After hours of sorting...

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
My great grandfather's coin collection. After about 3 or 4 hours of sorting the loose stuff (we haven't gone through the rolls, though he was smart and wrote the dates on them) we approximately have the following:

Several dollars in wheat pennies ranging from 1909 on up.
A few steel cents.
Several indian head pennies in various conditions.
Several dollars in war time nickels.
Several dollars in buffalo nickels.
2 Morgan dollars:
1889 no mint uncirculated
1890 circulated but all of "liberty" still readable
His keychain that boasts a 1923 Liberty dollar in amazing condition (and the keychain doesn't damage the coin in any way)
Various dates and conditions of British pennies, half pennies, and one 3pence
Handful of silver dimes.
A few Mercs in various conditions.

And we aren't finished. We still have about $30 in rolled coinage to sort out, and a bunch of foreign currency. There are at least a dozen sets as well.

No key dates. No errors.

Unfortunately some greedy people over the years took a lot of the valuable stuff from the collection. We didn't find any half dollars or quarters. I'm also missing a box that is theoretically buried in my closet lol.

In the collection between my fiance, mother, and myself:
Various silver half dollars and silver quarters.
A crappy walking liberty half.
A V nickel.
A shiny Merc that my fiance brought me from cash register that the guy at the coin shop said was $5
A shiny 1938 buffalo that I found in a register that the same guy said was $30

Most of our coins have been sorted into ziplock bags by decade (I'm fairly certain ziplock bags aren't good for coins, but it's temporary and they're all in fairly bad condition).

If anyone can possibly provide me with a comprehensive list of key dates, semi-keys, and approximate values, I would appreciate it greatly. I'm getting tired of bouncing back and forth between various pages of coins.about.com... and I'm really afraid of overlooking something important.

Because there's so much, if you want to see pictures, just respond to the topic with what you wanna see a pic of.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread