If you could know all about a best find - Which would it be?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could pick one find you've dug to know everything about it, which one would it be? Say it was a 2 hour movie... from the time it was made, everywhere it went and who owned it up until being lost, then you digging it up at the end. (yeah it's Winter)

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
IP, if you need to talk mate....you know where I am :laughing7:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Attachments

• spirella 004.JPG
    spirella 004.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 842
  • spirella 004.JPG
    spirella 004.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 852
  • spirella 002.JPG
    spirella 002.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 850

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an easy one for me...I know who made it, I know when it was made but I would love to know who exactly used it and for what.

BTW...it's a silver whistle. The shield gives me hope that it may have had a military application...

Attachments

• Whistle.JPG
    Whistle.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 837
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
This is an easy one for me...I know who made it, I know when it was made but I would love to know who exactly used it and for what.

BTW...it's a silver whistle. The shield gives me hope that it may have had a military application...

Funny because the one I decided on is from the same site! What are the chances of that considering how many places we have both hunted and the thousands of targets dug.

Masonic ring. I know who owned it, where he was born, where he moved, and where he ended up. I also know roughly about the decade it was lost.. but would love to know everything in between about him and the ring.

Attachments

• sr2.jpg
    sr2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 829
  • sr2.jpg
    sr2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 830

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's probably a pretty good chance that these two relics were in very close proximity at their time of usage...

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
There's probably a pretty good chance that these two relics were in very close proximity at their time of usage...

All that separated them was the "Rosa Hill", the rest we'll never know.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My pick was quite simple and would have to be the 18th century copper pipe that I excavated in October. From the country tavern to the settler's own home, it would tell a story that only the rough-at-heart could handle. :laughing7: I know two things about the owner of this pipe.

1.) When he quarreled, he won. :boxing:
2.) He did not wear no girly ring. :-X :wink: :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing7:

Kirk :wave:

Attachments

• DSCF4164.JPG
    DSCF4164.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 755
  • DSCF4164.JPG
    DSCF4164.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 748

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to know the story behind this. Especially who owned it. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 729

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that this one was charred from a church fire that happened about 1899.
Had to clean the crap out of it, it looked like a piece of iron when I dug it up.

Attachments

• Morgan.JPG
    Morgan.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 724
  • Morgan.JPG
    Morgan.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 725

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
My choice is a Blacksmith Token. I think it would be interesting to see how this "coin" came to life and ended up in Vermont for me to find.

Cool thread :headbang: VPR

Attachments

• IMG_9777_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9777_1_1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_9779_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9779_1_1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_9777_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9777_1_1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_9779_1_1.JPG
    IMG_9779_1_1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 720

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to meet and talk to everyone who touched this Phoneix button. Made in England for the Haitian military in the early 19th century. They were never delivered because the Haitian king was over thrown. Evidently the entire shipment was sold to and shiped to an oregon trading post and shipped via the Hawaian Islands and then around cape horn then back up north to the oregon coast. There they were used to trade with the natives and the spainish missioneries along the west coast from southern california to Alaska . Very few have been found east of the mississippi river . This small cuff button intended for regiment # 5 . Was found in Orrington, Maine. In the spring of 2010. The site is where they used to build schooners back in it's hey day ! M.R.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 635

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
African American Soldier from the 55th Massachusetts Volunteers......need I say more?
REB

Attachments

• 55th Massachusetts.jpg
    55th Massachusetts.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 630
  • 55th Massachusetts.jpg
    55th Massachusetts.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 624

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
If you could pick one find you've dug to know everything about it, which one would it be? Say it was a 2 hour movie... from the time it was made, everywhere it went and who owned it up until being lost, then you digging it up at the end. (yeah it's Winter)
I wonder who might have lost this copper, the date seems to relate to the war, who knows for sure. Brian C.

Attachments

• PB160100.JPG
    PB160100.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 626
  • PB160102.JPG
    PB160102.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 625

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kirk PA said:
My pick was quite simple and would have to be the 18th century copper pipe that I excavated in October. From the country tavern to the settler's own home, it would tell a story that only the rough-at-heart could handle. :laughing7: I know two things about the owner of this pipe.

1.) When he quarreled, he won. :boxing:
2.) He did not wear no girly ring. :-X :wink: :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing7:

Kirk :wave:
Nice early copper pipe.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian C. said:
Iron Patch said:
I wonder who might have lost this copper, the date seems to relate to the war, who knows for sure. Brian C.

Actually... Tiffin tokens date to the 1830s and were made with old dies for the purpose of evading laws to get them into the country.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Brian C. said:
Iron Patch said:

Actually... Tiffin tokens date to the 1830s and were made with old dies for the purpose of evading laws to get them into the country.
Sneaky little buggers. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian C. said:
Iron Patch said:
Brian C. said:
Iron Patch said:

Sneaky little buggers. :icon_pirat:

Yes they were but the banks caught on and wouldn't accept them as currency, just the value of the metal.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about a 'best' find but my most curious came some 30 years ago when I found the remains of an old revolver buried on the site of a long gone barn hard fast on the banks of a long defunct canal. No picture of the revolver was ever made and the relic itself got pitched out with other junk some 10 years ago, but I often wondered why that gun was buried in the dirt floor of that old barn. I figured the barn was used as a collection point for items to be shipped on the canal and as such it's a fair to middlin bet a canal worker hid the gun there. I often wondered if he didn't use the weapon along the canal line somewhere and hid it where I found it.

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Without being too redundant (I just posted this item in another Ironpatch thread). This is probably the one item I'd like most to "see" it's history.
Coin was found in Maine, near the coast, in a small orchard, beside a 1790's home.

I can imagine a sailor, working this coin, while at sea, in anticipation of seeing his women upon his return. In it's present condition, I assume it didn't spend long as a "coin". How was it lost? Did the lady it was made for simply loose it while picking fruit? Or, did she throw it down while fighting with her man in the orchard? How long did she wear it before it was lost? My movie might be a very short film......

Attachments

• 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 507
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 503
  • 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 508
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG