Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One of my best finds was an old pouch with a lock of hair, some unidentified newsclippngs, some dozen Civil War brass buttons that were marked "CSN" and made in England on the back sides, (Confederate States Navy) that I found here in South Florida. 8)I hid the pouch with contents in my house somewhere and have yet to find them. I am moving in 4 days. I dont even have pictures. :'( If I find them, I will post. So far no luck. They may be again lost...4 days to find. :(

Upvote 0

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Lost CSN keepsakes

Some nice finds there... sorry about the lost stuff though.... would love to know the story behind the lock of hair.... if only these things could talk.

God bless
Peter

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Big,

Sounds like some nice artifacts. Hope
you are able to recover them. Be a
shame if they are left behind.

If your anything like I am, they could
be lost for years in a box somewhere,
and suddenly they appear; hope the
items show up.

have a good un.......

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought you lost some Crosby, Stills and Nash keepsakes, which in itself would be tragic. Good luck finding them!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

romeo-1 said:
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought you lost some Crosby, Stills and Nash keepsakes, which in itself would be tragic. Good luck finding them!
;D ;D The tragic thing is when I first found the old leather pouch, I thought it was trash. I actually threw it away and kept one or two of the "made in somewhere England" buttons. Knowing nothing about Civil War artifacts, I did not know what CSN was until I saw it in a book. I then hauled azz back to the site and retrieved the pouch and contents with lock of hair. I could not find the newsclippings, blown away by the wind. :-[ :( That may have told a story. This happened in the late 70's.
I think I have hid them in the attic under the blown insulation. :P I will try searching the attic wth MD using disc. I hope to post pics. :)

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I hid them 5 yrs. ago after showing them to a boarder I was renting a room to in my house.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

gypsyheart said:
Did you find this before you moved? Just curious..............
No, sad to say, I did not find these brass buttons. :( >:( :'( :'(I believe I hid in attic. Too hot, too much itchy insulation, and too much copper wire inside conduit pipe to search with metal detector. I tried. Some day in future someone will find this nice collection and wonder how it got there. I think the CSN buttons are worth $2000 each. :(
Maybe it is hidden in a box that I moved. :-\ I hope. This isn't the first time I hid something so good that I cannot find it. :-[ Bad habit.
I would have liked to share pics. :(

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sorry you didn't find your treasure. The finds sound really cool though.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

SilverDreams said:
Sorry you didn't find your treasure. The finds sound really cool though.
My only hope now is that they will show up in a box that I have moved. They were beauty's...almost mint cond...several rare types.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Roadquest said:
bigc,

I just wondered if you ever found the pouch.

roadquest
nope.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Give me your old address.I will go check the attic for your buttons. :) :) LOL Good luck,I hope you find them.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

Happy Day for me today. I wanted to share one of my most unusual eyeball finds. Most of you know me from the What Is It Forum. I dont post here much but I was a coinshooter in the 70's and a trash picker way before it became fashionable. I dont know if this is the correct forum; I found this pouch back in the late 70's-early 80's but lost it for what I thought was forever. Heres the 2006 story: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39502.0.html
Good news my sister found it and returned it to me this week. ;D I found it in my mailbox. :D

I guess I should tell the story here from the beginning. I eyeballed this old pouch in a Lemon City trash pile after several shacks were bulldozed. Lemon City being an old rundown section of Miami now called Little Haiti. It was Miami's first settlement. Some dope head found it before I did and tossed it back on the ground. I noticed a few brass buttons inside that were made in London, a lock of hair and a small paper clipping that blew away in the breeze. I have found some good trash items but I didnt think this was one of them and I tossed it back on the ground. :-[

Lemon City.jpg

A day or so later I was reading an article about the Civil War. It said how soldiers would carry a sewing pouch called a "housewife." It also mentioned carrying a lock of hair from a loved one or leaving a lock of hair behind. :icon_scratch: The next page showed a Confederate Navy button made in London. Thats when it sunk in. :o Those brass buttons I tossed away were Civil War!

I rushed back to the Lemon City bulldozed trash pile. The old ratty looking pouch was right there on the ground were I tossed it with several buttons still inside. I frantically searched the trash pile looking for buttons. I lifted 2x4's and rusted tin roof sheets. I found about a dozen buttons in all, I cant recall. The lock of hair was still tucked inside the secret center compartment of the pouch. Unfortunately I could not find the tiny paper clipping and I searched for hours. The wind just blew it away. :( Note that a tiny piece remains. I wish I knew what it said. It appears to list a few states on one side and a foreign language on the other.

The CSN button is almost mint. They are all in undug condition. The A Confederate Artillery button is cool. Its a southern made tin back.

Besides the lock of hair, the CSN Navy and Confederate Artillery, the pouch contained 2 nice Virginia buttons and about 6 Union Navy buttons which I gave most of them away in the 80's. I am wondering if this was someones collection that passed away. :dontknow: Could the pouch be a soldiers housewife thats as old as the buttons? Maybe it was hidden inside the wall of the old Lemon City house that was demolished? Nothing else but wood and rubble could be found. Anybody know the value?

Attachments

• CW pouch with buttons found Lemon City trash.jpg
    CW pouch with buttons found Lemon City trash.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,592
  • CW sewing kit  housewife.jpg
    CW sewing kit housewife.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,623
  • CW pouch & buttons found Lemon City 2.jpg
    CW pouch & buttons found Lemon City 2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • CW pouch, button back, lock of hair & paper.jpg
    CW pouch, button back, lock of hair & paper.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,628
  • CW Confederate buttons found.jpg
    CW Confederate buttons found.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,659
  • CW Confederate buttons found backs.jpg
    CW Confederate buttons found backs.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,699
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again

I don't know a lot but I'm betting there's some value to those CS buttons... :dontknow:

F

Felinepeachy

That is AWESOME!!!! Who knows how it got there but it doesn't matter, you were able to save a bit of history. That is so COOL!! :notworthy: :hello2:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow they are amazing!! nice find!!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Felinepeachy said:
That is AWESOME!!!! Who knows how it got there but it doesn't matter, you were able to save a bit of history. That is so COOL!! :notworthy: :hello2:
cntrydncr1 said:
wow they are amazing!! nice find!!
Thanks. I thought it was an interesting find. Thank God I found them again.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

romeo-1 said:
I don't know a lot but I'm betting there's some value to those CS buttons... :dontknow:
Im thinking at least 2 thousand for the buttons but Im not certain. I would like to tie the whole thing together. Im upset I lost the news clipping. Someones collection?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread