Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My goal today was to find a Blowhole button in my collection. Out of the hundreds of buttons I have recovered over the last 3 years, I knew I had excavated one of these. As of 10 a.m., I officially did not have a recollection of digging one, but I was determined to scour my collection to prove myself wrong. After about 10 minutes, I finally found what I was looking for. :icon_thumleft: There was still dirt in the blowholes, so that is why I had missed it earlier. I was thrilled nonetheless. I had to add it to my "18th Century Display." :hello2: I also found a few more Colonial buttons that I added to the display and a pair of octagonal cufflinks. This is what makes the winter months totally worth it. :headbang:

Post your Blowhole buttons on this thread! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :wave:

Attachments

• DSCF4400.JPG
    DSCF4400.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,787
Upvote 1

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Attachments

• ebay 246.jpg
    ebay 246.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 1,003
OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I personally think the vast majority of blowhole (vent back) buttons we find are more like early to mid 1700s, yes they first appeared past 1675 or so but based on the ones I have found over the years, most of my sites at the earliest would be 1730 or so, with most being Rev War era and later. Not to say one could have had the buttons/clothing for many years before settling here, but in general I think they are of that era.

I went through my button boxes, where I did not have that type seperated and this is all I could find, some with just the back shell, I know I have others but heavens knows what nock or cranny I have them stored at.

This photo is from a very isolated site that shows a good representation of what was found along with the blowhole button, I estimate the site to have been occupied only for a short time (less than a generation) and most likely from 1730 till perhaps 1760s. I believe this sawmill was abandoned about then and bigger one built on a nearby stream, thus closing this one down.

Don

Thank you for the presentation, Don. You do have a lot of these buttons and should be proud to say that you have hunted the earliest sites that SJ can offer. We found three Blowhole buttons last year as a group. I believe Kyle got two from the productive Colonial site in March.

Since I have learned more about them, I could dig these buttons all day long. :headbang:

Kirk :wave:

RELICDUDE07 said:
My best guess is French made.I only say that because some of the things found at the site & in my area French period (1719-1722)‎. Maybe i'm wrong if crusader finds them a lot -but the English & spanish had different ways of casting buttons in this time....

Thank you for sharing the Blowhole buttons that you excavated in West Florida. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was not familiar with these buttons. Thanks to CC for bringing these to my attention.

Being an ex-A/C repairman and plumber, I can verify that you cannot solder a pipe without an exit for the expanding gases.
If you dont vent the pipe somewhere, it will blow the solder out of the seam.
Thus the need for blow holes.

I know most shanks are soldered but are modern 2 piece buttons pressed together?
Is it done after the shank is soldered?

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a fourth one somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

blowholebuttons.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of mine.

Attachments

• Blow Hole buttons.jpg
    Blow Hole buttons.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 629

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one in my junk box, in great shape... :o What is the value on one of these buttons? If I did not live paycheck to paycheck I would not have asked... Keep @ it and HH !! :D

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are most of my blowhole buttons, solder seem buttons and my treasured nipple button collection.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
will flip and take a pic when I get home. All are missing shank. Some iron can be seen left on some.

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
vent button 1.jpg vent hole button 2.jpg Great educational post! lucky enough to find a couple over the years, as mentioned, really thought that honker on the left was something else when spied in the hole! Noticed that 2 on the left have a a curious extra "blowhole" in the front?? with one id dismiss, two seems intentional.

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
OH yea, Ive heard more than one digger refer to them as " Napoleon" buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread