Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I probably consider this my best group of finds ever, and it will be impossible to top. Initially found a scattered cache of hammered silver coins from 1563 to 1640 in a field near a very early homesite here in SE Virginia 2 years ago. In a later hunt I dug 8 more from the a single hole about 150 ft from where the first ones were found. And a few random ones turned up later for a total of 23. These included sixpences, shillings and 2 huge half crowns. I'm getting ready to return to this site armed with a GPX-4000 a buddy of mine lent me, and hopefully a few more will show up. Maybe even a hammered gold. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• hammered69.jpg
    hammered69.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,226
  • IMG_0388c.JPG
    IMG_0388c.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,226
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, Just an amazing bunch of coins used in our country before it was our country.....
Can't wait until you get across the creek, and find out where that slave hid the coins he found......
you will have an article to write, then.
(I was stationed at Ft. Lee, VA back in the 1980s. Had a machine, and enjoyed the hunts I went on there. Found
some good stuff, but nothing like what you have there.....and I was only in VA for a little over a year and a half.)
Keep us posted.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread