dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I found this late last year in a park in the softest, most neutral ground I have ever dug in. This ring was at an honest 10-12 inches and hit like it was laying on top of the ground. LOUD! I thought it was a beautiful ring by design and spent some time trying to figure out what the symbols meant with no luck. The ring was retired to my box of rings. Recently my hunting buddy, forum member, veteran detectorist, and expert in the field of avionics ggossage was looking through a few of my finds. He instantly recognized the symbol on the front as Army Air Corps. His help turned a nice ring into something much more meaningful and educational. Just thought I would share. Thanks, JJ

Attachments

• wwIIring1.jpg
    wwIIring1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,649
  • wwIIring2.jpg
    wwIIring2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,428
  • wwIIring3.jpg
    wwIIring3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,650
Upvote 1

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awewsome find buddy tell Ggoose hello for me. :hello2:

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Thanks for the replies fellas. Will do, Terry. Stay safe over there in the big sandbox! :icon_salut:

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya its a big litter box lol but just wish I had my beeper sometimes. See ya this Summer buddy and HH all

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring! Don't you wish finds like that could tell their story?
Yard Digger

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
awesome ring :icon_thumleft: id like to find something like that. guess i need a MD. or luck. unfortunately, i have neither :laughing7:

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
SkyPirate said:
Very cool find and I like your avatar.

Thanks SkyPirate, that's what really bothered me about ID'ing the ring. I have always been a huge fan of WWII era war plane nose art and WWI era navy ship "Dazzle" (look that one up). Military insignia was the last thing my mind could think of when I was trying to ID the ring myself and I never connected the dots. Still kicking myself for that but I'm glad I finally got it ID'd and the ring means much more to me now than when I found it. Thanks to everyone else also for the great replies. JJ

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice ring i found i here at a Army WW2 air base but no prop on it :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find and silver :thumbsup: Too bad you couldn't find the owner or family member. That would be worth a lot to someone ::)

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
jgs2 said:
Thanks for the reply. I can't vouch for the borrowed use of insignia but I can't find a single navy ring from this period comparable to mine. I do however see ALLOT of vintage WWII era US Army Air Corps rings VERY similar to mine. Maybe allot of people are wrong? Who knows? :angel9:

crazyjarhead said:
Sweet find and silver :thumbsup: Too bad you couldn't find the owner or family member. That would be worth a lot to someone ::)
I agree this deserves to stay in somebody's family lineage, but without initials or some ID, where in the world would I start with this? The origional owner has most likely passed on. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
jgs2 said:

I agree the insignias are similar. Here is some more wiki that may confirm the insignia could be US Army Air Service (1918-1926), the precursor to the US Army Air Corps (1926-1941). After viewing numerous rings online, all rings I have seen claiming to be WWI era USAAS look nothing like mine while all claiming to be WWII era USAAC look very similar to mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Air_Service

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
It is DEFINATELY a WWII Army Air Corps Ring. My Dad served in WWII as a Bombardier/Navigator in the Southwest Pacific, and flew 47 combat missions. Here is a photo of him.

Keep and enjoy the ring, and remember their sacrifices for our country....GREAT FIND!
REB

Attachments

• R #5.jpg
    R #5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,772
  • R #5.jpg
    R #5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,694

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread