Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    68 times
    Relic Hunting

Blowhole Buttons Only.....

My goal today was to find a Blowhole button in my collection. Out of the hundreds of buttons I have recovered over the last 3 years, I knew I had excavated one of these. As of 10 a.m., I officially did not have a recollection of digging one, but I was determined to scour my collection to prove myself wrong. After about 10 minutes, I finally found what I was looking for. There was still dirt in the blowholes, so that is why I had missed it earlier. I was thrilled nonetheless. I had to add it to my "18th Century Display." I also found a few more Colonial buttons that I added to the display and a pair of octagonal cufflinks. This is what makes the winter months totally worth it.

Post your Blowhole buttons on this thread!

Kirk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4400.JPG 
Views:	829 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	490448  
    Keep the passion high!

Re: Blowhole Buttons Only.....

I know I've found a few but don't think they're in my cases.

us
    Cellar Dweller

Dec 2010
    Rhode Island
    T2 SPECIAL EDITION
    613 times
    History Hunter
    Banner Finds (1)

What exactly is a blowhole button
    I see yours and understand,but did they have a specific purpose?
    John
    History hunting,once you get hooked to this lifestyle,that lure of treasure......Its an adrenaline rush just talking about it..

us
    Aug 2004
    Timbuktu
    Magnet on a Stick
    443 times

The two-piece "vent hole" buttons are very early! These buttons predate the more common "flat buttons" prevalent on later 18th to mid-19th century sites. The two holes allowed the gas and heat to escape, while the face of the button was soldered around the rim, fastening the two pieces together. The vent hole buttons will date from the 1750's, and into the earlier 1700's.

Where vent hole buttons are found, Spanish cobs, coppers from William and George I & II, small cast shoe buckles, and other early finds often follow!

I've found them on early sites that never produced one single flat button.

CC Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by CC Hunter
    The two-piece "vent hole" buttons are very early! These buttons predate the more common "flat buttons" prevalent on later 18th to mid-19th century sites. The two holes allowed the gas and heat to escape, while the face of the button was soldered around the rim, fastening the two pieces together. The vent hole buttons will date from the 1750's, and into the earlier 1700's.

Where vent hole buttons are found, Spanish cobs, coppers from William and George I & II, small cast shoe buckles, and other early finds often follow!

I've found them on early sites that never produced one single flat button.

CC Hunter

That's what I told Kirk through private message. Any place we've found them we didn't pay too much attention because there was much better stuff coming out. The only sites I recall finding them is at our early French ones, the same sites all my cobs came from. Blowhole buttons are a great sign you could be close to a great find.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266, Fisher 1270, Whites TDI, Garrett AT Gold
    977 times
    Banner Finds (2)

THAR SHE BLOWS!! I thought I had a picture of some blow hole buttons but I can't find it. I usually find them on 1750s French & Indian War sites. I think some of the provincial uniforms were outfitted with them.

I know I have a bunch but I never paid much attention to them. Found this one in October.

Name:	blowhole.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	490547  
    If the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor!

us
    Cellar Dweller

Dec 2010
    Rhode Island
    T2 SPECIAL EDITION
    613 times
    History Hunter
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome i did have 1 from my favorite site of 2010..I thought this was more modern than all my other buttons...
    I found this 1 the last time i went there..
    Ya learn something new every day...
    John

Name:	blowhole button 001.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	490551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blowhole button 002.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	490552  
    History hunting,once you get hooked to this lifestyle,that lure of treasure......Its an adrenaline rush just talking about it..

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblaze

When you listen.

us
    Cellar Dweller

Dec 2010
    Rhode Island
    T2 SPECIAL EDITION
    613 times
    History Hunter
    Banner Finds (1)

I cant stop looking at this button now

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    68 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
    Awesome i did have 1 from my favorite site of 2010..I thought this was more modern than all my other buttons...
    I found this 1 the last time i went there..
    John
    That is a nice one, Blaze. I was wondering if you had found one at that site.

Kirk
    Keep the passion high!

us
    Aug 2004
    Timbuktu
    Magnet on a Stick
    443 times

The early 18th century two-piece solder seam buttons, are also found without the vent holes. As I recall, the vent hole buttons are nearly always found with a plain face. However, I have found the very early two piece buttons with geometric type designs, with the solder seam edge, and no vent holes. Apparently, the solder work on these did not provide a very secure seam, as this style is usually found with the front face separated from the button back. The vent hole design may possibly be an improvement over this style, so as to provide a better solder seam.

The very early solder seam buttons without vent holes, are rarely recognized as being some of the earliest Colonial button styles found in North America. The separated domed face portions, separated backs with wire shanks, as well as complete examples, are often thought to be later Victorian pieces. This is far from the fact, as these buttons are actually 150 years earlier.

Whenever I have been fortunate to find and identify these pieces of history, coins from the late 1600's were often close by!

CC Hunter

us
    Cellar Dweller

Dec 2010
    Rhode Island
    T2 SPECIAL EDITION
    613 times
    History Hunter
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by CC Hunter
    The early 18th century two-piece solder seam buttons, are also found without the vent holes. As I recall, the vent hole buttons are nearly always found with a plain face. However, I have found the very early two piece buttons with geometric type designs, with the solder seam edge, and no vent holes. Apparently, the solder work on these did not provide a very secure seam, as this style is usually found with the front face separated from the button back. The vent hole design may possibly be an improvement over this style, so as to provide a better solder seam.

The very early solder seam buttons without vent holes, are rarely recognized as being some of the earliest Colonial button styles found in North America. The separated domed face portions, separated backs with wire shanks, as well as complete examples, are often thought to be later Victorian pieces. This is far from the fact, as these buttons are actually 150 years earlier.

Whenever I have been fortunate to find and identify these pieces of history, coins from the late 1600's were often close by!

CC Hunter

Hey thanks CC Hunter...You seem like a pretty smart fella...With only 40 something posts since 04 we would like to hear your thoughts more often on colonial items
    Blaze...

us
    Dec 2008
    Claremont, NC

I found this one at a plantation in VA that was active as far back as 1759. The owner died in 1783. I also found a 1780 reale not far from this button. I think that puts it in the right time frame. The face is plain. I was SURE I had a big ol' Confederate button when I saw this in the hole....

Name:	image0023.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	490665  
    "Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God the Father, means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us." James 1:27

us
    Cellar Dweller

Dec 2010
    Rhode Island
    T2 SPECIAL EDITION
    613 times
    History Hunter
    Banner Finds (1)

Now that im looking at my finds.I do have just some front face parts of these buttons that cc hunter
    was talking about...Its pretty hard to identify finds from the 1600's..Or even find them..Or maybe i have i just dont know it..Are all flat buttons from the 18th century

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors