My Best find with a great storry to go with it.

malherbe

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2004
I would like to share this story with the board as it as great treasure taile. My daughter and I have been detecting for about a year as a father/ daughter hobby in the weekends. I am originaly from denmark, europe and that is where this story begins. :)

We where at a local beach and found 2 diamonds rings ( see picture) as on of the rings where a wedding band with inscription in it I decided to contact the local newspaper to show my daughter the good deed of finding the owner of the rings. http://www.ugebladet.dk/nyheder/lokale_nyheder.epl?id=1840660 ( the newspaper is in danish so ...) :P

Anyway we got a lot of calls but all of the where from other people who had lost things and if we could come and help. Then an old man call with a great storry of 10 silver bars he had burried during the war (2 world war). I could not help myself and I told him I would come out on the following friday. I went to his barn and within 10 mins I would a plastic bag with something inside wrapped in foil paper (only reason it came up on the metal detector about 5" down) The old man look at the package and told me as he open it that it was probably some old papers he had dug down as he did not trust anybody. He open the silver foil rap and inside where a stack of 1,000 kr ( local currency of denmark) there where about 500 old notes ( total about $90,000) I could not control myself as this is a lot of money he gave me 6,000 kr ( $1,000) for the find and he got very very happy also. He told me how he was going to send money to his family in Australia. So this was a great day everthough normal finders fee in denmark is 10% the storry of the find makes up for the money. The bills where from 1972 and not in circulation in denmark anymore, but the bank change the money to new bills no problem.

As a twist to the storry I came back with my daughter the following day and the old man took me a side and told me not to use my detector in a certain place in the front yard under a big rock as he had again put the money in the ground. ( he did not trust the banks) ???

Go figur but a great storry.

If anybody are in the Atlanta area I would love to go and detect with somebody, please post me a note.

Th

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

malherbe

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2004
Sory I forgot to tell about what happent to the rings and the silver bars. The rings where valued at about $2,000 and nobody ever call, by law we had to had it into the police and got a finders feed of about $200 after nobody had claimed the rings for 3month stupid laws of denmark and I will never tell about my finds again. The silver bars where never found eventhough we spend some time searching for them at the old mans place.

Best

Jacob

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! Excellent story-- thank you for sharing!

I've heard there are some strict laws about detecting in most European countries. Very unfriendly. Any idea why Denmark would have such laws? Do they think there are historically important Viking treasures, or is it just greed?

OP
OP
M

malherbe

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2004
Well there are many things wrong in Europe with the goverment. In denmark it is like this. If you find anything that is more than 100 years old you have to turn it in to the museum or your are breaking the law. When I was at the police station with the ring they told me that anything above the value of $3,5 (20kr) that I find with my metal detactor that is not mine I have to turn it to the police department and they will then keep it for 3 month if nobody claims it they will sell the item on auction. I will get 10% in finders fee. Yeha right I will not be doing that anymore.

Now I am in Atlanta, I will treasure hunt over here now and I am excited about that. I use a Minelab Quarto that I just got the other day and it seems to good. I use a GTX 2500 Garrett in Europe and that was really good. I just think I have to get used to minelab and it will be excelent to.

On another note I just got my papers from the fisher experdition where I got a small share in the experdition next year and I will get to go on the shipwreak site and dive the site to find treasure I am really excited about that.

Well I guess that was a little more than you asked about but I was excited

C

Cherokee1955

Great Story, Malherbe how did you get accepted on the Fisher Expedition as this is Something I would Like to do also. I live about 60 miles north of Atlanta maybe we could plan an expedition around Atlanta somewhere. I also belong to a prospecting club in dalonega Ga.My email is [email protected]
Sincerely Cherokee

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Welcome to the site! It makes you wonder how much treasure goes unreported overseas with the gov.'s being so gready! I wouldn't blame anyone for not turning in a find and I consider myself pretty honest. hope you are as lucky here with your hunting. Cladius.

OP
OP
M

malherbe

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks all for the good words. I will tell you guys about my latest adventure in Florida. I left to go see the Fisher thing in Key west and could not help stopping by the beaches on the way had an extra week so I thought lets go. So I just introduced my girl friend to the metal detector hobby and we have a Quatro and a PI surf pro. We found a lot of new coins and on South beach finally got lucky with a mens Platinum wedding ring and a gold ring set with a pearl. So we where happy and had a great time. I hope to go again soon and hope to find more gold.

Thanks again for reading my storry

I will post pictures when I get my digital working

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread