Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jharris473 said:
I'm curious, where did you find this beautiful coin?

TxGold

It´s found on an island in Denmark, Europe.
It is in the context of a trading station from the Viking age.

:icon_thumleft:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Wow....what a beautiful coin :notworthy:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:
A very nice coin :o :o :o but isn't it called a Denier, not a Denarius :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
A very nice coin :o :o :o but isn't it called a Denar, not a Denarius :icon_thumleft:

SS

Your right Silver Searcher.
I just thought the name for Denar in English was Denarius. My fault.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Silver Searcher said:
A very nice coin :o :o :o but isn't it called a Denar, not a Denarius :icon_thumleft:

SS

I wouldn't mind making a mistake like that, if I could find coins like that one :notworthy:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
TheDane said:
Silver Searcher said:
A very nice coin :o :o :o but isn't it called a Denar, not a Denarius

I wouldn't mind making a mistake like that, if I could find coins like that one :notworthy:

SS

yeap, another hole I need filling in the album :hello2:

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I can just conclude that the general interest (excluding the Brits) in these european finds is minimal ! :crybaby2:
Wont bother posting more of this "way too old" stuff !
Sorry to have "spammed" you "Best finds" category with junk.

:hello:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Ah, but it is a FABULOUS coin! Don't give up on the rest of us because perhaps we're s-l-o-w to respond! I usually spend my time in the Today's Finds forum and even so, don't have time to look at everything there. I only check Best Finds once or twice monthly. So, CONGRATULATIONS on your excellent coin and best wishes for more in your future! Andi

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Okay, I can just conclude that the general interest (excluding the Brits) in these european finds is minimal ! :crybaby2:

You get this quite a lot I'm afraid :-\ you know as well as the Uk guys here, that to find one of these beuties is rare :o you will only get a handfull of replies from the US members(usually the same ones) who will appreciate this coin :icon_thumleft:...Keep posting :icon_thumleft:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
TheDane said:

You get this quite a lot I'm afraid :-\ you know as well as the Uk guys here, that to find one of these beuties is rare :o you will only get a handfull of replies from the US members(usually the same ones) who will appreciate this coin :icon_thumleft:...Keep posting :icon_thumleft:

SS

what he said :icon_thumright:

No blame direct here, just an observation. Its mostly about context, these coins have little 'place' in the US, they will never likely be found (never say never), & the History is too far away to get interested in. Unless your a certain type of person.
All I know is that the US folk have given me a far better appreciation of Georgian/Victorian items I chucked in my drawers. In the same way that you show me coins I've never seen, but do kind of understand :wink: Just enjoy posting, & don't count or care about responses or number of views etc...

I would like to see more of your everyday finds & not just the best ones?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate that coin but not because I know anything about it. Probably most of us "over here" don't really have a feel for how good it actually is. We don't know the history or age, it looks like any number of early coins found "over there" and we don't recognize true rarity and value of such pieces, we are not exposed to them. Is this coin perhaps so rare as to be banner? Can it be said that there are very few pieces known in collections? Even if not, it certainly is spectacular. Hat's off to TheDane on a great find.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
I appreciate that coin but not because I know anything about it. Probably most of us "over here" don't really have a feel for how good it actually is. We don't know the history or age, it looks like any number of early coins found "over there" and we don't recognize true rarity and value of such pieces, we are not exposed to them. Is this coin perhaps so rare as to be banner? Can it be said that there are very few pieces known in collections? Even if not, it certainly is spectacular. Hat's off to TheDane on a great find.

Good reply....Here is a link to more imformation, I hope you don't mind Dane :icon_thumleft:

http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/flouispcoins.html

SS

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
TheDane said:

SS

what he said :icon_thumright:

No blame direct here, just an observation. Its mostly about context, these coins have little 'place' in the US, they will never likely be found (never say never), & the History is too far away to get interested in. Unless your a certain type of person.
All I know is that the US folk have given me a far better appreciation of Georgian/Victorian items I chucked in my drawers. In the same way that you show me coins I've never seen, but do kind of understand :wink: Just enjoy posting, & don't count or care about responses or number of views etc...

I would like to see more of your everyday finds & not just the best ones?

What you both said.

If a person makes a post with the "expectation" of getting "X" number of replies, and then gets upset when they don't, well maybe they shouldn't post to avoid that disappointment. I recently posted a 5 silver coin spill found, with a video. Nothing special, but 5 silvers in one hole is quite scarce for sure. I got one reply, I though it strange as I am quite certain that had the same post been made by another member that it would probably have gotten 20 or so replies.

Moral of story don't let that bother you. Just as they say there is no one perfect detector, there is probably no one perfect forum, but this is a good one, particularly if you need IDing on a find.

Furthermore YOU KNOW what you found, would having a thumbs up, or good find from someone you don't know really make that much difference ? I'll admit it is nice. Perhaps a more specific title to your post may also have helped. Like someone else mentioned, I certainly do not read every post on here.

Good luck out there. That coin IS in nice condition for lying around all those years.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Hello TNetters :)

I want to show you my best coin find till now of the year 2011.

This coin is a Carolingian Silver Denar of the emperor Louis Pius and it is minted around 820 AD.
The coin type is called a Christiana Religio Denar or Temple Denar.
The quality of the coin is outstanding considering the age. :hello:

That is very cool! Congratulations on a very good find.

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cant imagine finding something that old you are blessed with great places to hunt keep showing us your finds silver,gold,copper,lead who cares as long as its old !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions