Steam train journal box cover

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a journal box cover from a steam train that was found in my field approx. 6 inches down.Funny thing is we are 1/4 mile and across the river from the tracks,the field is also full of railroad spikes and assorted iron pieces,all between 5 an 7 inches deep.The journal box cover measures 8 inches long x 5 1/2 inches wide.I researched the railroad and the Rutland and Whitehall line was bought out in the early 1900's

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 909
Upvote 0

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hi, Its possible that one of the steam trains that passed by that area had a boiler explosion that could have sent parts of the train and pieces of the railroad that far :dontknow: Nice relic :headbang: Thanks for sharing :icon_sunny: Paul :coffee2:

OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pganjon said:
Hi, Its possible that one of the steam trains that passed by that area had a boiler explosion that could have sent parts of the train and pieces of the railroad that far :dontknow: Nice relic :headbang: Thanks for sharing :icon_sunny: Paul :coffee2:
hmm interesting,very possible

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool piece. I think those are worth some money to railroad collectors too. Nice job! Niffler

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering the SAME thing!! "How on earth did that thing find it's way from the inside of a train, to the outside???". Cool find!!

DeJa

walhooey

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
northern california
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter, garrett gta1000, garrettatgold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for southern Pacific RR for 37 years and I have noticed where they have changed the tracks from one side of a river to te other any many places. Usually due to soil conditions and/or movement of the river. It is quite common in the past.

OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
walhooey said:
I worked for southern Pacific RR for 37 years and I have noticed where they have changed the tracks from one side of a river to te other any many places. Usually due to soil conditions and/or movement of the river. It is quite common in the past.
i never knew that, thanks.according ot the town records the tracks have always been there,maybe someone found it and dropped it,it was found where a lot of brick pieces and a ton of square nails were found.so who knows.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interesting find :thumbsup:

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe there was a trading post and river crossing close by.. Just a thought..

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread