Stone Ax Head

G

gdblaney

My uncle found a very old stone ax head while picking stones from a plowed field up in Preston County, West Virginia.? It is in almost perfect condition.? If you know anything about Preston County, WV, you'll know that it is up in the mountains of West Virginia where it gets very cold with lots of snow.? The people associated with this stone ax must have been very tough people.? I'm working to help my uncle determine its real age and value.? Just thought I'd share a picture of it.

Attachments

• stoneaxehead.jpg
    stoneaxehead.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 803
Upvote 0
T

TWOZ12

That is an awesome find! Please Post what research you come up with! ;)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is most assuredly an indian ax head, but it may predate that. I have an uncle who collects indian and clovis artifacts who has a large collection and i have seen ax heads in his collection very close to, or exactly like that one. That is an excellent find and i would search that area very thorughly to see if more things could be found.

N

nicknyc

hey all.. great site!

i found something very similar to this in my backyard of all places. it was flat and smooth on the bottom and came to a point on top. its shape fits right in the palm of your hand and it has grooves across the front of it. very strange. i'll try to get a pic of it up asap. i've never been able to figure out what it is.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
I'm not an expert by any means. I have one too and was told it was a hoe for cultivating. Nice piece!

N

nicknyc

here's the "thing" that i found that i mentioned earlier.? it fits right in your hand! nobody i have ever showed this to has ever given a different reaction.? its always the same... "huh? let me se... what the.. that's really weird. what is that?!"

i have no idea.

anyone else know? or know who i can ask?? Should I send the pics to Lar Hothem?

the bottom is completely smooth... it can stand up on it it so flat (bottom right).

myrock.jpg

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Definitely a cool find, sorry I cant help ID it. Try emailing those pictures to the guy Buckram recommended, hello and welcome to the forum!

N

nicknyc

thanks! :)

sent that email. . . i'll let you know what i find out!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Nicknyc. That's quite a find if it's not a fake. I saw a similar stone in a Discovery magazine article that was believed to be a fetish. An effigy of a woman for fertility purposes. I'll keep looking for the article and post a pic when I find it. I can't believe there's not an anthro-major in the nearly 4,000 members at this site. Good luck.~CO2

N

nicknyc

That's great news because before my grandfather bought the house in the late 40's, only one other couple lived in the house after it was built in 1929. First house in that section of Queens. I never met my grandfather but i doubt him or any of those other oldies were into faking ancient rock fetishes :D

i always figured it came up when my grandfather dug holes for the fence posts or the pear tree he planted nearby.

anyway.. i look forward to any information on it whatsoever either positive or negative.

later!

n

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread