Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this rare 1700s Dutch copper pipe last Sunday at our latest Colonial site. The artifact was identified by Ivor Noel Hume. I truly feel lucky enough to have dug such a rare piece, but to have Mr. Hume give his opinion on it makes this recovery even more sweet. This is my best, most cherished relic in my collection.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Attachments

• DSCF4157.JPG
    DSCF4157.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCF4159.JPG
    DSCF4159.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCF4165.JPG
    DSCF4165.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF4157.JPG
    DSCF4157.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCF4159.JPG
    DSCF4159.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 4

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW!
To have Hume examine your rare pipe is quite an honor! I think your piece belongs up top due to its rarity and significance. 18th century copper trade pipes are SUPER RARE! Congrats on your best recovery!

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SC Keith said:
WOW!
To have Hume examine your rare pipe is quite an honor! I think your piece belongs up top due to its rarity and significance. 18th century copper trade pipes are SUPER RARE! Congrats on your best recovery!

Thanks, man, for the reply and your friendship. Once I found out about how rare it was, I had to give you a call the other day. I knew you would totally appreciate the significance of it. It would be cool to see it up top.

Kirk :hello:

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Hey, I ID'd it first. ;D

Seriously, SUPER find, and a HUGE honor, to have it ID'd by the guy who wrote the book on ID'ing. :hello2:

What did he think about the stem? Broken, or not? Did he think it was originally silver plate?

A pewter one was just posted in the Fur Trade Artifacts section. I would say about the same era, or a bit earlier.

Congrats again... super, super item. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lucas said:
Hey, I ID'd it first. ;D

Seriously, SUPER find, and a HUGE honor, to have it ID'd by the guy who wrote the book on ID'ing. :hello2:

What did he think about the stem? Broken, or not? Did he think it was originally silver plate?

A pewter one was just posted in the Fur Trade Artifacts section. I would say about the same era, or a bit earlier.

Congrats again... super, super item. :icon_thumright:

Thanks, Lucas, do you know the possible value of my copper pipe?

Kirk

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug this rare 1700s Dutch copper pipe last Sunday at our latest Colonial site. The artifact was identified by Ivor Noel Hume. I truly feel lucky enough to have dug such a rare piece, but to have Mr. Hume give his opinion on it makes this recovery even more sweet. This is my best, most cherished relic in my collection.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Very cool Kirk - that is an awesome find!! Me and my hunting buds Dan and Joey actually got to meet and talk with Hume a couple years ago, and he even signed books for us. The last I heard he was still living in Williamsburg, and I've been wondering how to contact him as I have a few items I'd like to get his opinion on as well. Could you possibly share his contact info with me? You can contact me through a PM. Thanks!

hume pic with me.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread