MVC-009F.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,120
Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The buckle is not a reproduction, nor is there any sound reasoning to attribute it as such. Shall we assume these theories are mere guesses rather than informative identifications?

Actually the buckle dates after the American Civil War as evidenced by the outline of a wide tongue bar attachment that is now missing. This style dates late 19th century with I believe some possible carryover into the early 1900's. The die-work error in letter placement is interesting.

CC Hunter

S

stefen

CC Hunter said:
The buckle is not a reproduction, nor is there any sound reasoning to attribute it as such. Shall we assume these theories are mere guesses rather than informative identifications?

Actually the buckle dates after the American Civil War as evidenced by the outline of a wide tongue bar attachment that is now missing. This style dates late 19th century with I believe some possible carryover into the early 1900's. The die-work error in letter placement is interesting.

CC Hunter

Great comment...anytime someone makes a statement as to the authenticity of an item, they should provide a backup to support the statement.

nuggetnoggin

Jul 8, 2010
somewhere in NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Fisher F70, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
I found this at a depth of 15" and believe it to be old. The question is there is a E in place of a B in E Pluribus Unum. Is this a Civil War buckle or is it post war? Any input would be appreciated.
by the first glance i knew it was fake

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The buckle appears to be a variant of the Regulation 1874 Pattern Officer's Plate.

Pages 542 through 547 of American Military Belt Plates by O'Donnell and Campbell, show similar styles and examples, though not the exact match for the one we see here. The Regulation 1874 Pattern was in use, with slight changes and variations, through the 20th Century World Wars.

I see nothing that points to or yells out "Fake" here. Granted, there are literally tons of fake military items flooding the market place. However, the design details, attachment devices (or broken evidence in this case), patina, source, and other factors here all seem to support a legitimate military buckle find. Furthermore, this style of buckle is neither very rare nor highly valuable (which leads to the question: "Why produce a fake copy?").

Some of the rarer state militia and original Confederate issue buckles and plates are indeed well into the four figure range, consequently providing an attractive venue for copiers and fraudulent fakers. A Post American Civil War belt plate that would barely break the three figures on a good day though, is far from a likely candidate for a fake copy.

CC Hunter

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggetnoggin said:
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
I found this at a depth of 15" and believe it to be old. The question is there is a E in place of a B in E Pluribus Unum. Is this a Civil War buckle or is it post war? Any input would be appreciated.

Fortunately for the finder you really don't know anything about this piece.

OP
OP
DiggerDave in Pa.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
romeo-1 said:
nuggetnoggin said:
DiggerDave in Pa. said:

Fortunately for the finder you really don't know anything about this piece.
Thanks CC Hunter. I figured someone would know what this is and when it was produced. I know more about it now than I did before. I was happy to dig this piece and glad to learn more about it. DK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread