Counterfeit Gold Spanish 100 Reales

KY Relic Hunter

Jan 8, 2011
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a coin that I found while relic hunting an old tavern site in Central Kentucky with my relic hunting buddies Deno and Weaver.

The coin appears to be a counterfeit Spanish 100 Reale that is from the reign of Queen Isabella from around 1864.

What I think is the neatest thing about this coin is that when I found it, I knew it was a fake coin because I recognized the Spanish markings, I could tell it was made of copper, and I could see the gold wash on the coin.

What I did not know when I found it was that the Spanish even had Reales made of gold. I have found about 40 Spanish Reale coins, cut coins, and Spanish cobs in the past years, but I never knew that they had made 100 Reale coins.

That is what I love about this hobby, I have learned so much from the relics that I have pulled from the ground.

I can't wait until it cools down a little this fall, because I am ready to take to the fields in search of treasure.

If anyone has any more information on what the counterfeit Spanish 100 Reales might be worth, please let me know.

Attachments

• Back 100 Reales.JPG
    Back 100 Reales.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,638
  • Front 100 Reales.JPG
    Front 100 Reales.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,603
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet Jim, yet another hunt I wasn't invited to. :laughing7:

You should post some of the other stuff you have in that relic and coin museum of yours.

This guy has found it all and then some. Enjoy your day of playing music Jim.

All the best to you.

OP
OP
KY Relic Hunter

KY Relic Hunter

Jan 8, 2011
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deno,

You are getting old. You were invited to this hunt because you and Weaver were with me when I found this coin... I am almost positive that I found this the same day that Weaver found the 3 cent piece at the Tavern site.

Of course they say that your memory is one of the first things to go...

Now what was your name again?

Regards,

KY Relic Hunter

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY Relic Hunter said:
Deno,

You are getting old. You were invited to this hunt because you and Weaver were with me when I found this coin... I am almost positive that I found this the same day that Weaver found the 3 cent piece at the Tavern site.

Of course they say that your memory is one of the first things to go...

Now what was your name again?

Regards,

KY Relic Hunter

You are not that funny, but you are almost right. I think you found it the week before. The day
Weaver found the 3 center, it was the only coin found. I think anyway.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats so sweet.....you two are losing your minds together. :laughing7:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only say that during the reign of Isabel II, was the period that most fakes are made, and is very common to find counterfeit coins of that period in my country ... anyway is a great find, CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbsup:
H

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
lookindown said:
Thats so sweet.....you two are losing your minds together. :laughing7:

Now thats funny. That is one big Bass.
Not as big as the pic makes it look....just 6 pounds.

Beercanman

Feb 26, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Hello, I live in central Kentucky and am looking for some people to hunt with. It is my first year detecting and I have been lucky enough to find 3 Spanish silvers so far. I would love to get out hunting with others as I have only detected alone so far. I have a few good sites that arent hunted out yet, and permission to hunt sites I haven't had time to make it to yet. We can go to one of my sites or one of yours. Shoot me an email if you are interested or know any other detectorists that are. [email protected] I have an etrac and a propointer, and want to learn all the unwritten rules of detecting with groups. Look forward to hunting -Patrick

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
I can only say that during the reign of Isabel II, was the period that most fakes are made, and is very common to find counterfeit coins of that period in my country ... anyway is a great find, CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbsup:
H

Agreed, interesting, but to answer your question - it would be less than $10 over here.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now, that is very unique.

All the best,

Lanny

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice counterfeit :thumbsup:

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beercanman said:
Hello, I live in central Kentucky and am looking for some people to hunt with. It is my first year detecting and I have been lucky enough to find 3 Spanish silvers so far. I would love to get out hunting with others as I have only detected alone so far. I have a few good sites that arent hunted out yet, and permission to hunt sites I haven't had time to make it to yet. We can go to one of my sites or one of yours. Shoot me an email if you are interested or kknow any other detectorists that are. [email protected] I have an etrac and a propointer, and want to learn all the unwritten rules of detecting with groups.
>Look forward to hunting -Patrick
Beercanman said:
Hello, I live in central Kentucky and am looking for some people to hunt with. It is my first year detecting and I have been lucky enough to find 3 Spanish silvers so far. I would love to get out hunting with others as I have only detected alone so far. I have a few good sites that arent hunted out yet, and permission to hunt sites I haven't had time to make it to yet. We can go to one of my sites or one of yours. Shoot me an email if you are interested or know any other detectorists that are. [email protected] I have an etrac and a propointer, and want to learn all the unwritten rules of detecting with groups. Look forward to hunting -Patrick

Come to Texas, I'm looking for someone to hunt with myself.. :-))

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread