Fire chief gold badge heirloom found on MS Gulf Coast

goodhubby

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
Bay St. Louis MS
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I live in Bay St. Louis, MS, pretty close to ground zero for Hurricane Katrina. Originally from New Orleans, my wife Sally and I moved to the Coast in 1991 to live close to her parents. They are retired and had a beautiful home on the beach in Waveland, just west of Bay St. Louis.

Our community suffered incredible damage from the storm, but Sally and I were very lucky that our home was not destroyed. We lost about one-third of the metal roof on our 100 year old house. The rain drenched our master bedroom and kitchen, but we did not flood and were happy to still have our possessions. My wife's parents were not so lucky. Along with everyone else within a half mile of the beach, their home and property was nearly wiped clean by the winds and storm surge. When evacuating, they did not anticipate the intensity of the approaching hurricane. Unfortunately, they left most of their valuables and heirlooms behind.

One of my father-in-law's prized possessions was a 14k gold fire chief's badge that belonged to his grandfather. His grandfather, John Michael Evans, was Fire Chief of New Orleans sometime around the 1920s. The gold badge was presented to him by officers and members of the New Orleans Fire Department on March 23, 1921. My father-in-law, also John Evans, was heartsick over losing the badge. All he talked about was finding it.

Mr. John (I also call him Paw) used to have a metal detector. I used it a couple of times on the beach and actually found a nice silver ring my first time out. I was hooked that first day in treasure hunting but unable to devote a lot of time to the hobby due to my work schedule. I decided after the storm that I would invest in a metal detector to search the beaches for lost items scattered along the coastline. But my first priority was to help Mr. John search the grounds around his home for his lost valuables and especially the Chief's badge.

I bought a Garrett Treasure Ace 300. I thought I might invest in a more advanced detector later if I was to get really serious, but for now the Ace 300 would probably work fine. Mr. John and I got together on Tuesday, April 4, since I had the day off work. Two Sundays before we had drained the murky water in the pool. We had looked but didn't find the badge or any valuables, but we did sadly solve a big mystery by finding my mother-in-law Bobbie'sbaby grand piano in the deep end.

The four bedroom "big house" once faced the beach at the front of the property. Behind the main house there had been a two bedroom cottage, an RV shed with a one bedroom apartment, a pool house, and the garden shed. On holiday weekends the whole family could get together and sleep over if necessary. My wife Sally is the youngest of seven children, and there are nine grandchildren.

The only thing left of the main house was the concrete block piers and beams and some 2"x12" decking timbers. The property is only about 90 feet wide but stretches back about 1800 feet deep. When I had thought about finding the badge, it seemed like a daunting task. Depending on how the house had broken up and where the furniture had been tossed during the storm, their stuff could be anywhere within hundreds of yards in any direction. Much of their furniture had literally disappeared. He had not even found small traces of big heavy dressers where the valuables had been kept.

So I knew that finding the gold badge would be like finding the needle in a haystack. I turned my detector on and aimed it at a section of sand where the main house had stood. Mr. John thought a lot of items might be right under spots where the furniture used to sit in the master bedroom. I had my doubts. But when I dug the shovel in to scoop my first beep, I turned over three pieces of my mother-in-law's fine silver, buried in packed sand about three inches deep. What a find right off the bat! We were both encouraged and kept working a six-by-eight foot area. Along with more silverware, including a cake server, we found Mr. John's silver I.D. bracelet that his mother had given him as a teenager. All the pieces were a little crusty and needed a good cleaning, but our first fifteen minutes were really paying off.

The gnats were horrible, and the sun pretty hot and bright, but a nice cool Gulf breeze was blowing off the water and made the digging fun. We put on some bug spray, and Mr. John suggested we move to another place he thought would be good to search. I had been hogging the detector, so I offered to dig while he searched. He got a quick beep. I dug up a nail. Then he began waving the coil too quickly, missing a lot of space. I said, "Paw, go slower, and make sure you get along the edges," while pointing to a small area he missed. He swung the detector to the spot where I was pointing and "beep," I heard the detector go off through the headphones. I stuck the shovel in the sand and turned it up towards the concrete edge. In shock and excitement I suddenly saw a large piece of shimmering gold.

For a split second I thought we found a big piece of costume jewelry. But the glimmer of that gold was unmistakably real, and as I bent over to pick it up, I think we both managed to say at the same time, "I can't believe it." It was the lost badge. It was beautiful. A little dirty and somehow missing its leather case, but still as shiny as ever, and with the pocket pin still attached on the thin gold chain!

We kept repeating "I can?t believe it" and "This is a miracle" for the next two hours as we continued working the sand, finding more keepsakes and coins. Of course there was so much trash metal that we got a beep within every foot. In fact, we are rethinking our plan of detecting and may just set up a dig and sift system to find what we can from the mix of sand, glass and metal.

In closing, Paw called me the hero of the family. Talk about being in the "Circle of Trust!" He could not wait to tell his younger brother Ken. Uncle Ken and his wife BeBe also lived in Bay St. Louis and lost their home and possessions too. Uncle Ken is missing a very large silver shield/plaque that had been awarded to their grandfather by the fire department. I hope that someday someone finds that beautiful shield somewhere along the Coast, appreciates the sentimental value of this unique heirloom, and returns it to my wife's family.

Finding the gold badge in the first 20 minutes of searching WAS a miracle, but we hope to find more. At this point, Paw says anything else we find will be icing on the cake.

Attachments

• Chief Badge #1.JPG
    Chief Badge #1.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,075
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent story ...Thanks so muchj for sharing it with us. I am so glad thatt you were able to find that heirloom again!!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
VANCE, I Know First Hand The True Value Of That Badge, I am Retiring in Sept After 35 Yrs in the F.D. Congrats On The Great Recovery. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,621
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,090
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 116.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,572
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,090
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,540

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great story, vance, well written, too. That is amazing that you found the badge so quickly. :o Congratulations.

Welcome to the forum. If you have any other great finds, post them so we can see what you found! :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Gulf Shores originally and have been through a few storms. It is amazing that you two found the badge!! You got to love a happy ending. Congratulations and give all our best.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great story. Thank you for sharing. I remember Katrina. She just passed through here on her way to the Gulf Coast in her destructive rampage.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Very Inspiring and well written also.Family hierlooms are a window to the past and often invoke good memories of times gone by.Thier value,priceless.I hope you find many more.I'm glad you decided to share this with us here.I hope you visit often.

OP
OP
goodhubby

goodhubby

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
Bay St. Louis MS
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Update: This past Sunday we went back to search for more items. We started off the day finding Mr. John's collectible luger pistol, but it is not in good shape. We also managed to find more silverware and a couple of pieces of special china with little blue anchors that my mother-in-law loved, all buried in the sand. The gnats were swarming and biting like crazy, so we were just about to leave and go get a burger when we made our big find of the day, my father-in-law's slabbed $20 gold piece that he kept in his dresser drawer. He was very happy to find his only gold coin. We had another great day for only the second time out.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vance,

A heart warming story after a heart breaking event. Thanks for sharing with us & welcome to the TN forum.

I'm just a hop, skip & a jump from you, if you want to get away from the coast for a day, you're more than welcome to come MD with me.

;)
RR

M

MAC

Great Story,

I know alot about what you and your family are going thru. I live in Metairie LA, and had a weekend camp in Clearmont Harbor. Notice I said had! Katrina took it along with every house in that community. I haven't had the nerve to try and MD the area yet and I'm not sure how the community would feel about me digging for things that may have come from their property. All in all, a great story. Good Luck

Mac

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was great!

A

Aguila

Excellent!!!!!Looks like you found a silver (gold) lining for that cloud. Congrats...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread