Fugio Cent

wstgo

May 3, 2011
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
My first find occurred before I ever owned a metal detector. Back in the eighties a good friend of mine introduced me to metal detecting. He owned a fisher water detector that he and I would use during our lunch breaks. The first of these detecting breaks occurred in North Haven Ct at this football field that was once a parade ground for the local militia. The rule was since we only had one detector that one of us would dig and the other would detect. Anything found would belong to the person detecting. The first thing my buddy found was a Buffalo nickle and he did a little dance (dance of joy) and when he was done it was my turn. I was detecting along a chain link fence staying as close to it as I could without it going nuts. I got a hit in a clump of grass and my friend dug up this Fugio cent. We didn't know what it was at the time but he researched it when he got home. He called me all excited telling me what it was and that they were very hard to find. Since that day I have been hooked on detecting and still have that "First coin". I will keep that coin forever because it reminds me of those great times I had detecting with my good Friend. His name was Dick Zimmer and he passed a few years ago but I am grateful for the patience he had while teaching me about detecting.

Attachments

• Fugio front.JPG
    Fugio front.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 728
  • Fugio back.JPG
    Fugio back.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Truly a piece of American history and well-worth collecting. May be KM#34 (brass) or KM#EA34a (copper). This is a New Haven restrike, where UNITED is on the obverse left of the circle; and STATES is on the right. I believe this was designed by Benjamin Franklin.

OP
OP
wstgo

wstgo

May 3, 2011
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Actually this is not a "New Haven restrike" the New Haven restrikes were struck between 1860 and 1877. There are several differences between restrikes and original Fugios. Among the easiest to spot is that the G in FUGIO is not a C with a straight line and cross added to make a G but rather is a peculiar form of the letter with a cross stroke that only extends outward. Also note that there are no ornaments between the words in MIND YOUR BUSINESS. additionally, the date numerals are not the same in the restrikes, the first 7 has a club shapped down stroke and the second 7 is long and thin(it also has a broken end due to a die break).On the reverse of the restrikes the 13 linked rings are thinner when compared to the original Fugio. Here is a pic of a true "New Haven restrike"
As far as the UNITED being on the obverse side, the originals were done both ways, UNITED STATES and STATES UNITED

Attachments

• Fugio-Newman-104-FF_obv.jpg
    Fugio-Newman-104-FF_obv.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,038
  • Fugio-Newman-104-FF_rev.jpg
    Fugio-Newman-104-FF_rev.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,022

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Your coin is in such nice shape!! This is high on my wish list!!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wstgo said:
My first find occurred before I ever owned a metal detector. Back in the eighties a good friend of mine introduced me to metal detecting. He owned a fisher water detector that he and I would use during our lunch breaks. The first of these detecting breaks occurred in North Haven Ct at this football field that was once a parade ground for the local militia. The rule was since we only had one detector that one of us would dig and the other would detect. Anything found would belong to the person detecting. The first thing my buddy found was a Buffalo nickle and he did a little dance (dance of joy) and when he was done it was my turn. I was detecting along a chain link fence staying as close to it as I could without it going nuts. I got a hit in a clump of grass and my friend dug up this Fugio cent. We didn't know what it was at the time but he researched it when he got home. He called me all excited telling me what it was and that they were very hard to find. Since that day I have been hooked on detecting and still have that "First coin". I will keep that coin forever because it reminds me of those great times I had detecting with my good Friend. His name was Dick Zimmer and he passed a few years ago but I am grateful for the patience he had while teaching me about detecting.
That is a nice find, I am sure others would like it. :coffee2:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm speechless !!! ,,,, and thats rare ;D

OP
OP
wstgo

wstgo

May 3, 2011
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
thanks guys(and gals) :) I have not seen one on this forum yet (I could be wrong) I think i will be sending it in to get certified. anyone know the best place to do that?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Both ANACS and PCGS will authenticate the coin. But before sending it in, get a 2nd opinion from a good coin dealer near you. Hopefully someone already belonging to either PCGS or ANACS. You aren't trying to get a price, which should make them happy. Just an opinion on whether the coin is authentic or not. If not authentic, no need to waste money on certification.

Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread