Largest and smallest coin(Tiniest tiny roman coin and largest Dutch 3 gulden)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure there are larger coins out there, but these are mine, just normal circulation coins, not any sort of special coins.

Here is the description of the largest and smallest that I have (up to now) found:

Descriptions SMALLEST
Smallest coin is a Roman MINIMS or MINI MINIMUS, and were locally producted in England.
Diameter : 7 to 7.5mm
Weight : 0.23g (or 3.4grain)
Thickness: 1.2mm

Obverse. A soldier carring a spear which is placed horizontally. There is something on the left top side but I cannot see what that is. It is almost impossible to make a photo so you can see it. You have to have it in your hand.

Reverse. On the left of the coin is a right side profile of a person (showing from just above his nose down to his chest), on the right side of the coin are the letters S O B C (the S I am not 100% sure of).

NOTE THESE COINS ARE VERY RARE DUE TO THE EASE OF LOSS & DIFICULTY IN FINDING

Description LARGEST
Largest coin is a 3 gulden silver coin, 1714, from The Netherlands
Diameter : 42.5mm
Weight : 29.76g
Thickness: 2.5mm
Obverse. Image of Dutch maiden standing with liberty hat and spear, leaning on a bible on the altar.
Reverse. The crowned shield of The Netherlands

Added two photos.
One showing the smallest and largest together and for comparison a US penny.
And the other showing both sides of the smallest (Mini).

If you want to see some other small coins that I have found look here : http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209086.msg1496014.html#msg1496014

Attachments

• Smallest and Largest coins 1.jpg
    Smallest and Largest coins 1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 3,732
  • Smallest coin.jpg
    Smallest coin.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Smallest coin_resize.jpg
    Smallest coin_resize.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,100
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Biggest and smallest coin

packerbacker said:
Neat. I wouldn't have known the small ones were coins.
I didn't either, until I found a few. I thought they were just bits of coins until I really looked. All have some sort of obverse and reverse on them but most you cannot make out what exactly they are. Pity I don't know how to show one here full size (real small), then you could really see how large they are. I can imagine it was easy to lose them through the poor clothing they wore.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Biggest and smallest coin

wow that is seriously very small!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Largest and smallest coin

El_Bandido said:
Thanks El Bandido, yes the tiny coins are really neat. I just saw one on ebay for sale!

Attachments

• reduced ad.jpg
    reduced ad.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,349

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to see some REAL big money, check out "Swedish Plate money", especially the 10 daller. Sorry, I dont have a pic of mine to show, only smaller denominations, 4 daller, 2 daller, 1 daller and ½ daller.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
If you want to see some REAL big money, check out "Swedish Plate money", especially the 10 daller. Sorry, I dont have a pic of mine to show, only smaller denominations, 4 daller, 2 daller, 1 daller and ½ daller.
Hello Maipenral! Thanks for your comment. Yes, I do know about the Swedish money, although I have never found one of the large Ore's (yet), so the 3 gulden piece is my largest (I think). The Ore is a few mm larger coming in at 47mm compared to my 45mm, but don't know what the weight is. And I have seen the plate money too someplace, its huge. Not really for the common man going to the market, the largest, what you mentioned measured 13"x25" and weight of 44 pounds. Can you image getting change back with that Daller or Dollar when you bought something that cost 1 cent? MG.

The ore is larger than my coin, I do recognize that, AND importantly it is a circulation coin, unlike the plate money, which was really a sort of emergency money due to the Swedish at that time not having any silver, but loads of copper. Even then smallest of the plate money would rip a hole in your pants pocket while walking to the market... so not handy.

Here are photos of each:

Attachments

• sweden large ore 47mm.jpg
    sweden large ore 47mm.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,451
  • swedish4daler1731 plate money_resize.jpg
    swedish4daler1731 plate money_resize.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,455

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my two.
Smallest is Roman Minim. at 8mm. and weighs in at. 0.5grm.
Largest is George 111 Penny at. 35mm. and weighs in at 26.8grm. John.

Attachments

• w407.jpg
    w407.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,653
  • w406.jpg
    w406.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,794
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
john hutchison said:
Here are my two.
Hey John, great, thanks for the photo. The large coin is a cartwheel is it not? I have also found a few of those, wow, heavy things. Imagine getting paid for a months work in the field in Cartwheels and have to walk back home.....
Earl

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
john hutchison said:
Here are my two.
Hey John, great, thanks for the photo. The large coin is a cartwheel is it not? I have also found a few of those, wow, heavy things. Imagine getting paid for a months work in the field in Cartwheels and have to walk back home.....
Earl
Yes they were known as "cartwheel" pennies. there is only one date on them of 1797, there was also a twopence which would have been twice the weight. They were discontinued after only a short time as both coins were in copper and were expensive to produce. l have never found the twopence but have about 6 of the pennies. John.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions