Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin in my first few years of detecting and probably tried to ID it, but at the time would have been an overwhelming task given the condition and number of varieties. But now I have a much easier time sorting coins out, I figured why not give it a try. I believe it's Miller 33.5-T.2 rarity 5+ (about 50 known)

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_c..._coppers/1787_ct_copper_miller_33.05_T.02.htm

Kirk PA only wishes he could find one like this. :wink:

Attachments

• ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 912
  • ct2.jpg
    ct2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 912
  • 1787_ct_copper_miller_33.05_T.02_obv.jpg
    1787_ct_copper_miller_33.05_T.02_obv.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 891
  • 1787_ct_copper_miller_33.05_T.02_rev.JPG
    1787_ct_copper_miller_33.05_T.02_rev.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 890
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that the best you can do for detecting 10 years in CT? :dontknow: :laughing7: :laughing9: :-X Poor thing is all red. :laughing9: You must be focusing on those Loyalists sites in CT over the CT copper sites in CT. :dontknow: :laughing9: :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing7: :hello2:

Kirk

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice re find and the date is visible :thumbsup: if anyone can find one of those its me iam 15 miles across the Sound from Conn. one day maybe ,where was it in your iron bucket ? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Is that the best you can do for detecting 10 years in CT? :dontknow: :laughing7: :laughing9: :-X Poor thing is all red. :laughing9: You must be focusing on those Loyalists sites in CT over the CT copper sites in CT. :dontknow: :laughing9: :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing7: :hello2:

Kirk

I only hunted tot lots in CT. (and still beat you) ;D

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ProPointer said:
Whoa!!! Congratulations man! Bet that was nice :thumbsup:

Well I was hoping for super rare and even in that condition worth a few grand... but I'll still take it! :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I know you'll never forget this one:

Attachments

• Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 791
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 788
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 792
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 791

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The up side to Conn coppers are you can find Rare and Very Rare ones, the down side to it , not quite the same as finding a Rare or Very Rare NJ state copper. Conn coppers have so many varieties and many many of them are rare or very rare, so getting on does happen quite often, but NJ coppers have quite a few varieites too, but nowhere near the Conn coppers numbers but yet, to find a Rare one or Very Rare is RARE! In my survey of over 300 ground found NJ coppers only one is a Rare variety and no Very Rare ones reported at all!

Now speaking of rare Conn coppers, the very first one my son found when he was just beginning to detect back in the 80s, was his rarest Conn copper to date and his first one of quite a few that he has since found.

Miller 36-k.3 R-7+ 3-4 known (Coin Facts, but the Bowers book has it 5-8 known URS4)

Attachments

• 1787 Conn M36-k.3.jpg
    1787 Conn M36-k.3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 758
  • 1787 Conn M36-k.3.jpg
    1787 Conn M36-k.3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 753
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah even 5-8 is pretty dang rare, and I would bet that coin isn't too bad in person.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post brings up something that we have talked about before, proper cleaning of the coins after finding them, in order to see the details needed to ID a variety. I remember years ago getting the opportunity to visit and see the collection of a man who I think has/had one of the biggest collections of anyone of ground found relics and coppers in NJ. He was rather inspirational but what struck me as odd, he basically never did clean his finds that much and as far as identifying a variety of a particular coin, I don't think he ever "got into that". To this day I wonder out of the thousands of colonials and early American coins that he found, how many of them are of the rare, very rare or even one or two known variety. I know he is and was not alone, that there are still to this day many who find the coppers and just are satisfied to know what it is and never go beyond that. It is a shame for some if they are in need of cash, since even a lowly copper with wear and some corrosion, can bring big bucks if it is one that is desired by collectors. Funny, for example, a ground found 1794 Large Cent can be either a $25 coin or a $2500 coin in same condition, just depends upon the rarity.........

Bottom line, carefully look at all coins you found, very old or just old and try to get the variety identified, and Red Book is not the best guide in the world for it, if one does not have the books, one does have the computer and the power of google and others search engines, most of the data needed is on line, somewhere, and if not, people on the numerous forums on the internet are usually there to help ID, free of charge. :D
Don

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
a ground found 1794 Large Cent can be either a $25 coin or a $2500 coin in same condition, just depends upon the rarity.........

Don

Yeah and a CT can be $20 or $20,000. :tongue3: Would imagine it would have to be unique and pretty sweet condition to have that sort of value, but I believe it is possible.

I think people that have no interest in what variety they have don't know how much the value can change. The Redbook certainly doesn't do them any favors either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread