19 C.W. African-American Soldiers from 55th Mass. Found and Excavated! NEW PICS!

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Folly’s forgotten sons of the Union

By Robert Bohrn

I love Folly Beach. Being born and raised on James Island, Folly Beach is a part of my soul that I have always cherished and loved. As an infant in the 1950s, I cut my teeth on the surf and sands of her beach. As a child I learned to swim, body surf, and collect shells on her shoreline. And as a teenager I began to walk in the footsteps of Union Army soldiers whose footprints were washed away by time and tide.

During my Fort Johnson High School years (1972-76), I began to relic hunt Folly Beach with a passion. Research and legwork led me to find many artifacts left by the Union Armies’ occupation during the Civil War.

Folly Beach became the staging area for the Union Army in 1863. Its proximity to Morris Island made it a perfect location for the placement of troops, as well as all of the equipment necessary for the capture of Charleston. It was at this point that Folly Island became a sea island city. With bakeries, lumberyards, newly made roads and large camps of Union soldiers, the island’s population swelled to well over 10,000 inhabitants. Each camp was the pride of their respective regiment. Soldiers from states such as New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Indiana, and Illinois were present. Each of these soldiers, experiencing the southern climate for the first time, learned of its difficult and deadly nature. Many soldiers succumbed to diseases that occurred because of poor food quality, unsanitary conditions, and the island’s bad water supply.

Then in July and August of 1863, the 54th and 55th Massachusetts, the first African-American soldiers in the United States Army, arrived on Folly Island. Little did the soldiers know that their presence would change history.

The 55th Massachusetts was the sister regiment of the 54th. When the call went out in Massachusetts that an African-American Regiment was being raised, the response was so overwhelming that it became possible to raise two regiments. The 55th arrived on Folly in August of 1863. The troops’ first order of duty was to prepare a campsite on the island. Tents were raised, the jungle was cleared, and roads were made. The camp was to be one of the best on the island, complete with a hospital, a sutlers and an ordnance store. Wells and latrines were dug and stables for the horses were built. From this camp, soldiers would leave daily to perform arduous fatigue labor on Folly and Morris Islands. Building fortifications on Morris Island, these soldiers were under constant artillery fire from the Confederates. They sustained many casualties during their fatigue duty, but they would have to fight an even more deadly foe: disease.

In 1972, when I first began to search for relics on Folly, I was lucky to be granted permission to metal detect around some good spots on the island. I found bullets and buttons lost by the soldiers, and for years I would search this sea island for artifacts. On the beach, in the jungles, and in home owners’ yards, my search for the Union Armies’ leftovers would continue.

Then in 1987 my life would change forever. A new housing development was being built where I knew I had found Union relics before. As they began to clear a road through the palms, I was right there behind the bulldozers. Relics were to be found just about everywhere. Uniform buttons, bullets and other artifacts were being brought to light because of the bulldozing and land clearing.

Then, they started to bulldoze a small sand dune where I had never found artifacts before. But as they cleared the dune down about four feet, we began to find uniform buttons. The buttons were very corroded, which was unusual because normally the buttons were not corroded at all. As I was digging one of those buttons, my hunting partner found a human femur. We immediately stopped digging, left the site and went to my home to figure out what we had discovered. Our game plan was to return the next day and walk the site without metal detectors to see if we could see any more bones. If we found more, we were going to contact the University of South Carolina Archeology and Anthropology department.

The night before our return it rained all evening. This would uncover any more bones that the bulldozer had uncovered. As we arrived at the site we began to find small bones scattered about that the rain had exposed. Only small bones were found, so we assumed that just one soldier uncovered. I gathered up the bones in a small towel, walked about ten yards and started to dig a hole to place the bones in. As the shovel entered the sand it struck an object about a foot down. On the end of the shovel were three human vertebrae held together by a root. I looked into the hole and saw three Union buttons. Overwhelmed by what was being uncovered around me, I simply sat there in the sand. Relic hunting, in an instant, had become something sacred. I was actually touching a Union soldier from the Civil War.
I filled in the hole, placing the bones carefully back into it. I then contacted the University of South Carolina and told them about what I had discovered. We met at the site, and showed them where the remains were found.
For two weeks we excavated a total of 19 Union soldiers. Research would show that the soldiers were from the 55th Massachusetts. The discovery would be the first of its kind ever made. It was determined from military records that these soldiers died of disease while on Folly Beach. The soldiers were reburied on Memorial Day 1989, with full military honors in the Beaufort National Cemetery. Thousands attended this event, and relatives of the soldiers and the Governor of Massachusetts were in attendance.
And all of this happened because of a shovel full of sand from Folly Beach.
Now, twenty years after their reburial, we are on a mission to recognize these 19 soldiers who gave the last full measure of a soldier for their country. As a small gesture of thanks for their sacrifice, we are working with the State of South Carolina to have a State Historical Marker placed here on Folly Beach. A piece of cast aluminum to honor those of flesh and blood who fought, lived and died here on Folly Beach.
It is an honor and a privilege to recognize their sacrifice, and future generations will benefit from the memory of what they did during the Civil War here on Folly Beach

Attachments

• img076.jpg
    img076.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 4,301
  • img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,890
  • img078.jpg
    img078.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,421
Upvote 1

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Words alone cannot describe my feelings for what you did :notworthy: You went beyond what many would have done. This should have made world news :notworthy: But most of all, god bless those forgotten souls who wanted to fight for a cause they believed in at that time in history. I hope they (you) found all of them poor souls ::)

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_thumright:
Thanks for the additional pics REB!! :hello2: Those brave Mass. 55th soldiers deserve our respect and honor that you helped to give them. What a great post my friend!
Keith

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Thanks for the great comments! Here are more pics!
REB

Attachments

• img098.jpg
    img098.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 2,063
  • pic300593.jpg
    pic300593.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,030

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
55th Massachusetts,

There aren't many people in this world who would have handled this task as well as you did. Like another poster said -- seems like you were in training for this for years. Thank you for sharing your story here.

And thank you for the additional pictures. To see the actual soldiers is, really, beyond incredible.

I am in Tennessee right now, and learning everything I can about the Civil War. I haven't been out with a detector yet -- all of this has made a huge impression on me; and I am not even sure where hallowed ground ends. This land is all very precious, and your article and photos really drives this home. And not just for the CW, but for all of our Nation's wars. Years before I was born my Uncle, an Army Lt., died in a jungle in the Philippines. Uncle Eddie's actual grave is unknown...to us...but God knows where he is.

And you answered one question that has come up in my family: the burials were so simple -- often shallow, after so many years, are there actually any human remains in the soil? Now we know the answer: yes. When digging, I will always be careful.

Thank you again for a most incredible story and photos.

Katt

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Thank you midnightmoon! That has to be one of my favorite comments on my find!

As I have said before, it is one thing to find the artifacts lost by soldiers form the Civil War, but it is quite another thing to find the soldiers who lost those artifacts.......

I am and will always be in awe of their ultimate sacrifice.

REB

Attachments

• img213.jpg
    img213.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,921

Bugsterx2

Jan 29, 2011
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Re: 19 Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts African American Soldiers Remains Found

55th Massachusetts said:
Thank you all for your kind words! I WILL NEVER find anything better than those lost souls on Folly Beach. Never

As for ANY acknowledgement from the State of South Carolina......NONE!

As for ANY acknowledgement from the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology......NONE!

But, from you, my peers, is an acknowledgement that is the best I can hope for.

And I thank you!

Robert E. Bohrn

Robert,

During the reburial ceremony were you able to talk with any of the soldier's families and if so, did any of them acknowledge your discovery? I know you mentioned you did not receive any formal acknowledgements on this find from the State or Institute of A&A, but I don't remember seeing anything about the families. Sorry, if I inadvertently missed this!

Irregardless of any formal acknowledgements , I can say with certainity that you are an honorable man! Your discovery and subsequent actions helped to secure the recognition and burial that these men deserved for their service. You can rest assured that God has and will continue to Bless you for this honorable and kind act!

Best regards,
Jim

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be voted for the Banner I think. Some people my not agree with me but I say banner even though this find was a while ago. BANNER :hello2: BANNER :hello2: BANNER :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :icon_thumright:

Wrecker58

Oct 27, 2010
charlestowne south carolina
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
minelab ctx3030
garrett pin pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im from folly beach as well! i grew up listening to the stories my grandmother told me of "morgue island". Morris and folly island used to be littered with washed up bodies from the deaths on the forts and naval battles off the coast and in our harbours. VERY COOL post! thanks for sharing! Those skeletons are abs amazing finds!
-cj

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Your story really touched my heart. I applaud everything you and the other people have done to show these heroes have been laid to rest. God Bless you !

-Tx

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Thank you all for your more than kind words.

And as for a banner vote, or any other recognition, well, that is just not going to happen.

I did all I could do, and still do, for the pure love of history.

That my friends, is reward enough for me.
REB

Attachments

• img102.jpg
    img102.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,459

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday was the unveiling ceremony of the historical marker to commemorate and honor the troops of the 55th Mass. regt. stationed on Folly Beach, SC. In 1987 Robert Bohrn discovered 19 unmarked graves of the 55th Mass., while relic hunting. The fallen soldiers were removed to the Beaufort National Cemetery and reburied with full military honors.
Some photos of the ceremony are below.

Attachments

• gunsalute.jpg
    gunsalute.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Robertplaque.jpg
    Robertplaque.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • markersideA.jpg
    markersideA.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • markersideB.jpg
    markersideB.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,005

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Robert 55th; From a Boston Veyeran with 39 years in the detecting field. May God Bless You And Yours.

I see that Bronze Statue Every day here. I loved the movie GLORY.

PEACE:RONB :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread