Got a CARTIER 14k pocket watch

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I wish I could post up a pic of the Cartier pocket watch but my computer seems to have trouble in that department...anyways its a hunter style with a 14k case...The thing is Im not 100% sure its a actual cartier...the case is 14k and the face says cartier and has black minute and hours hands...however its not marked Cartier on the movement..its marked "Invar" watever that means.. and has a serial number... took it to a watchmaker and said its real but then took it to a Jeweler and he says the movement isnt cartier... any input guys?

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Find!
I discovered that Cartier purchased movements from 'European Watch & Clock Company'.
I see some with Cartier stamped on the movement, but not all.
'Invar' is an alloy that made the movement less sensitive to temperature change,
invented in 1896.
love to see some pix!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could still be Cartier as Invar only relates to the alloy used.

1900–1920 Better materials

During the 20th century, the mechanical design of the watch became standardized, and advances were made in better materials, tighter tolerances, and improved production methods. The bimetallic temperature compensated balance wheel was made obsolete by the discovery of low temperature coefficient alloys invar and elinvar. A balance wheel of invar with a spring of elinvar was almost unaffected by temperature changes, so it replaced the complicated temperature compensated balance. The discovery in 1903 of a process to produce artificial sapphire made jewelling cheap. Bridge construction superseded 3/4 plate construction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch

OP
OP
blai745

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh...So thats Invar.. Ill try to get some pics up later in the week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread