Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this thing around 6 years ago in our all time favorite field.

It was around 11:00 pm, I think, maybe later. We were hunting at night to beat the heat and utilize all the

hours in the day, to stretch it out if you know what I mean. A warm summer breeze was blowing.

Anyway, I had always told my two partners Weaver & Armstrong that I thought this field held a Bust Half dollar.

Me and Weaver were hunting together this night, I got a good solid nickel hit on my XLT,

I had high hopes for this signal because this field was a mega producer for old coins and buttons,

probably around 20 or so old coins, none newer than 1841 that I remember, and around 250 buttons,

no telling how many thimbles. When I dug it I was surprised to find a Bust Half Dollar, well needless

to say I was pretty excited to say the least, but right away I realized something was wrong with this thing.

It read like a nickel and it was very light and it didn't have the ding to it when you flipped it.

Not only was all this wrong, it had a big crack in it.

Well then like a dumb butt I called Weaver down to show him my find, I don't remember if he was coming

or going but he found a beautiful Bust dime about 6 feet from me, it was real and I felt cheated.

This wasn't the first time he did this sort of thing to me, I don't call him to brag anymore, at least

not until I have hunted 25' in every direction of my find.

Well I posted it on a few sites and then put it in my display case and kind of forgot about it.

Seems like I researched it a little bit to no avail, I remember some replies where people said the

counterfeits could be worth more than their real counterparts, I just didn't think this could be true.

I had always held this coin in low regard.

About 10 days or so ago I get this pm from a guy named Mark who wants to buy this little beauty

for $500.00 dollars. Hot Dang, I am excited now, I emailed him back to explain that I had never

sold anything, and probably wouldn't unless my little girl looks up at me and says "Daddy I am hungry."

All this got my curiosity up, Mark went on to explain that he thought I had a new variety 1813 1/B

known obverse with an unknown/unlisted reverse, he went on to say that I might be able to get

more for the coin. I sent pictures to a friend of a friend who just happens to also be an expert

in Bust Coins. His name is Brad and he owns a couple of coin shops. He looked at it and emailed

me back that I DID NOT have a NEW reverse but one that hadn't been seen since the publication

of Riddells monograph in 1845. He said even though it was extra ugly, it was

sexy with a neat history being the first one seen since it's mention in Riddells monograph 166 years

ago. He said it could bring around $1000.00 at auction. Both of these guys are alright.

If it hadn't been for Mark I would have never known the true value of this coin. Marks

honesty and help was amazing and I am grateful to him and Brad. I am going to send

Mark a little present in the mail and I am going to take Brad to lunch.

This hobby leads to a lot of good things and many good people.

If anything happens to me, I have told my wife and little girl to sell this coin to Mark for $500.00.

Thanks again Mark.

Attachments

• DSCN0012.jpg
    DSCN0012.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • DSCN0012.jpg
    DSCN0012.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 2
F

Felinepeachy

OMG Deno, that's an awesome story. I hope you're going to treat that coin with some respect now LOL. Congrats on a great find with some interesting history. :notworthy: :hello2: :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find and I like counterfeits quite a bit. But the part I don't understand is if he is comparing this to the genuine varieties or known counterfeits? I don't believe a counterfeit not matching the listed varieties for authentic coins is really going to be a big selling point, and that's what it sounds like he is doing? Anyway, $5.00 or $500 doesn't matter because you're keeping it, and you don't really need someone telling you something to appreciate it. Only one of my counterfeits is worth a few dollars but I like em all. :thumbsup:

KY Relic Hunter

Jan 8, 2011
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deno,

You and that darn Weaver went without me that night, and a good thing to, cause you know the Nautilus could have just as easily found that coin.

Actually great find! I am just sorry I wasn't in the field that night to watch you dig it out of the ground.

We need to get the farmer to deep plow the field again, and go find some more goodies, because you know there is still plenty of buttons and coins in that field that are just too dang deep to get a signal.

Regards,

Jim

OP
OP
Deno

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
OMG Deno, that's an awesome story. I hope you're going to treat that coin with some respect now LOL. Congrats on a great find with some interesting history. :notworthy: :hello2: :headbang:

Thanks Mia, Mark made my week with his sharp eye.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. I do think a lot more of it now.

It's like the story of the ugly duckling. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Deno

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
That's a cool find and I like counterfeits quite a bit. But the part I don't understand is if he is comparing this to the genuine varieties or known counterfeits? I don't believe a counterfeit not matching the listed varieties for authentic coins is really going to be a big selling point, and that's what it sounds like he is doing? Anyway, $5.00 or $500 doesn't matter because you're keeping it, and you don't really need someone telling you something to appreciate it. Only one of my counterfeits is worth a few dollars but I like em all. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch, they are comparing it to known counterfeits. I know Mark has to be an expert to have picked up on the
diffrence in my reverse. Brad is famous in the coin world, I can't give any more away on Brad because I just realized
I forgot to get his permission to use his name. Iron Patch, I have been reading your stuff for years and I know you know
what you are talking about and you are more than an acomplished hunter. Thanks for looking

OP
OP
Deno

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY Relic Hunter said:
Deno,

You and that darn Weaver went without me that night, and a good thing to, cause you know the Nautilus could have just as easily found that coin.

Actually great find! I am just sorry I wasn't in the field that night to watch you dig it out of the ground.

We need to get the farmer to deep plow the field again, and go find some more goodies, because you know there is still plenty of buttons and coins in that field that are just too dang deep to get a signal.

Regards,

Jim

Jim, there is no doubt you and that Nautilus are dangerous. I would put you and that thing up against anybody and

any machine on depth. But you know me and Weaver have an advantage in the trash with our XLT's.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
Iron Patch said:

Iron Patch, they are comparing it to known counterfeits. I know Mark has to be an expert to have picked up on the
diffrence in my reverse. Brad is famous in the coin world, I can't give any more away on Brad because I just realized
I forgot to get his permission to use his name. Iron Patch, I have been reading your stuff for years and I know you know
what you are talking about and you are more than an acomplished hunter. Thanks for looking

That's good news. I follow counterfeit British and French coins quite closely, Spanish a little, but American I am totally unaware of so it's great to know people are serious about the counterfeits and collect them. That was a question I asked myself and posted a few years back but only now does it seem to be answered. I am one of the people who would prefer a counterfeit over the real deal for several types of coins.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I saw this topic, awesome find Deno that's one neat coin which I can appreciate, is it made of lead? I just came across a 1907 halve dollar in a collection I bought at an auction and it seems to be made of lead and it turns black sitting around but a nice wipe with a rag it shines right back up.
Pictures taken with cell phone it actually looks lots better. Nice fine details.

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 981
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 976
OP
OP
Deno

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marchas45 said:
I'm glad I saw this topic, awesome find Deno that's one neat coin which I can appreciate, is it made of lead? I just came across a 1907 halve dollar in a collection I bought at an auction and it seems to be made of lead and it turns black sitting around but a nice wipe with a rag it shines right back up.
Pictures taken with cell phone it actually looks lots better. Nice fine details.

Marchas, I am not sure what is is made of, my buddie Weaver thinks it's pewter. Brad says it German or nickel silver.
I know it is light. You need to have yours checked out, it's a lot nicer looking than mine.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find
congrats.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread