Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2644 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Taking detecting find to Antique's Roadshow tomorrow!!!

That will be cool!!I love that Musket!!!
    I swear that first item is a cloak clasp,possibly for the Haitian army?Phoenix button affiliation??
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Bev

I wish I read this earlier- I would have suggested to bring a book! The lines are insane but worth it! I went to it when they came to Rhode Island a few years back! Don't miss the opportunity if you get the chance!

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver µMax
    1959 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by vthepresident
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

First is probably a cloak clasp, possibly worn by military, but not an actual military item. There's also lions, and many more designs for these.

Stick around, maybe the other IDs will come and we'll send you detecting instead.
    It is Absolutely a cloak clasp--as evidenced by the hook for the eyelet in the opposing side of the garment, and the button shanks on the back for sewing it on.

I am almost positive it is a civilian item, from the 1820-50 age range.

-Buck
    Thanks a lot! I am thrilled that it's that old. I love personal items like these, and I have been sick over the fact that the wing tips are bent... and the decapitation doesn't help either.
    It's the pocket watch line for me today instead then!
    V
    The wings Can be restored--but it takes a lot of practice and something you wouldn't want to be your first piece. I do it by heating with boiling water, then bending slowly. I will only bend once. Very, very seldom twice. The more you bend, the more likely it is to break. Sometimes I don't even bend it quite all the way back, depending on what I feel while I do the bend. You can usually feel if it's going to break--I don't know how to explain it, but it's true.

Practice on Lots of bent-up suspender clips before you attempt that. I have only seen one cloak clasp dug in 18 years, and I do not think they were common items at all. It was hard to even find a photo online of a cloak clasp of the same vintage.

Regards,

Buckles
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
    1826 Two Reales
    1815 Ferdinand 1 Real
    1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    Five Seated Half Dimes: Two 1840-O Half Dimes, 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC, 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888 Seated Dimes
    U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
    Large New Orleans Hallmarked Silver Spoon
    185? Large Cent
    Confederate Pelican Civil War Button
    1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
    CW Eagle "I" Button
    CW Era "snake" Sword Hanger
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1896 Barber Quarter
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1902-O Barber Dime
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    186?, 1866, and a Dateless Shield Nickel
    Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
    Plantation Tokens
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    Dec 2007
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
    3 times

Antiques Roadshow Recap! Had a great time! *Appraisal Update*

Thanks for all the great replies. I had a fantastic fun day in our nation's capital, and Antique's Roadshow was a blast.

It turns out my rifle was an army issue 1851 Springfield .54 caliber, and due to the condition and the absence of the ramrod, it was worth $300-$500. It is a family heirloom, and I will keep fleshing out my family history to hopefully match the initials with a person, but it was great to hear about it from the experts!

Thanks for all the help with the cloak clasp. It will now get a much higher place in my displays, and I might even try straightening it out one day (Thanks BB).

The pocket watch case was not 1794, but rather 1814, which is still pretty awesome for a silver find in my book. The guy told me that it would have had all the workings inside the part I have, and then the whold thing would have fit inside another case that had a flip down lens to cover it. As I was walking away from the booth, the appraiser called me back and showed me the next guy in lines watch, which was almost identical to mine, except that it was complete. It was minted in London only six years prior to mine! It was neat to see the complete thing, and his watch appraised for $600-$800.

I saw some AWESOME antiques, and had a really fun time all day long. We went to look at the coins and the military section in the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and I don't really recommend that for detectorists, because seeing all those Holy Grails of Digging in one place will make you very jealous. Seriously, it was really nice to see the originials and the finest examples of all the things we search for. It truly is the connection to our nation's history that keeps me digging, and seeing George Washington's epaulettes, and Andrew Jackson's hunting rifle in person really makes you feel connected to your countrymen.

Thanks for all the replies, and I would recommend the Roadshow to everyone
    V

ca
    Detect everyday like it's your last day!

Apr 2010
    Ontario Canada
    Garrett At Pro, Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    646 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Antiques Roadshow Recap! Had a great time! *Appraisal Update*

Great to hear you enjoyed yourself there V.
    Not quite as much fun as finding gold in the hole, but almost as much fun as finding silver!
    My passion is for hunting relic sites, as I feel the imprint of past lives often lingers there!
    Detectorists finds, are the background noise of antiquity!
    Don't question it ... just dig it!

us
    Feb 2009
    West Virginia
    Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
    87 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Thanks for all the great replies. I had a fantastic fun day in our nation's capital, and Antique's Roadshow was a blast.

It turns out my rifle was an army issue 1851 Springfield .54 caliber, and due to the condition and the absence of the ramrod, it was worth $300-$500. It is a family heirloom, and I will keep fleshing out my family history to hopefully match the initials with a person, but it was great to hear about it from the experts!

Thanks for all the help with the cloak clasp. It will now get a much higher place in my displays, and I might even try straightening it out one day (Thanks BB).

The pocket watch case was not 1794, but rather 1814, which is still pretty awesome for a silver find in my book. The guy told me that it would have had all the workings inside the part I have, and then the whold thing would have fit inside another case that had a flip down lens to cover it. As I was walking away from the booth, the appraiser called me back and showed me the next guy in lines watch, which was almost identical to mine, except that it was complete. It was minted in London only six years prior to mine! It was neat to see the complete thing, and his watch appraised for $600-$800.

I saw some AWESOME antiques, and had a really fun time all day long. We went to look at the coins and the military section in the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and I don't really recommend that for detectorists, because seeing all those Holy Grails of Digging in one place will make you very jealous. Seriously, it was really nice to see the originials and the finest examples of all the things we search for. It truly is the connection to our nation's history that keeps me digging, and seeing George Washington's epaulettes, and Andrew Jackson's hunting rifle in person really makes you feel connected to your countrymen.

Thanks for all the replies, and I would recommend the Roadshow to everyone
    V
    I know a guy who comes with a ton of very good references that can fix that cloak clasp as good as anyone could. He does it on another site quite often and is very known for his work. He is very reasonable with his cost too. Send me a message if your interested and I will get you his info.
    Dirty Mike

us
    Mar 2005
    good ole Tennessee
    Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max
    6 times

I went to the RoadShow in Chattanooga...I had an awesome time....met the Keno twins...lol
    John 3:16

us
    Apr 2010
    Breckentucky MI
    Garrett Ace 250
    28 times

The pocket watch case was not 1794, but rather 1814, which is still pretty awesome for a silver find in my book.
    This is just my humble, untrained opinion, but I don't think they dated the watch correctly. 1794 or 1834 seems much more likely. Compare the "t" on the watch to the others shown below for those 3 years. 1814 is the one it looks least like.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datestamp.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	442214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dates.jpg 
Views:	1091 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	442215  

us
    Dec 2007
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by daroofa
    The pocket watch case was not 1794, but rather 1814, which is still pretty awesome for a silver find in my book.
    This is just my humble, untrained opinion, but I don't think they dated the watch correctly. 1794 or 1834 seems much more likely. Compare the "t" on the watch to the others shown below for those 3 years. 1814 is the one it looks least like.

That's what I thought, too!
    The Leopard head facing forward on the right (hard to see in pic) indicates London.
    The Lion at the top makes it sterling silver.
    The bust of King George gives some clues to the date.
    I think the lower case "t" definitely falls in the 1794-1834 choices.
    I can't find the chart I originally looked at, but the bust on my watch didn't look nearly as much like the bust on the 1834 chart. It looked much closer to the 1794 image. Also, the style of the watch (key wound, long top post) was a lot more consistent with late 18th century watches.

The silver line at the roadshow was very long, and there was only one appraiser there, and he really didn't spend much time with my watch, so maybe he didn't read it correctly. Either way, I still had a great time, and this is still one of my favorite finds.
    Thanks for the reply
    V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors