My Find of a Lifetime: 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime... XF Details!!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
005.JPG
006.JPG

Back in March I dug my find of a lifetime; a beautiful 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime. I put it in a safe spot, deciding whether or not I was going to have it slabbed. Part of the problem was not knowing how it would look after conservation. Well, I decided to submit it last month, and it is in fact the rare LM-3 variety. As suspected it came back Damaged, (as most "grounders" do) with XF Details. I wish the conservation had more of an impact on the coin's appearance, but overall I am happy that I now own a certified rare US Flowing Hair Dime!

005a.JPG 006a.JPG

005aa.JPG 008aa.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
cntrydncr1 said:
It is a beautiful coin Neil! Do you plan to keep it??

If I can get a good price for it, I think I am going to sell it. I am afraid to put it on the auctions though. I need to look at my options.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find for sure, why would any one damage a coin like that. It goes show you not to trust just any one, I would not let out of my site. :headbang:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Brian C. said:
Nice find for sure, why would any one damage a coin like that. It goes show you not to trust just any one, I would not let out of my site. :headbang:

I think what you are saying is why would it be graded "damaged"? If you look closely, there is some minor pitting on the silver. 200 plus years of laying underground will do that.

ocjeff said:
great find, damaged ???? looks great to me!

Here is a larger photo of the coin before it was sent in for conservation. A lot of what you see in the photo is surface dirt which was removed by NCS. A lot of the discoloration is gone as well, but not all of it. There is also a scratch at the 10 O'clock position next to the rosette. The other marks that look like scratches are actually file marks. The dies were imperfect in 1795 and the excess metal was actually filed down!

Even the slightest surface damage will cause it to be marked "Damaged". Whether it is the slight discoloration, the scratch or both I do not know, but I was expecting it to be marked that way. Of course I was hoping I would be pleasantly surprised!

006.JPG

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your coin when you first posted it. GREAT FIND!!! Lucky.....but luck only works so far.
A person's got to turn on his detector, spend time in the field, work hard.....and you did all of that.
Hope you get "lucky" again, and get some more early Americana.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Glad you got it slabbed, Neil. An excellent coin regardless of how long it was buried.

Yes, I can see some pitting. Only 86,000 pieces minted for both 1794 and 1795 half dimes, compared to 36,000 for a chain 1793 cent, and 63,000 pieces for a 1793 wreath cent.

Wish I could afford to bid on it: one nice piece of history!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Neil; Awesome Find. !!!!

I think they lowered the Grade due to the damage but it's just a guess on my part ok. Way to go. PEACE:RONB :headbang:

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XF condition! I love details on it, very nice coin, nothing like finding it yourself this way you are sure of what your getting,I would keep it but then again it's your decision.

Congrats, HH

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most people thank they're lucky stars if they dig a late 19th century coin in shape as good as that!!
-CHN

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Very nice find. Who cares if it's damaged. I would love to find that. Keeper for sure. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to have one of those "Damaged" coins...lol :icon_thumleft:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find.