Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello fellow diggers-

Wow what a day my two digging buddies Dave, Mark and I had yesterday digging in a civil war area in the western part of Virginia where we live, that reportedly has had several encampments, as the area we have permisison to hunt is several hundred acres. We've been digging the typical .58, enfiled and Richmond Sharps bullets as both troops frequently occupied the area we are dectecting, albeit at different times.

I got a good signal on my F-75 and noticed a piece of wire sticking out of the ground. So I removed the wire and put it in my trash bucket and rescanned the small hole I dug and realized there still was a good target in the hole, which I expected to be another drop .58, since I had just previously dug a .58 drop. After pinpointing, I soon realized the target was a good 5 inches in the ground. After a shovel full of dirt, I saw an oval disk the clearly discernable letters "U S" on the front. I think it took me about 5-10 seconds for my brain to engage to what I had actully just dug.

Albeit a few small cracks on the face, the buckle is beautiful intact, complete with hooks (puppy paws) on the back with a bit of leather still attached. I never would ever had imagined I would dig my first US Yankee belt buckle, but I did am thankful and blessed to have dug this piece of CW history from a field long forgotten about the lives of these brave soldiers.

Always, always rescan your hole after digging trash, as you never know what treasures still lie beneath your seach coil, waiting to see the light of day. Happy Hunting....

Best-

Wayne

Attachments

• Yankeebeltbuckle2011.jpg
    Yankeebeltbuckle2011.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 536
  • Yankeebeltbucklepuppypaws.jpg
    Yankeebeltbucklepuppypaws.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 534
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Oh man, that is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET with the leather attached :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread