Am I A Member Of The "I Found A Rolex" Club??

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Am I A Member Of The "I Found A Rolex" Club??

Hi Everyone....

I found this watch about 5 years ago, and completely forgot about it until today, when I dug out my boxes of found treasures. It appears to be a ladies Rolex, and here's the story:

I found it on my way back from an afternoon of detecting...I felt a tire going soft, so I pulled over to check it, and noticed the watch lying on the side of the highway, in the condition you see it in now.

It appeared to me that a car tire possibly caught the band, and flipped the watch over, breaking the crystal, and damaging the band. The watch doesn't run, but turning the crown moves the hands freely, and the date can be adjusted.

The markings on the dial read: ROLEX - Oyster Quartz Date - Superlative Chronometer- Officially Certified - Swiss Made

I'm wondering if I have a genuine Rolex, or a fake knockoff. AND...if it is real, can I find the owner after 5 or 6 years?

So now, I'll take it to a jeweler who can open it up and give me some info on it.

Anyway, if it IS the real deal, I have to say it's definitely one of my BEST finds!

(Sorry about the bad-quality pics...the best I could do with the camera I have.)

Larry G. :)

Attachments

• rolex~front.jpg
    rolex~front.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,734
  • rolex~back.jpg
    rolex~back.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,711
Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Re: Am I A Member Of The "I Found A Rolex" Club??

Good idea to take it to jeweler, replacement parts are expensive and there is a market. Just the gold value (if certified) is a great find! Detecting or not!

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II

treasurehunter13 said:
Good idea to take it to jeweler, replacement parts are expensive and there is a market. Just the gold value (if certified) is a great find! Detecting or not!

You expect a found watch to be a Timex...I can't believe I totally forgot about it, Treasurehunter.

Larry G. :)

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.

I found one that turned out to be a fake.. A Rolex dealer told me how to tell for sure. Remove the entire band from the case. A real one will have serial numbers on one side and the model number on the other side under the band... I now have two copies, both have all the correct markings on the back and front, even fooled my watchmaker relative. If running the real one will have a smooth moving hand operation, the fake will have a jerky, jumpy hand movement....
Richard

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer

It looks like a fake to be being that mine and all other genuine Rolexes have Rolex and serial number on the back of the watch. It looks as if your's is plain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread