Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One of my best finds was an old pouch with a lock of hair, some unidentified newsclippngs, some dozen Civil War brass buttons that were marked "CSN" and made in England on the back sides, (Confederate States Navy) that I found here in South Florida. 8)I hid the pouch with contents in my house somewhere and have yet to find them. I am moving in 4 days. I dont even have pictures. :'( If I find them, I will post. So far no luck. They may be again lost...4 days to find. :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

Im sorry I have been working in the Everglades with no internet all week so I was not able to reply. My computer only works when it wants to and I need to leave town again tonite.

I dont know if this was my personal best find ever but it ranks up near the top. I once found some hand written war maps but thats another story. I want to thank everyone for their support and banner votes. I can understand that rules are rules but its very true (as ModernMiner stated) that I posted the pictures as soon as humanly possible. I posted the story on the very same day I found it. I had no pictures in 2006 because it was lost. :D I hadnt found it yet if that makes any sense.

Actually my sister found so any award should go to her. No, actually the dopehead found it first so maybe he should get the award. :wink: Like the title says it was lost, found, lost, found again.. etc lol.

The banner consists of some amazing finds for sure. It also highlights a common liver cure bottle and a modern Chinese tourist token. It makes you wonder who votes for these. :icon_scratch: I guess the process is not perfect.

Im not upset that this find will never be in the banner. I understand the situation. The original find is old and I have to support Jeffs decision. He does a tremendous job here.

I am a bit sad that it was moved so quickly from Todays Finds. It certainly was a todays find for me, no doubt about it. My only wish is that everyone will get to see it. Im sure if I hadnt PMed half of the members that it would never have been noticed here in Best Finds.

Thanks again for the kind words Breezie. I have been here since 2004 and have been asked many times over the years to join other forums but I have remained loyal to TN because I thought it could become something very special, and it has. Thank you for the recognition of my work in the What Is It forum Breezie. And special thanks to Modernminer. I am so happy you just happen to see this thread and post the appraisal of your banner button find.. Those CSN Navy buttons were manufactured during the war. Thanks also to Woodland Mike, Silver Searcher, CBG and everyone else that posted here for the recognition and support..

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a banner find in my book!!! :o I don't care when they were found, or what anyone says :tongue3:
Congrats big Cy :hello2:

stock-illustration-179751-ribbon-banner-graphic.jpg

*nominated

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GoodyGuy said:
That's a banner find in my book!!! :o I don't care when they were found, or what anyone says :tongue3:
Congrats big Cy :hello2:

*nominated
This thread keeps moving around. Thanks GoodyGuy. Thats good enough for me. :icon_thumright: Its amazing how much treasure/money is hidden and never found again, especially in todays economic situation where homes are lost and bankruptcy's are common. Im sure many people are hiding their cash and valuables. Attics are a good place to search. I have found at least 3 guns in attics after people moved away. I told my sister that I believed they were in Moms house somewhere and to please look in every attic box and clothes pocket.

Most of my treasure hunting days are in the past. Although it is terrific to be honored and recognized by your peers, someone shouldnt feel a lesser member of TN if they have no awards. I dont feel that way. (edited) Im just glad to finally find this long lost treasure pouch, although some buttons are still missing, and get to take some pictures to share with the forum. 8)

An older thread: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,29094.0.html

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

TheCannonballGuy said:
BigCypressHunter, I just found your PM a few minutes ago, because I haven't logged on to TN since about Nov. 17th. I was getting ready to set up at the big Richmond civil war show, at it for 3 days, and then "recuperating" from it.
Thanks again CBG. BtW where is the best place to sell? Im including your other research here:

Albert button-book number:
VA7a1 - "nondug" 2-piece Virginia with sword raised, rmdc Scovills & Co., at relicman.com - one for $275, one with heavy gold gilt for $350

VA13A2 - "nondug" 2-piece Virginia with sword down, rmdc Canfield & Bro. backmark - not found, but civilwarbuttons.com has one with rmdc Scovill Mfg. Co. backmark for $300

CS117A - "nondug" CS Artillery ironbacked A, at civilwarbuttons.com - one for $750, one for $775 (note, neither has circles of dots as the backmark)

CS52A - "nondug" CS Navy CSN button, Firmin & Sons / Strand & Conduit St backmark, at relicman.com for $1,000 -- seems to me that he's got that one very cheaply priced.

By the way, a button's backmark often does affect its value, at least somewhat. For example, a SAME-FACE Virginia button with the Canfield rmdc backmark is scarcer than the same button with a depressed-mark Scovill Mfg. Co. button.

Again, congratulations!

TheCannonballGuy said:
About your questions:
The purse appears to be from the 2nd half of the 1800s. Could be close to 1850, and could be close to 1900.

It may have been used as a civil war soldier's "housewife" ...but the soldier would carry spare buttons for his uniform, which would be all the same kind of button, not an assortment of State Seal, Artillery, and US Navy buttons. I think it is a postwar collection owned by a Confederate civil war veteran, or perhaps one of his immediate descendants, such as a daughter. For example, a CW veteran's daughter could have lived long enough to have passed away in recent years, with the purse-&-buttons being discarded at that time by an un-interested heir of the daughter.

All I can say about the human hair saved in the purse it that I notice it shows a mix of blond-brown-ish and gray hairs, so it is probably from a person in his/her 50s or 60s. DNA-testing would at least tell you whether it is from a male or a female.
I was thinking along the same lines. I only reason I thought housewife because I found a very similar pouch pictured as such in a collectibles book but I havent been able to find it. It was suggested to me that a mother may have collected a button from each of her sons that served for both the Union and Confederacy. The buttons and lock of hair was her mourning pouch.

My theory is that the owner was in the Union Navy because at least 6 or 7 buttons were Union Navy, cuff size included. In my theory, he could have traded buttons at latter Civil War reunions. He moved to Lemon City after the war. It was tossed away after a descendant died or it was hidden in the attic and I found it when the old homestead by the RR tracks was demolished.

I wonder was it a common practice to trade buttons at a CW veterans reunion? :dontknow: I also think the small cut out paper is key to solving this. Unfortunately not much is left but I will put it before the What Is It forum when I get time to take magnified pics of both sides. It has some wording. I have seen amazing things done with less. I truly believe the paper clipping was from a newspaper listing of the soldiers killed in battle that day and that is why it was saved in this pouch with the lock of hair..

Attachments

• CW news clipping remnant.jpg
    CW news clipping remnant.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 908

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread