TOKEN COLLECTION (lots of annoying, download-time consuming, but cool photos)

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd warn everyone in advance that these photos will be large, only way to show clearly some of the smaller tokens.
Nothing much going on out here in Denver, between the weather and the economy, it's hard to find any new construction sites that we can get permission to hunt in.
So I decided to start organizing all my token finds. Originally, I started doing so to track down a few "mavericks" that I knew had to be from Denver. It then mushroomed into scanning old business directories, viewing photos from the Denver Library, anything that would help to track down certain various business establishments. Then I figured, hey, let's just scan everything, make a list of all found tokens, than start plotting the known addresses of the tokens onto Streets and Trips.
I've had a lot of free time on my hands recently.
So here ya go.
Enjoy.
Carl

(Just shrank them down a little, hope it helps)

Attachments

• TOKENS FRONTsmall.jpg
    TOKENS FRONTsmall.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 690
  • TOKENS REVERSEsmall.jpg
    TOKENS REVERSEsmall.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 689
  • TOKENS FRONTsmall.jpg
    TOKENS FRONTsmall.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 639
  • TOKENS REVERSEsmall.jpg
    TOKENS REVERSEsmall.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 650
  • TOKENS FRONT#2small.jpg
    TOKENS FRONT#2small.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 683
  • TOKENS REVERSE #4small.jpg
    TOKENS REVERSE #4small.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 629
  • TOKENS FRONT#4small.jpg
    TOKENS FRONT#4small.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 636
  • TOKENS REVERSE #3small.jpg
    TOKENS REVERSE #3small.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 663
  • TOKENS FRONT#3small.jpg
    TOKENS FRONT#3small.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 651
  • TOKENS REVERSE #2small.jpg
    TOKENS REVERSE #2small.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, Carl! This is going to take some serious looking to absorb it all. Denver dirt is hard on tokens!
John in ID

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Wow, Carl! This is going to take some serious looking to absorb it all. Denver dirt is hard on tokens!
John in ID

Tell me about it. It almost eats aluminum, and copper tends to almost sweat out it's metallic content.
I've yet to dig any tokens from Idaho, you guys have some nice ones.
Carl

kurt-ks

Apr 13, 2010
south central Kansas
Detector(s) used
E-Trac,F75ltd,Explorer Se,G2
VERY impressive collection!!I noticed you have a Brunswick token,I found a Brunswick token at a 1880's site and was hoping you could help me ID the age of it or tell me a little about it?Great collection :icon_thumright: HH
here is a picture of it,front and back

Attachments

• brunswick token.jpg
    brunswick token.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 626
  • mhj token.jpg
    mhj token.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 601

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Kurt--Your Brunswick token dates 1874-1884. The reverse is type BB-7a, however finding out who used it will require some directory research as there are a lot of people who lived during that timeframe with those initials. Figuring out which is the one with the billiard hall/saloon is the trick. You might start at the library or historical society nearest where you found it.

John in ID

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Carl--Your Broughton & Medlin Brunswick token is shown on tokencatalog.com as Walkerville, MT. Saloon in an 1892 Bradstreet directory. Please post photos of that one on the site if you can. Thanks!
John in ID

kurt-ks

Apr 13, 2010
south central Kansas
Detector(s) used
E-Trac,F75ltd,Explorer Se,G2
Thanks John,that is great news on the age!Will have to do some research on the name,there was two pool halls there but neither owner had those initials,could have been from anywhere I guess.Thanks again-Kurt

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Carl--Your Broughton & Medlin Brunswick token is shown on tokencatalog.com as Walkerville, MT. Saloon in an 1892 Bradstreet directory. Please post photos of that one on the site if you can. Thanks!
John in ID

Thanks for the info, I think that might be my only MT. token.
I plan to start posting scans on Richards Token Base very soon. I made the scans so large so I could chop them up individually for further reference material. The original scans are about 40 megs each, so the quality is a lot better than what's shown here.

U

umrgolf

Good Lord Carl.. That's crazy, I knew you've dug some tokens but daaaang :o :o :headbang:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:

Most of the one's I find Carl are far worse than that, you seem to find a lot....nice :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:icon_thumright:

Most of the one's I find Carl are far worse than that, you seem to find a lot....nice :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks, all.
Just stayed up till the wee hours tracking down one of the "mavericks", the J.P. Golden, Good For 5 Cents at Bar.
(First photo, bottom row, third from left)
I knew it had to be from Denver, and luckily many city directories can be found online for Colorado.
Tracked him down, he had a saloon on Market Street, (originally called Holladay), from 1881-1890.
1890 is the only listing as John P. Golden, rest were just J. Golden, or John Golden.
Now it's on to the token next to the J.P., the one that's stamped "OF.F.C."
I'm thinking that means Office, F.C., but any help would be appreciated.
Now I realize just how much work and effort Stuart Pritchard had to do to complete his Colorado Token Guide.
Carl

Attachments

• J.P.jpg
    J.P.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 1890 J.P.Golden.JPG
    1890 J.P.Golden.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 537

Solartje

Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dear CurbdiggerCarl57,

Very nice collection of token you dug.
This is my first post, so i guess some introduction is needed.

I'm 34 and from belgium, I'm a poolplayer and a collector of pre 1900 brunswick items, and i've started collecting brunswick tokens 5 years ago,
with a preference for The J.M. Brunswick Balke collender tokens, right after Brunswick , Balke and Collender merged, because of the beauty of the reverse
on those tokens.

I've taken a quick look at all the pictures. It's hard to identify them based on a picture, but I did my best, and i found several brunswick tokens.
Hope this info will help you in anyway, in case you didn't have the information yet.

There are 3 clear brunswick tokens, and some i suspect to be.
In the picture all the tokens with red corners might be a B-3.1 or B-3.2 token. (I've added the picture beneeth them for reference)
maybe you can check yourself if you can find any similarity.

25hn8z6.jpg

I've read alot about brunswick tokens, and I know them very well, and I registered to this forum, especially for one token in your lot.
I have a collection of almost every BB reverse token known (even paper tokens from the JM BBC) and i'll probably will post some pictures later,
but when i saw the new reverse variant of the BB-8 (your BB-8C token) i was :blob7: .
It's the first time i've seen this reverse. I know most collectors collect tokens for other reasons (location, history,etc..),
my only reason is the reverse style of the brunswick tokens. I'm interested in all the different variances, and tables pictured on them, and maybe one day
ill write something about all the information i gathered.

Now i would be lying if I would say that I'm not interested in trading for it, but most of all: gratulations on that find. It put a big smile on my face.
Now i'm new here, so I'm not sure if it's against forum rules to ask if its up for trade, but i'd like to add the token to my JM BBC reverse collection
to make the collection as complete as possible.

kind regards,

Solartje

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Carl! Can I say you da man? :o

Anyway I can tell you that some of your tokens will bring some $$$.

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info that you provided, you got me going back and double-checking all my tokens! Richard's Token Database provided me with lots of info, I believe they were the site that had sub-levels pertaining to Poolroom tokens. Check them out, if you haven't already. At this time I'm not trading or selling my tokens, at least not the ones that I've only found one of. But I will keep you in mind.
Posting some more Poolroom stuff I dug, the Brunswick I believe is a hotel key fob. There was a hotel called Brunswick here in Denver in the 1890's.
The Mile High Poolroom I'm still doing research on. In the business directories it was owned by a "colored man", who before owning the bar, was a "boot-jack". It was located in the African American section of Denver, known as 5-Points. I need to go downtown and research further.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Hotel Key Fob#1.jpg
    Hotel Key Fob#1.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Hotel Key Fob#2.jpg
    Hotel Key Fob#2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Mile High Pool Room #57.jpg
    Mile High Pool Room #57.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 527
OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
John in ID

I do plan to post everything, but I'm notorious at procrastinating. I need to see if I can just send them a large file of all the finds instead of breaking down individually. If not, I'll set aside an afternoon to do so.
Carl

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection
I had a lot when i was younger - never thought they had much value - WRONG
gave them away or sold for peanuts when I was a kid -I had a bunch of half dollar sized ones from
all sorts of places and advertising pre WWII
wish I had them back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread