now about everything!
Anyway, Take care!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
UK_Treasure_Hunter said:
So far I have only managed to find two celtic gold coins

oh wow...sucks to be you, huh ???
:) :) lol :) :)
Great coins! I'd be thrilled to find 'em :o
Congrats + HH

Top Member Reactions