Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I found this ring on a 300 yr. old estate. I was walking between a lane of large oak trees, I found a crotal bell at 1 in. and was excited since it was my first... I walked about another 2 ft. and got a dime signal 3in. down I dug and found a 1773 spanish 1/2 reale, as I stood up I went back over the hole with my detector and it bounced back between button and quarter at 6in. depth in the same whole, I started to dig and hit 2 large tree roots I dug under the root and out popped the ring 3in. lower in the same whole than the reale, it was very encrusted with dirt and at first I thought it was a button but the dirt came off easy and I saw it was a gold ring I turned it around and there was sunlight going through the trees and when it hit the emeralds they just shined I also found a royal Spanish seal nearby.
I took it to 2 jewelers, the first said it couldnt be old because the emeralds were fake, but they were the best fakes he's ever seen. about 2 days later he called me back and offered me $100.00 for the ring because he wanted to show his apprentices a good quality fake.
The second said it was real and old and very rare because of the marque cut emeralds he said the marking on it was a hallmark and he could tell me the makers name that they didnt use karats when it was made, but thats all the info I got he wanted me to pay $500.00 to give me an official appraisal and info. I dont have that type of money laying around so I never did it, I was cleaning my stuff and I figured I'd show it here.

I took it to an antique jewelry dealer today, at first he looked disinterested in the ring.. he then looked at it under a microscope for about 10 min. it was driving me nuts lol lol, he then did 2 tests on it with some chemicals he was very scientific about it... after about 20 min... he walks over to us and says "I hope you have a safety deposit box, what you have here is real spanish treasure". and he told me the emeralds were real and of very high quality and color and it has 56 facets.. he then pulled out a book and tracked down the hallmark it was made in spain between 1760-1795, then he gave me this info, The 18th Century was a period of great change for the manufacturers of jewelry, for at the turn of the century, a Venetian Lapidary named Vincenzo Peruzzi invented the 56 faceted brilliant cut for stones which is still used today. It replaced the duller 16 faceted Mazarin cut of the previous century and launched diamonds to the forefront of jewelry design for the next 100 years. Metal work receded into the background almost completely and metals were used exclusively as inconspicuous back settings for diamonds, emeralds, rubies, and sapphires.

The amount they charge for a written appraisal is astronomical!! I have no intention of selling it, needless to say we went and bought a safe today and my kids are already fighting over who's gonna inherit it. lol lol hh all jd

the pics are of the ring and the royal spansh seal....

Now is it 100% I personally cant say... I was told it was fake and I was told it was old... I want to beleive it is old and real spanish treasure!!

Attachments

• p978438.jpg
    p978438.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11,109
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 10,969
Upvote 1

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Re: Real Spanish Treasure Found!!!

That's a real beauty J.D.

The history behind that ring and you being the first one to touch it is priceless.

It will be a nice peice to pass on one day.

HH Jer

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD, Congratulations what a great find! I for one would like to give that first jeweler that gave you a bogus appraisal all of the negative publicity that I could. I have no patience with crooks. I got taken several times by a local dealer in the seventies. I was young and naive. I always enjoy your post as I am in Spfld Mo....Steve

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Jason I just visited the site, I'm gonna send them the pics and info!!

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
J.D. congratulations, great finding

Bulgarian, great avatar.....LOL....LOL.....LOL....LOL......

Chagy.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find J.D.

Finding the Unexpected is Always Fun.

Congrats !
Jeff

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
as Wayne and Garth might say,
"we're not worthy"
This is really incledible JD,
thanks for sharing this inspirational find.

Smiles!
BDoo

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Wow! You keep making such fantastic finds and I think you can never top them. But you keep doing it. Truly great finds and that ring is really something to be proud of. What's next, I cant wait to see.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
JD,

outstanding.

Bit of history.

Please keep us posted if you gain any more
information.

Again, very nice.

have a good un............

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
also, the proximity of these three finds,
and the age and apparent history of them
sure makes me think about the day they were lost...
what happened that day, was there a violent incident?
I find this very interesting for sure, just to wonder about
the possibilities of what did happen to cause these to be lost
and also thinking about the former owners.
Definitely keep us updated about your research with this
and again congrats on an awesome find.

BDoo

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JD..........You're amazing with your incredible finds. Congratulations on both the ring and the coin. :o :o :o :o :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread