Why this is my best find!

franking

Nov 10, 2011
Western Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6, Gold Mnt King Cobra, Discovery 2000, BH Lonestar, Coinmaster 4000/D, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why this cached mason jar is my bestest find!

Although I have found gold, silver rings, cool relics, this one find trumped them all. Not for the monetary value but for the experience and potential. :o
Digging in an old pine island as I call it. I unearthed a mason jar stashed under a large boulder in a hole. I brought it home, careful cleaned and opened the jar.
This old mason jar had about 9 dog tags and a cloth inside. :dontknow:
Although at the time I was disappointed :'( having thought it was full of silver and gold, it was the potential and excitement that it brought that makes it my best find. Imaging next time I will find a cache of coins or jewels in the next jar. :notworthy:

Attachments

• MasonJar1.JPG
    MasonJar1.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,851
  • MasonJar2.JPG
    MasonJar2.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,801
Upvote 0

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think we all think about finding a jar full of coins, good story. :coffee2:

OP
OP
franking

franking

Nov 10, 2011
Western Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6, Gold Mnt King Cobra, Discovery 2000, BH Lonestar, Coinmaster 4000/D, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
texastee2007 said:
Think about the life time of family friends you may have found, the children all the way to old folks who's best friend and loyal companion was their pet. They must have been remarkable and loyal members of the family to be placed with such love in that old jar.

Yes - In thinking about who, where and why.. Dog Tags in jar. I felt immediately compelled to return it to its resting spot from whence it emerged. So I did bury it back in the same spot with a prayer.

I still think about it a lot. In a curious good sense.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
franking

franking

Nov 10, 2011
Western Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Any dates on the tags?
Sad but beautiful find.
Carl

At the time of finding the jar with the dog tags and opening it. It was difficult to get past the very strong odor of dog! I did not have my glasses on nor a magnifier handy, so when I looked at a few of the tags I was unable to get the dates from them. In fact, I quickly put the tags and cloth back in the jar and closed it so I could breath fresh air again. I should have at least got dates from them.. I will know better next time something like this turns up.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
franking said:
texastee2007 said:
Think about the life time of family friends you may have found, the children all the way to old folks who's best friend and loyal companion was their pet. They must have been remarkable and loyal members of the family to be placed with such love in that old jar.

Yes - In thinking about who, where and why.. Dog Tags in jar. I felt immediately compelled to return it to its resting spot from whence it emerged. So I did bury it back in the same spot with a prayer.

I still think about it a lot. In a curious good sense.
I do the same thing when human bones in the field :laughing7:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post!...I think everybody who has a pet or lost 1 recently can relate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread