Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I found this ring on a 300 yr. old estate. I was walking between a lane of large oak trees, I found a crotal bell at 1 in. and was excited since it was my first... I walked about another 2 ft. and got a dime signal 3in. down I dug and found a 1773 spanish 1/2 reale, as I stood up I went back over the hole with my detector and it bounced back between button and quarter at 6in. depth in the same whole, I started to dig and hit 2 large tree roots I dug under the root and out popped the ring 3in. lower in the same whole than the reale, it was very encrusted with dirt and at first I thought it was a button but the dirt came off easy and I saw it was a gold ring I turned it around and there was sunlight going through the trees and when it hit the emeralds they just shined I also found a royal Spanish seal nearby.
I took it to 2 jewelers, the first said it couldnt be old because the emeralds were fake, but they were the best fakes he's ever seen. about 2 days later he called me back and offered me $100.00 for the ring because he wanted to show his apprentices a good quality fake.
The second said it was real and old and very rare because of the marque cut emeralds he said the marking on it was a hallmark and he could tell me the makers name that they didnt use karats when it was made, but thats all the info I got he wanted me to pay $500.00 to give me an official appraisal and info. I dont have that type of money laying around so I never did it, I was cleaning my stuff and I figured I'd show it here.

I took it to an antique jewelry dealer today, at first he looked disinterested in the ring.. he then looked at it under a microscope for about 10 min. it was driving me nuts lol lol, he then did 2 tests on it with some chemicals he was very scientific about it... after about 20 min... he walks over to us and says "I hope you have a safety deposit box, what you have here is real spanish treasure". and he told me the emeralds were real and of very high quality and color and it has 56 facets.. he then pulled out a book and tracked down the hallmark it was made in spain between 1760-1795, then he gave me this info, The 18th Century was a period of great change for the manufacturers of jewelry, for at the turn of the century, a Venetian Lapidary named Vincenzo Peruzzi invented the 56 faceted brilliant cut for stones which is still used today. It replaced the duller 16 faceted Mazarin cut of the previous century and launched diamonds to the forefront of jewelry design for the next 100 years. Metal work receded into the background almost completely and metals were used exclusively as inconspicuous back settings for diamonds, emeralds, rubies, and sapphires.

The amount they charge for a written appraisal is astronomical!! I have no intention of selling it, needless to say we went and bought a safe today and my kids are already fighting over who's gonna inherit it. lol lol hh all jd

the pics are of the ring and the royal spansh seal....

Now is it 100% I personally cant say... I was told it was fake and I was told it was old... I want to beleive it is old and real spanish treasure!!

Attachments

• p978438.jpg
    p978438.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11,109
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 10,969
Upvote 1

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hartmanchr said:
That is awesome. I dream of this type of stuff. I mean just the fact that your touching an item that hasn't been exposed in so long. It's like an instant connection to the past. who wore that ring? what story does it have to tell? My wife thinks I'm a dork for enjoying the hobby of metal detecting. For me it's more than a hobby and I haven't even found anything as interesting as these item's you've found. It's a dream! We are all time travelers and the metal detector is a time machine that takes us to distant places. What a great find----Congrats, I am jealous ;D

Damn dude you put that so well....Everytime I make a find, no matter what, I think who lost this, and why.......Time machine, yes, yes you are so right......

BTW awesome find...congrats.Tom

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the continued interest everyone... just to make sure the ring was not found in Missouri, its was found far away from Missouri hehehe...hh all jd

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez said:
Bavaria Mike said:
Great finds JD and congrats! I looked at the pic before I read the write up and thought it resembled a Spanish ring similar to rings found from the 1715 fleets. HH, Mike

Mike,
Can you send me the link to those photos of the 1715 Fleet rings that look similar to JD's ring please......
The reason I am asking...is that I have never seen a ring from the Fleet look anything like this...anything like it, not even close.
My problem is with the setting and the historical time period...I didn't think prongs (that style) were in use back then.
Either in Spain......England.........France.........Dutch.....the time period has me baffled.
Can someone help clarify this........that prongs as this style were in use at the historical time period mentioned.

Trez

I have seen for sure the same style....not necessarily the same design

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Your last treasure seems to me to be an earring.

N. Drake

May 1, 2012
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, not to pry pal, but for my own research into a treasure I'm looking into: did you find that ring and seal anywhere close to Springfield? I appreciate the help bud.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, not to pry pal, but for my own research into a treasure I'm looking into: did you find that ring and seal anywhere close to Springfield? I appreciate the help bud.

This thread is 7 years old! The last post was 5 years ago. Why not just send a PM to the thread starter?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations
wow2.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread