19 C.W. African-American Soldiers from 55th Mass. Found and Excavated! NEW PICS!

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Folly’s forgotten sons of the Union

By Robert Bohrn

I love Folly Beach. Being born and raised on James Island, Folly Beach is a part of my soul that I have always cherished and loved. As an infant in the 1950s, I cut my teeth on the surf and sands of her beach. As a child I learned to swim, body surf, and collect shells on her shoreline. And as a teenager I began to walk in the footsteps of Union Army soldiers whose footprints were washed away by time and tide.

During my Fort Johnson High School years (1972-76), I began to relic hunt Folly Beach with a passion. Research and legwork led me to find many artifacts left by the Union Armies’ occupation during the Civil War.

Folly Beach became the staging area for the Union Army in 1863. Its proximity to Morris Island made it a perfect location for the placement of troops, as well as all of the equipment necessary for the capture of Charleston. It was at this point that Folly Island became a sea island city. With bakeries, lumberyards, newly made roads and large camps of Union soldiers, the island’s population swelled to well over 10,000 inhabitants. Each camp was the pride of their respective regiment. Soldiers from states such as New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Indiana, and Illinois were present. Each of these soldiers, experiencing the southern climate for the first time, learned of its difficult and deadly nature. Many soldiers succumbed to diseases that occurred because of poor food quality, unsanitary conditions, and the island’s bad water supply.

Then in July and August of 1863, the 54th and 55th Massachusetts, the first African-American soldiers in the United States Army, arrived on Folly Island. Little did the soldiers know that their presence would change history.

The 55th Massachusetts was the sister regiment of the 54th. When the call went out in Massachusetts that an African-American Regiment was being raised, the response was so overwhelming that it became possible to raise two regiments. The 55th arrived on Folly in August of 1863. The troops’ first order of duty was to prepare a campsite on the island. Tents were raised, the jungle was cleared, and roads were made. The camp was to be one of the best on the island, complete with a hospital, a sutlers and an ordnance store. Wells and latrines were dug and stables for the horses were built. From this camp, soldiers would leave daily to perform arduous fatigue labor on Folly and Morris Islands. Building fortifications on Morris Island, these soldiers were under constant artillery fire from the Confederates. They sustained many casualties during their fatigue duty, but they would have to fight an even more deadly foe: disease.

In 1972, when I first began to search for relics on Folly, I was lucky to be granted permission to metal detect around some good spots on the island. I found bullets and buttons lost by the soldiers, and for years I would search this sea island for artifacts. On the beach, in the jungles, and in home owners’ yards, my search for the Union Armies’ leftovers would continue.

Then in 1987 my life would change forever. A new housing development was being built where I knew I had found Union relics before. As they began to clear a road through the palms, I was right there behind the bulldozers. Relics were to be found just about everywhere. Uniform buttons, bullets and other artifacts were being brought to light because of the bulldozing and land clearing.

Then, they started to bulldoze a small sand dune where I had never found artifacts before. But as they cleared the dune down about four feet, we began to find uniform buttons. The buttons were very corroded, which was unusual because normally the buttons were not corroded at all. As I was digging one of those buttons, my hunting partner found a human femur. We immediately stopped digging, left the site and went to my home to figure out what we had discovered. Our game plan was to return the next day and walk the site without metal detectors to see if we could see any more bones. If we found more, we were going to contact the University of South Carolina Archeology and Anthropology department.

The night before our return it rained all evening. This would uncover any more bones that the bulldozer had uncovered. As we arrived at the site we began to find small bones scattered about that the rain had exposed. Only small bones were found, so we assumed that just one soldier uncovered. I gathered up the bones in a small towel, walked about ten yards and started to dig a hole to place the bones in. As the shovel entered the sand it struck an object about a foot down. On the end of the shovel were three human vertebrae held together by a root. I looked into the hole and saw three Union buttons. Overwhelmed by what was being uncovered around me, I simply sat there in the sand. Relic hunting, in an instant, had become something sacred. I was actually touching a Union soldier from the Civil War.
I filled in the hole, placing the bones carefully back into it. I then contacted the University of South Carolina and told them about what I had discovered. We met at the site, and showed them where the remains were found.
For two weeks we excavated a total of 19 Union soldiers. Research would show that the soldiers were from the 55th Massachusetts. The discovery would be the first of its kind ever made. It was determined from military records that these soldiers died of disease while on Folly Beach. The soldiers were reburied on Memorial Day 1989, with full military honors in the Beaufort National Cemetery. Thousands attended this event, and relatives of the soldiers and the Governor of Massachusetts were in attendance.
And all of this happened because of a shovel full of sand from Folly Beach.
Now, twenty years after their reburial, we are on a mission to recognize these 19 soldiers who gave the last full measure of a soldier for their country. As a small gesture of thanks for their sacrifice, we are working with the State of South Carolina to have a State Historical Marker placed here on Folly Beach. A piece of cast aluminum to honor those of flesh and blood who fought, lived and died here on Folly Beach.
It is an honor and a privilege to recognize their sacrifice, and future generations will benefit from the memory of what they did during the Civil War here on Folly Beach

Attachments

• img076.jpg
    img076.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 4,301
  • img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,890
  • img078.jpg
    img078.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,421
Upvote 1

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Re: 19 Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts African American Soldiers Remains Found

I just want to say God Bless You for this Post, This should be placed on the banner now and for always. Im a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom before it became known as operation enduring freedom.I served two tours of duty in iraq during 2003-2004 with the 4th batallion 5th air defense artillery brigade out of ft hood texas and to see someone take there own time to recover the remains of these fallen soldiers is truly heartfelt and should not soon be forgotten. Thanks So Much For Sharing This With Me.

John.

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Re: 19 Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts African American Soldiers Remains Found

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
Simply amazing, WOW!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Don't think I've ever read a better treasure story than this short bit that accounts for volumes of our history. Thanks go to you and those you restored to our knowledge of our past!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

:icon_thumright: :hello2: :hello2:
This story is amazing and its great to see the contribution to state and national history from a relic hunter. I hope SCIAA gave you "amature archaeologist of the year" which you deserve, and I hope the state of SC recognized you with a state award. If they did not, well, shame on them! Your relic hunting peers acknowledge, and respect the hard work and proper place that you helped to give these fallen heroes. A big congrats to you!
Keith

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thank you all for your kind words! I WILL NEVER find anything better than those lost souls on Folly Beach. Never

As for ANY acknowledgement from the State of South Carolina......NONE!

As for ANY acknowledgement from the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology......NONE!

But, from you, my peers, is an acknowledgement that is the best I can hope for.

And I thank you!

Robert E. Bohrn

Attachments

• pic299064.jpg
    pic299064.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 4,012

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 19 Civil War African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts Found!

I know you have had lots of replies, but I hope you read this particular one. For years I taught US History--as an AP and College Professor. I always had my students watch the movie "Glory" after reading actual documents from soldiers in the 54th, they determined what was accurate and non-accurate. I am very happy you gave these men who glorified our nation the due they deserved.

apush :read2:

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Absolutely wonderful that you had the opportunity to be intimately involved with the finding and reburial of these men. It was almost as if you had prepared for it your whole life. It is not often that such a privilege comes to anyone. God bless those men who served in a terrible time of our nation's history and thank you for finding them. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

you sir deserve praise for allowing these men their properly due honor -- weither one died by bullet or disease they died as "fighting men" doing their duty.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's one of the most amazing stories I've ever read on this website.... *speechless*

Bran <><

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thank you for all of the heart felt comments. These soldiers finally have gotten the respect they deserve, because of people such as yourselves.

The other interesting part of this story is this. My father, step father, and mother are all buried in the same cemetery as the 19 soldiers. It is the Beaufort National Cemetery, in Beaufort South Carolina.

This quote by Archaeologist Ivor Noel-Hume from his new book "Passion for the Past" pretty much describes the relics we uncover;

“The death of any human memory erases the history of every inanimate object that has contributed to it. A pebble brought back from a honeymoon may lie in a dresser drawer throughout a married lifetime, yet in the twilight of widowhood it recalls the moonlight, lapping waves, sand between the toes, and whispered words of love. It is the pebble that he picked up as he spoke them, yet at the instant of her death that magic pebble becomes just another rock."

Too bad this couldn't have been a banner thingy!
REB

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 19 Civil War African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts Found NEW PIC

Darn great follow up!!! Thank you so much for sharing this... I also passed this thread link to my Florida History professor who said he may like to share this story with his students in his American History class. :)

Bran <><

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Re: 19 Civil War African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts Found NEW PIC

Man,This is to great, I replied to this when you first posted it but i came back today just to see it again. I want to tell you something,You dont know me and i dont know you but we have a saying in the united states army "Once A Soldier,Always A Soldier" And by doing the things you have done, The soldiers are getting there deserved respect in beaumont cemetery.I cant explain how much this has touched my heart and how it makes me feel inside. But being a fellow veteran and a soldier of the united states army, I can tell you this much. People like you are the reason soldiers like me see it fit to go to war,No matter the reason of death,disease or battle wounds,What you have done for these fallen men of the 1800`s reminds us of the people we fight for today.Why this isnt a banner post is beyond me.They`d be as well off to post a god**mn pop can if they dont post this.This is a true REAL treasure,anyone can find gold or silver,But it takes a hell of a man to recover and honor 19 dead soldiers of this great nation.I could dig every treasure from here to china and nothing i`d ever find would come close to this.

God Bless & Happy Hunting
John

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a VietNam vet,God bless you and thanks.

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Re: 19 C.W. African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts NEW PICS BUTTONS

Here are some photos of artifacts found from the first bulldozed grave. The Eagle button still has a large piece of uniform attached to the back. This soldier was buried wrapped in his poncho, and I found the grommets from the poncho.

The horrors these small pieces of brass must have seen bring a chill to me each time I look at them. But, I do look at them lest "we" forget.

These small relics are all that remain of a Union soldier that gave the last full measure. His scattered and bulldozed remains were picked up, and he was buried with full military honors at the Beaufort National Cemetery along with his comrades.
REB

Attachments

• 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,639
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 3,652

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 19 C.W. African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts NEW PICS BUTTONS

what an incredible story! i never seen this till now.gave me a warm fuzzy feeling and a tear to the corner of my eye.very very nice! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thanks HEAVYMETALNUT!
REB

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv

Thank you...The story brought tears to my eyes, the humanity and thoughtfulness you gave to these fallen soldiers made me appreciate even more my fellow man.
Wonderfully written...your actions should be acknowledged for the care and professionalism you displayed, while honoring these men.

Thank you. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

~Scott

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

The only thing I can say is wow.You found some amazing history and I'm sure you are very proud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions